Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rivers in the fortress and how to make gardens?  (Read 5050 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Rivers in the fortress and how to make gardens?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 03:01:11 pm »

I have some old screenshots from my general district design, I 'll dig them up now.. I probably should have turned the sieges off, those tigermen don't leave me alone for a bit =( already lost 3 of my guys to them because let's just say I didn't build anything underground that isn't related to Dawn Raven, the Eternal City :P And well, I didn't have any weapons either hahaha. They shall be remembered and buried right under the government district.

So this is what we have so far, I don't mind the color mismatch as it makes things look more natural; to the east we have Government district with small dining rooms for the officials and some offices for the lower class clerks, downstairs from that there's the fortress guard barracks (and the housing for the soldiers ) and catacombs for the heroes. Also you can see the outline of the small fungus gardens walls, they're just there to funnel the water, will tear them down after I mud the floor.

North is crafting district, each circle is for another kind of job and the big one is for smithing and bar/block stockpiles. On the lower floor of that there's going to be just more stockpiles for various things.

In the middle we have our housing district, upstairs and downstairs from that we have rooms for various people, I don't plan to separate living areas for the lower class people as they will all get great living spaces anyways.

To the south there's the gardens district prototype so far, just to test how the water works and if I can get the gardens to grow surface trees and shrubs.. no luck so far. That area is going to be huge with continuous waterfalls and statue gardens and a zoo. When it's done I'm going to reroute the entrance to the city from there instead of the central staircase. Because I have huge plans for the surface as well, but those are easily implemented :P

To the west will be the palace for the real higher ups and people who made worthwhile artifacts and the war heroes. It is also going to be huge with barracks for 3 squads of soldiers and the best of everything for the highest class of people. I might even keep the bridge retracted to stop the elite from slumming.

I plan to have an arena around the gardens as well, since I embarked near a pair of dragons should they show up I'll need a place to build a temple for them as well. And their children.

Nice, the problem I encountered was space efficiency, how many dwarves can that design house?

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 03:08:34 pm »

I counted thirty six rooms in the central circle, so 36*3 levels should be enough for a 100 something strong fort, you will of course have a few 'family's bringing that number 'up' a little.
I voted for BANANA!

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 03:41:08 pm »

There are 52 rooms on the upper floor and and 50 on the lower floor, because there's no meeting hall in the middle and there's no paths on the sides for strolling!

The soldiers and the nobles have their own housing so I think I'll have 200 rooms to live in no problem. The central area is just for the.. peasants and craftsmen who aren't particularly important to the fort, rest of them will get special rooms! I have around 50 people living right now and most of those guys including the 10 miners will get to live in the palace district because of their efforts.

I've just lost 2 more people to a siege so I'm kind of sad right now but we'll just bury them in iron coffins.. funerals will have to wait for the construction to finish. What with the attacks getting more frequent I'll have to start up steel industry earlier than expected and start getting a few dudes in armor. It's good that I'm swimming in coal and iron and there's marble right above the caverns, I should know, I breached the first layer ( then walled it off ).

edit: In case I get more people than expected, I could probably make them priests and put them in the temple. Actually I like that idea a lot, I'll have to add rooms and a dining hall for the priesthood. And find a pious metalsmith to make god statues :P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:43:11 pm by caddybear »
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 04:08:30 pm »

Sounds really cool =)

There is allot more space there then I thought =)
I voted for BANANA!

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 04:41:12 am »

Alright palace is almost done, gotta test the personal waterfalls near the beds of the nobles and the throne room for the eventual arrival of the Queen :P
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 05:42:40 am »

I counted thirty six rooms in the central circle, so 36*3 levels should be enough for a 100 something strong fort, you will of course have a few 'family's bringing that number 'up' a little.

For me almost every 2nd (or more) person has a wife/husband.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.
Pages: 1 [2]