Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: X3: Terran Conflict: Anyone know of mods to fix these problems?  (Read 5829 times)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

So I recently got X3: Terran Conflict on the Steam midweek sale.  I'd heard it was a bit like a single player EVE Online, which seems accurate so far.  I really like the concept, and have mostly enjoyed it so far, but have run into a number of issues:

1) Saves only occur at bases.
2) Auto pilot is terrible, and has a tendency to powderize you against random structures.  Especially irritating when combined with 1).
3) Game suspends when alt-tabbed, or when not the window of focus.

Considering the game is largely telling your ships to fly around, then twiddling your thumbs while they fly, 3) is a nigh unforgivable sin.  I don't think EVE would have anywhere near its current fan base if you couldn't do other things while your ships were busy.

I've heard X3 is heavily moddable.  Does anyone know of any mods or fan patches that fix any of the above issues?  I haven't had much luck searching.

KG

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: X3: Terran Conflict: Anyone know of mods to fix these problems?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 12:56:30 am »

1) You can buy salvage insurance to save anywhere. Of course, they're quite expensive if you're just starting up, but once you've got a steady supply of cash flowing, you can buy a hundred of them and just keep buying more if you're running out.

If you're not against using cheats, Cycrow's cheat package, a mod, has a bunch of features, including infinite salvage insurance. He also has a less cheaty version, where you automatically top up salvage insurance, paying for it with your cash, if you have some.

2) There are a bunch of piloting mods, although I haven't used any of them. Tips for default autopilot: When you're approaching a jumpgate or an asteroid field, release autopilot and fly it manually.

3) No comment, I didn't search for a way to keep the game running alt-tabbed.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 12:57:24 am »

IIRC for 3) there's an option in the game settings that's off by default

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:40:14 pm »

Aye, for #3 there's an option in the game settings for it, you just have to look. "Run game in background" I think it is. As for the first 2, Cycrow's cheat package is what you want, just resist the urge to use it's other functions. There are a few options that make it less likely for you to blow up when hitting a station, but I'm about to head out and can't dig them up for you right now.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:46:32 pm »

I've heard X3 is heavily moddable.  Does anyone know of any mods or fan patches that fix any of the above issues?  I haven't had much luck searching.

Ask at the Egosoft forum. It's the best place for info.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:06:03 pm »

OK, I'll dig around for that "Run game in background" option; I was looking for something along the lines of "fullscreen windowed".

And Cycrow's sounds like it will fit the bill.   Thanks all for the tips!

KG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:34:31 pm »

Always check the options first in a game. Defaults usually aren't always the best way to do things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:31 pm »

Wow, that was buried.  For future readers' reference, "run game in background" is not in the the prelaunch graphics options, the main menu video options, or the in-game video options.  It's at the very end of the in-game "gameplay" options.

Which brings me to a new problem...I just switched to windowed mode, and was going to put X3 on my other monitor, and realized I can't move the window.

Apparently this is a known problem, and people have resorted to writing their own programs to deal with X3TC's window?  What the hell, EgoSoft? 

KG

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 08:24:33 pm »

They're still using the engine they made for the first one, back in 1999. That, I believe, is why the windows don't play well with others, the autopilot's still bloody stupid and it's not multi-threaded.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator