Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Vote for Mounts!  (Read 5157 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Vote for Mounts!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 06:46:33 pm »

i like wargoats

also boars

NemoVonFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Can ya dig it?
    • View Profile
    • Wayfar 1444 Wiki
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 07:06:13 am »

i distinctly remember toady saying that he didn't want mounts in vanilla dwarf fortress. he doesn't like the idea of dwarves riding things.
I'd have to agree, something about mounts just seems undwarven. Considering mounts were mostly used to travel long distances, and the distinct lack of long distances underground, not to mention the cramped spaces, I don't see how learning to ride things would be a high dwarven priority.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 07:46:37 am »

Undwarven? I call the council of beards. How can it be undwarvenlike to force beasts into servitute transporting fat dwarves around for general amusement or combat?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 01:19:18 pm »

even armok himself is bound by the will of the great toad, the council of beards is helpless in this matter

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 09:48:18 am »

Lassie seems big enough to carry a Dwarf to me. Maybe not a fat Dwarf or a well-armoured Dwarf, but still; it's not that much of a stretch.

Dwarves are 6/7ths the size and mass of a human.  They basically weigh around 135-145 lbs.  Basically, think of a 15-year-old or the like as a dwarf.  Do you imagine a teenager would be capable of riding on that 60-70 lb dog? 

I would like to state for the record that a horse weighs 1100 lbs in this game for comparison.  A horse is over 7 times the size of a human that rides it.  The dog is half the size of the dwarf you propose would ride it.
My bad, I thought Dwarfs were smaller than 6/7th of a human. More like 3/7ths. :P

I'd have to agree, something about mounts just seems undwarven. Considering mounts were mostly used to travel long distances, and the distinct lack of long distances underground, not to mention the cramped spaces, I don't see how learning to ride things would be a high dwarven priority.
Lack of long distances? How about the ninety-odd levels of 'underground passage' in between my second and third cavern? :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 12:28:53 pm »

i distinctly remember toady saying that he didn't want mounts in vanilla dwarf fortress. he doesn't like the idea of dwarves riding things.

how about Urist.Mc.swordsdwarf having giant mole mount tunneling around caves and killing forgotten beasts.
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 01:00:21 pm »

Dwarves riding flying gryphons into battle is as dwarven as it gets! Especially if they're wielding magical hammers, but crossbows would suffice ^^

Gryphons would have to be added first as well ofc, but since they're partially in the raws I assume it's coming at some point.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 01:42:25 pm »

Pfft! Griffons?  That's just crazy talk.  Of course Gryphons are just the realm of talking fairy tales. 

They're as fantastical as a vegetarian vampire or teetotaling dwarf. 

We live in a realm of !!SCIENCE!! where everything is perfectly understandable and runs according to the immutable rules as set down by the clearly rational pantheon of arbitrary deities, especially the fish-headed ones.  The laws of science are as sure as a nethercap has infinite heat sinking capacity.

Bah, gryphons.  What silly talk.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 03:35:02 pm »

Pfft! Griffons?  That's just crazy talk.  Of course Gryphons are just the realm of talking fairy tales. 

They're as fantastical as a vegetarian vampire or teetotaling dwarf. 

We live in a realm of !!SCIENCE!! where everything is perfectly understandable and runs according to the immutable rules as set down by the clearly rational pantheon of arbitrary deities, especially the fish-headed ones.  The laws of science are as sure as a nethercap has infinite heat sinking capacity.

Bah, gryphons.  What silly talk.
I heard some Bloke talkin' 'bout some kin'a "Square Cube Law" or somesuch.
What a bunch a fooey! How elz we gon' get ar gian' cave spiders?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 04:18:42 pm »

I heard some Bloke talkin' 'bout some kin'a "Square Cube Law" or somesuch.
What a bunch a fooey! How elz we gon' get ar gian' cave spiders?

Yeah, everyone knows nothing needs internal structural support.  That's why we have soap bar mountain, the mountain that rests on a single support made of soap.

Besides, Giantism is a condition caused by perfectly ordinary Savagetron particle radiation.  In biomes of sufficiently saturated savagery fields, ordinary creatures quite naturally range in sizes from octuple to two million times their normal form, typically as a function of their non-giant size. 

These savagetron particles grant artificial rigidity to their forms through the so-called "cotton candy process" where nigh-weightless particles grant rigidity far in excess of what their ordinary materials would normally suggest in ways that are instantly lost if the creature ever dies and is butchered.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 05:14:04 pm »

I REALLY hope we still get riding options in fortress mode. I want my bear cavalry.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 10:39:00 am »

I REALLY hope we still get riding options in fortress mode. I want my bear cavalry.

A mount that uses its mouth to attack has special control problems due to the inability to use a bridle. Also, what do all modern common riding animals (Horse, camel, elephant have in common? They are tall and have long legs, elevating the rider and permitting a long, easy stride. I can't think of any carnivores that would fit this bill in the real world, although in DF we have giant cheetahs and various underground beasts that would fit the bill.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 01:20:44 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php#vote208

We are up at #68! Vote for Pedro - vote for mounts.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:57 pm »

yes mounts  :D I'd like to see an entire marksdwarf squad ride into battle atop WAR-elephants

but their are SO many good suggestions having only three votes makes me sad  :'(

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 11:56:05 pm »

Mounts? Dunno... dwarves are perma-drunk, so maybe riding is out of question for that race. But it would make sense for races who are known to bring mounts during sieges for adv mode. But then you'd face the problem of (fast)travel with a group where not every companion has a mount.
Pages: 1 [2] 3