Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwaves ignoring being assigned to burrows  (Read 1312 times)

NGgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwaves ignoring being assigned to burrows
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:26:57 pm »

So I created a burrow in a space I wanted a carpenter to wall himself into and assigned him to it, he just ignored the assignment and carried on loafing around at the wagon with no job so I tried extending my burrow across the stairs and other paths he'd need to get to the place. Still no joy, what gives?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Dwaves ignoring being assigned to burrows
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:30:38 pm »

someone else took the job?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:32:20 pm »

The material for the job must also be inside his burrow.  And he must have the labor turned on (carpenter if it's wood, mason if it's stone).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

NGgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:35:34 pm »

someone else took the job?
I'm holding off on setting the wall to be built until the carpenter gets over to the burrow.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 01:45:44 pm »

The non-civilian alert burrows do not force a dwarf to move or stay anywhere - they just limit the items he can use when on a job to the items within that burrow. So if you set up a nice burrow several layers underground and assign a dwarf to it he can still wind up wandering around the surface stargazing just before getting sniped by an elite goblin bowman.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 01:53:13 pm »

The non-civilian alert burrows do not force a dwarf to move or stay anywhere - they just limit the items he can use when on a job to the items within that burrow. So if you set up a nice burrow several layers underground and assign a dwarf to it he can still wind up wandering around the surface stargazing just before getting sniped by an elite goblin bowman.

They don't prevent the dwarf from pathing outside the burrow.  They do prevent the dwarf from taking jobs outside, or using items outside it.  That includes going on break in outside the burrow or sleeping/eating outside the burrow.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

NGgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 02:41:50 pm »

Ah, thanks guys, I had the idea that burrows forced a dwarf to path into and stay inside it.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 02:48:51 pm »

Ah, thanks guys, I had the idea that burrows forced a dwarf to path into and stay inside it.
When a dwarf is restricted to a burrow via the alert status, this is true, though you can't assign specific dwarves to burrows through that means and the alert burrow overrides all other burrows.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 03:12:40 pm »

Can't find a better thread so I'll ask here.

I have a moat/wall on the surface, with some 20 dogs/puppies roaming inside the fenced area, wich is entirely pasture-zoned for said dogs.
Z-1 is the trade depot.
Z-2 and below is the whole fortress.
I've  set a burrow encompassing the entire fortress. Everything except surface level.

Siege comes while I'm trading with the caravan, so I put my civilians on 'danger' alert, wich forces them into the bigass fortress burrow. I get a bunch of job cancellations (walls upside, woodchopping) so I know it's working.

The siege force is slightly bigger than expected, so I want to wait for them on the depot level (z-1) and fight with my military together with the caravan guards and some traps.

They come inside my surface walled area and start fighting with the dogs. Some dogs die, A LOT of dogs start running everywhere, a goblin die.
Now pretty much everyone with hauling jobs enabled ignore the burrow. I mean completely. They go for the dogs' corpses, they try to take back the dogs into the pasture area, they go for the goblin's loot.

What's the point of civilian alerts if they completely ignore the assigned burrow?
Is there any way to prevent this?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »

Were the dogs and goblins in the aboveground place, and was that place in the burrow?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 10:02:01 am »

Dogs and goblins are above ground, NOT in the burrow.
Depot level (ground -1) and everything below is in the 'danger' burrow, where everyone is supposed to stay.

Dwarves zerg outside, ignoring the burrow, to take the dogs' corpses, to loot the single dead goblin and to put the scattered dogs back inside their pasture zone.

Dogs' corpses can be temporarily ignored with global orders.
Goblin loot can be forbidden.
But they still rush outside to bring back all the dogs.

Am I supposed to delete the pasture zone and reset it when the siege is over?

What's the point of a burrow if I still have to somehow forbid everything outside to force them inside?

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 10:43:41 am »

You are right, it isn't supposed to work that way.  I haven't seen a problem with dwarves ignoring a civilian alert to process hauling jobs outside of the burrow.  I think the first thing I would check is that the burrow is actually linked to the civilian alert.  It's an easy mistake to make and I do it often.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

magicwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 01:28:09 pm »

If you go into the orders screen, you can autoforbid animal corpses that weren't killed through hunting and enemy corpses/items as well which is a work around for this behavior. When my animals are getting killed, I typically delete their pasture as well.
If I wanted to do things the "easy way", then I wouldn't be playing Dwarf Fortress.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 02:03:15 pm »

there used to be a bug where dwarfs would keep on moving towards a job even when it was canceled due to a burrow or other cause, but this sounds a bit more complicated and it was supposed to be fixed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 10:04:24 pm »

I'm seeing my soldiers ignore Defend Burrow, as if I never even setup the squad schedule.  They just walk right out and die.  Sorta stinks this way.  Something changed for the worse.  I figure its along the lines of this minecart, can go in and out of burrow bug, but I dunno.  Wish it were the old way, so my murderholes worked.

I can duplicate this Shizuka.  I had a dwarf in a squad, during a siege do just that today.  He was ordered and active, to a 1x1 murderhole burrow.  He left it, ran out the goblin grinder, and stopped ontop of a war dog, that eventually died.  But war dog wasn't even dead, or assigned to anyone.  It was just there on a restraint, then that order breaking soldier, decided to walk back through the goblin grinder to the danger burrow. 

As I had squad set to send just 5 to Defend Burrow, I figure, when the broken AI drew this fella out, another came up and replaced him, creating a loop effect.  I can definately reproduce this.  And it has something to do with the non citizened burrowed restrictions.  Both alert and scheduled, are broken right now.  I have no idea about citizens, I never assign citizens to burrows.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.