Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How would DF work as a MMO?  (Read 9604 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Re: How would DF work as a MMO?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 01:36:00 pm »

Thats my reason behind the idea that you controll your fortress or probably you and some friends.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>In every mmo there will always be atleast one(or 95% of the population coughdarkfallcough) jackass who's sole intention is to ruin the fun for others.

Because DF is so vulnerable to such behaviour(world flooding) it would not make a good mmo.</STRONG>

Ahh, but then you forget the people who might actually want that fortress to succeed.
Execution pit for the win.

But really, the way I envision it, you bring a bunch of friends, people you know won't intentionally obliterate the fortress (or at least shouldn't :P), to make the fortress. It'd be smaller scale than current DF mode unless you somehow have like 170 friends.

Delton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 08:11:00 am »

I also think that minor would be quite popular, just for the naughty-fun of causing cave ins in someone else's hard-earned fortress. Not to mention purposefully throwing tantrums. :-D

I wouldn't mind playing a Hammerer though, and going around delivering justice to people doing that sort of thing.

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 09:30:00 am »

*Looks at his Miner's stats*
*Perfect Agility*
*Perfect Stamina*
*Perfect Strength + 10*
*Legendary Mining +5*
*iron pick*

You were saying something about Hammering?

I think people are forgetting that miners are the superdwarven gods of DF.

-Albert

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 09:16:00 pm »

I was thinking as an mmo more like the others, you run around bashing stuff and have the fort-building on the side, would still be fun to have hammering comps with other players, "you send other dwarf flying" "other dwarf sends you flying" etc lol
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 10:28:00 am »

What I'd really like to see, and that I think I wrote in my earlier thread (I can't believe anyone remembered that... I'm so happy... *sniff*) is not an MMO, but a networked version, for LAN parties. Kinda like the zany LAN parties you'd do with Hardwar. It'd be you and ten guys you know and who also love DF, and you'd have a laugh at looking at each other's mishaps and stuff.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 10:39:00 am »

I would honestly love to play an MMO that had graphics but depth of an ASCII game. I never got to playing Ultima Online (I avoid MMOs with ongoing fees), but if Ultima 8 was anything to go by then the graphics would have interfered with the interface more often than not. At least with the simplest of graphics we'd expect (hopefully) the least crashes and problems with crawling up onto the walls at the edge of the area and running around beyond the game boundaries.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »

I'd play MMORPGs if they were more like 1990's era Ultima Online except with ten times more random slaughter, banditry, looting, miner killing, corpse desecration and general chaos.

A Dwarf Fortress MMORPG MIGHT have the potential to be that game.

Kagira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

Yeah, but the only problem with those was it was impossible for new players to get into the game unless they knew people already in it and had a big stash of spare armor and weaponry, seeing as how the second you step out of town all the fully equipped people are gonna loot your new player stuff just so you gotta start over   :(

But I don't think that'd be a problem with a DF MMO, since a lucky hit from anyone could kill someone and most people wouldn't survive long enough to become super powerful really.

I think, though, instead of adventure mode, everyone runs their own fortress. You can trade with other forts, send invasion parties, spies, kidnap nobles, send assasins to kill certain dwarves, steal their supplies, etc... the world would be randomly generated every server reset, and a persistant world that keeps track of razed cities, whos allies with who, who did what, heroes from various forts and legendary artifact items. Of course, for that last one strange moods should be more rare.

obles make fine firewood.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 04:10:00 am »

The "freedom" (read: freedom to get spawncamped from the first minute untill you quit) that uo gave is why it has 100k subscribtion and wow has 9 million.

Making the df mmo anything like the first will just result in attracting the same assholes that made uo unplayable.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 04:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>The "freedom" (read: freedom to get spawncamped from the first minute untill you quit) that uo gave is why it has 100k subscribtion and wow has 9 million.

Making the df mmo anything like the first will just result in attracting the same assholes that made uo unplayable.</STRONG>

Hahaha I played UO for years and the only reason you hated it is because you clearly seem to prefer being the victim rather than the victor.

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 07:23:00 am »

Woops, I thought you quoted someone else.
Ignore this.

[ October 15, 2007: Message edited by: Necro ]

Kagira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 09:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>

Hahaha I played UO for years and the only reason you hated it is because you clearly seem to prefer being the victim rather than the victor.</STRONG>

Uh huh, like people who just started playing can just magically get high level armor and weapons, plus tons of new skills so they can fight back...

obles make fine firewood.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 09:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>Hahaha I played UO for years and the only reason you hated it is because you clearly seem to prefer being the victim rather than the victor.</STRONG>

Now where the hell did i said i like being spawncamped? You are the type of idiot that wastes other people subscribtion money just to be able to be an asshole without reprecussions so shut up.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 09:45:00 am »

Just think - 'you guys go over and haul off all the junk from that goblin siege.  The rest of you go finish hauling all that stone out of the main hall.  Except you. You can go build 500 bins to hold all that goblin junk...'

On the other hand, typical online lack of communication could produce some quite interesting classical dwarf moments... 'Pull the lever now!'  'No wait!  The door's still op-!'

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4