Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vote for Mounts!  (Read 5170 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Vote for Mounts!
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:12:06 am »

With the most recent overhaul of training animals, I think its a fine opportunity for both adventure & fortress mode lovers to vote for the animal mount suggestion in the eternal voting php script: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/eternal_voting.php.

Just do a ctrl+f for the word "mount" and you'll find it

Imagine having spear wielding dwarves riding rutherers to battle vs cave dragon riding whip boasting goblin hordes. Imagine assigning a dog as a mount for your children so you can more easily atomsmash them at the same time. Imagine cats riding dogs, dogs riding cats and mayhem.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Vote for Mounts!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:14:13 am »

Mounts would be pretty neat. I can only imagine a squad of marksdwarves blazing by on their war dogs, shooting every goblin they see.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:34:44 am »

Mounts would be pretty neat. I can only imagine a squad of marksdwarves blazing by on their war dogs, shooting every goblin they see.

dogs are too small to lift a dwarf, wouldn't it be more realistic if wardogs rode marksdwarves instead?

Sadly, proper implementation of mounts I believe is only going to be after general combat overhaul.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 11:11:13 am »

dogs are too small to lift a dwarf, wouldn't it be more realistic if wardogs rode marksdwarves instead?

Sadly, proper implementation of mounts I believe is only going to be after general combat overhaul.
Okay, fine, marksdwarves riding war tigers.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:22:53 am »

Okay, fine, marksdwarves riding war tigers.

pretty WoW elfy if yoiu ask me.  Although would be cool.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:23:16 am »

On the devpages, release 7:

Mounted combat rewrite and related changes

Toady is going to rewrite mounts to be more like "vehicles" with momentum and such, and he's putting off player mounts until then.  He has always fully intended for mounts to be part of play, however, and you can see it further down in the devpages, as well.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:09 am »

dogs are too small to lift a dwarf,
Almost all dogs in any of my fortresses have 'gigantic' or 'enormous' in their information even when I'm not breeding them for size, muscle and fat. They're either normal or huge and Dwarfs are small, so I'm sure SOME dogs could become large enough for riding. St. Bernards, Irish Wolfhounds, or Great Danes, that sort of size would be enough for Dwarfs. Mind you, rams and cattle and ponies'd be sweet as well. War Bull. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:49:23 am »

I want my dwarves to ride giant war eagles.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 12:07:16 pm »

And fall off because they were quite clumsy and dizzy due to sun. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 12:13:06 pm »

Almost all dogs in any of my fortresses have 'gigantic' or 'enormous' in their information even when I'm not breeding them for size, muscle and fat. They're either normal or huge and Dwarfs are small, so I'm sure SOME dogs could become large enough for riding. St. Bernards, Irish Wolfhounds, or Great Danes, that sort of size would be enough for Dwarfs. Mind you, rams and cattle and ponies'd be sweet as well. War Bull. :D

Those descriptors are entirely relative.

The difference between a "normal" and an "enormous" dog?  +10% body length.

Basically, it's the difference between a 60 lb dog and a 66 lb dog.  A scrawny dog is 54 lbs.

There is absolutely nothing in the vanilla game to account for different breeds of dog. 

The dogs in DF are roughly the size of a collie, so think "Lassie".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 12:19:13 pm »

I see carts at the top of the list, and its coming next. Let's vote up mounts! Have faith and ignore dissidents!

It's gone up like 200 spots just today!

Urist McBroker has canceled shoot with blowgun on his giant centipede: vomiting! Vote for mounts!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:21:10 pm by simonthedwarf »
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 12:31:52 pm »

Those descriptors are entirely relative.

The difference between a "normal" and an "enormous" dog?  +10% body length.

Basically, it's the difference between a 60 lb dog and a 66 lb dog.  A scrawny dog is 54 lbs.

There is absolutely nothing in the vanilla game to account for different breeds of dog. 

The dogs in DF are roughly the size of a collie, so think "Lassie".
Lassie seems big enough to carry a Dwarf to me. Maybe not a fat Dwarf or a well-armoured Dwarf, but still; it's not that much of a stretch.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 12:37:51 pm »

Lassie seems big enough to carry a Dwarf to me. Maybe not a fat Dwarf or a well-armoured Dwarf, but still; it's not that much of a stretch.

Dwarves are 6/7ths the size and mass of a human.  They basically weigh around 135-145 lbs.  Basically, think of a 15-year-old or the like as a dwarf.  Do you imagine a teenager would be capable of riding on that 60-70 lb dog? 

I would like to state for the record that a horse weighs 1100 lbs in this game for comparison.  A horse is over 7 times the size of a human that rides it.  The dog is half the size of the dwarf you propose would ride it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:52:16 pm »

i distinctly remember toady saying that he didn't want mounts in vanilla dwarf fortress. he doesn't like the idea of dwarves riding things.

invaders and adventurer mounts are planned

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 06:26:24 pm »

I more imagine Dwarves riding Bears, or giant badgers.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: [1] 2 3