Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [Giveaway] 10 Winners, Ends Friday  (Read 5147 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Giveaway] 10 Winners, Ends Friday
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 02:27:58 pm »

This is all really great and valid opinion guys, keep it coming! I will compile everything for the team when we are done.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 04:03:46 pm »

(Legend of Grimrock)

First,

Initial thoughts. I dig it.

Although I clicked on downhome, expected some southern rock, and got Blake Shelton instead. I immediately left. Country is not my thing. And then went to Indigo. I'm listening now. I'm liking it.

Things I liked. It loads quickly. Seems slick. I will definitely be using this. I am sick of hearing the same old junk that I like on Pandora.
 And I will probably share it with my friends on Facebook after I am comfortable enough saying that I like it.

Thing I didn't like. When I initially clicked, I got an ad and had to wait through it. Wanted music right away. I don't know if there is anything to do with that. Just saying that it was a little frustrating. Don't mind the ads, just wanted music right away.

I would suggest that the descriptions would work a little better at being straightforward rather than trying to be overly hip.

#ALLIn's description seems like rave music, so I didn't click on it.

Meta is foreign music, or at least I would assume.

Downhome wasn't the southern rock I expected it to be.

Indigo was what I assumed from the description, so that is good.

Thanks for sharing. And thanks for always doing these giveaways.

If I win, I would appreciate Legend of Grimrock.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:06:54 am by pilgrimboy »
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »

One other quick note. I would love a desktop player so that I don't have to keep my browser open.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 04:09:13 pm »

Another thought. I would like to at least be able to tell the station when I really love or hate a song. Pandora-like. However, I understand that it wouldn't skip the song, but it would give GoRadio some feedback.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 04:36:54 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!

BTW, if you had waited for a second song or two on Downhome you would have probably encountered a southern rock song, they never group more than 1 country song together and the really country stuff they play is classics like Johnny Cash etc. or some of the crossover stuff that gets play on other genres. I hate country, but found that I rarely mind the occasional song.

Meta is foreign if you are not from the states. It is an unusual format since it's getting hard to find rock music in the states on radio and they also play a lot of music that traditional radio doesn't since they serve the charts and not the listeners. It's very much an experiment.

All of your comments are helpful! It seems that some people are uncomfortable with the sex tips/dating advice stuff. Is there too much focus on that in everyone's opinion?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 05:04:43 pm »

(Legend of Grimrock)

I spend a few hours listening to all the 'worlds'. I find that the music grouping is done rather well. So, I ended up listening a lot to Meta and listening with certain ... revulsion to #Allin. I can't deal with Lady Gaga or those "I'm so cool with ma rappin'" dudes like Kanye West. But that's not the critique you are looking for. ;)

What is the purpose behind the channels? Are they just going to air music, with some commercials sprinkled between the songs? Or are their plans to give something more, like news, small documentaries, stuff akin to it? Indigo had a small blurb about the web designer for instance. Does this mean Indigo is the "art" and "something different channel"?

Something that all channels miss, is one distinct "tune". Downhome has several for instance, but nothing that a listener will instantly recognise. I've worked for the largest radio station in my country and that one short tune (a few seconds at most and just a sung version of the station's name) is something that defined it. If you are switching your channel and hear that tune, you know you found the right one. So, in my mind, each channel would benefit from one catchy tune. Having several or none gives me the feeling that something is missing.

Meta:

*Very very nice selection of music. Good mix of the old, the new and the obscure. Really enjoyed listening to it.
*Could use one tune instead of different variations (like Adama praising Meta or the weird "is it meta? It is definitely meta. Yeah. It's meta")
*Adama 'praising' Meta is a nice touch by the way, but I didn't know what the purpose of that little blurb was. It does not promote BSG (so not a commercial) but to a non-BSG fan, it will sound like an old man praising meta. No need for that, let the listeners praise the station to their friends and acquaintances.
*The sex commercial isn't too bad. But then again, I don't mind sex. ;) Just make sure that the sex-theme doesn't dominate. When you first load the page, there is already a 'brotility' commercial. Don't want to give people bad first impressions. But I'm sure that most people who listen to Meta would be cool with those things. Once again, in moderation.

Downhome:

*Once again, a varied selection of songs.
*The channel does ooze a "hillbilly"-vibe, something is a bit at odds with the song selection. Sure, it might be more country, but the demography of the listeners is a lot more diverse.
*After a while, it started to annoy me when I was hearing a beer reference or the tune "Downhome, y'all".
*Why are there comedian-parts? They just start off after a song. Funny, yes. Amusing, yes. But to my ears, it felt way too jarring. I don't know those comedians and since no info is given beyond a joke, I can not look up more information afterwards. So, it leaves me a bit frustrated and detracts a bit from listening to the music.

Indigo:

*Portrays the "art" vibe. Not too shabby, not too great music taste. It's not really my genre, so I can't comment on that aspect. :)
*Could benefit from one distinctive tune.

#ALLIN

*Don't like the music, so can't comment on the selection. I just can't stand rap.

Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 05:05:27 pm »

Dang it I don't even have oppinion on music...

Ohh well next time maybe.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:01 pm »

Not a lot of people who can stand contry here, which is a bit of sad for me, but not really anything more than that. This is for helping hemmingjay with something.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 05:38:29 pm »

(Legend of Grimrock)

Well, iv heard quite a lot of Meta and Indigo, AllIn its just not my type and being a foreinger DownHome doesnt feel like home to me.
If the target of the radios was people listening to them while using the computer, id say Indigo its in the right direction, while i like the music in Meta more i think its a little too "complex" or "loud" (not the right words, some times i suck at translating) for background music.  Also i think indigo has a better defined sound, as in you are less likely to stumble upon something that you just dont like, Meta has some awsome songs but also some that quite dont fit in my opinion.
Ill keep listening and edit with new opinions, htg now.

BTW; You have so much projects arround you hemmingjay that you make me jealous, congrats!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:40:01 pm by ukulele »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 05:59:40 pm »

(Xenonauts)

I'm fine with Meta or Indigo, and might use one while drawing, but I wouldn't normally choose to play either of them while gaming. I would be tempted to use a channel that focuses on songs that don't focus on discernible lyrics while playing a game who's soundtrack I don't care for.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 06:00:47 pm »

(Scary Girl)

First off, the website design is pretty slick and navigable, I like it. I haven't listened long enough to encounter the sex tips, I guess, but it sounds like they wouldn't bother me? Although in general the DJs are kind of annoying and vapid sounding.

I would suggest that the descriptions would work a little better at being straightforward rather than trying to be overly hip.

THIS. "Where Gandhi drives a DeLorean" or "Bongs and Songs" apparently means alt rock and grunge? That could have been a little more clear. Indigo calls itself artsy but it's just upbeat indie rock, as far as I can tell. I was expecting you know...experimental music? I was expecting electronica for #Allin, but it seems to be a lot of pop/rap music. I guess Downhome is pretty clear though.

Meta is foreign if you are not from the states. It is an unusual format since it's getting hard to find rock music in the states on radio and they also play a lot of music that traditional radio doesn't since they serve the charts and not the listeners. It's very much an experiment.

Not literally foreign, though. Soundgarden and the Silversun Pickups are pretty darn American. Meta is actually the most similar to the radio station I listen to. Which is a Seattle Alt Rock station, so I guess that explains it... Meta's probably the station I'm most likely to listen to, mostly on the basis of it being so similar to the station I already listen to. Actually, going through the last couple of pages of recently played songs on Meta there are only one or two bands that I haven't heard on the radio.

Indigo seems listenable for some jangly rock, but like I said is severely misrepresented by advertising itself as artsy. Unless, I guess, the target audience is people who think they're artsy but really aren't, in which case maybe they nailed it.

Quite honestly I haven't been able to get through a single track on the other two stations, not because I have a problem with the genres themselves but because of the song selection. I guess that's a matter of taste though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 07:26:11 pm »

Perhaps someone could put up the website for each of the games to entice people to enter.

A lot of the games have TERRIBLE TERRIBLE names that the creators should feel ashamed for.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 08:12:48 pm »

(Xenonauts)
I listened to Downhome and Meta for a while. I like the choice of songs in both, seems like no buffering time which is great, but the ads are annoying(not a lot you can do about that I guess).
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:27 pm »

Cringed at the various stereotypes, reluctantly went to Indigo.  (Did you really use 'Whilst' in the description?  Seriously?)  I can appreciate Weezer though, and there was a story on the page about a cupcake ATM.  >_>;  Yum.  In general though, the writing for this station seems really stilted.  Hard to put a finger on it.

After the first song, it was about half a minute of someone talking over "Somebody That I Used To Know" about how there's a neat remix on the site.  Slightly annoyed by the talking, but pleased by the song...which I couldn't find on the site.

Then it was a song I wasn't impressed by, a short ad? for something I couldn't even make sense of?, then another song I didn't like.  I guess it's not a good station for me...which is a shame.  I think that one end of this station's spectrum is right on the other end of my spectrum, but the rest of it isn't.

I was about to say I liked how songs faded between each other, but then the current song faded out to nothing, then it snapped into a top-volume snippet of dialogue: "I'd like to interview someone from your band" "Oh, a rock writer" - and then another song.  Uh, what?  Is that a...what?  A reference to something?  Did something get cut off?  I don't get it.  It never goes from one song straight to another song and I don't like that.  I'm trying to listen while doing stuff at work, and the interstitials are very disruptive, both because the volume is wonky and because of the "wtf was that" factor.  The interstitials all seem REALLY LOUD.

...Oh, I just got two songs in a row with no interstitial...
...followed by another interstitial that opens with an unnecessarily loud sound effect, and then a Geico commercial.  I'm done here.  My advice: Don't try to lure people into looking at the radio page with your interstitials.  Some people will look at the page anyway (and are probably reading the page at the time!), so they don't need to hear it.  Some people don't want to look at the page, so stop bothering them.  Everyone probably knows what they are listening to, and you don't need to keep saying "Listen to Indigo! :3".

The Indigo page is hard to navigate, and when I scroll down just a little near the top (one mousewheel click on IE9), the page title and the radio tool go all wonky and draw over each other in a weird way (like, I get 1.5 copies of the page title, and the radio tool is hidden) until I scroll further down.  Also I do wish it showed 'previous song' more prominently.

After hearing more about Meta, I might have liked it more than Indigo...but uh, you wanted people to listen to a station at work, so you made it NSFW.  Great job there.  :V

I don't think I'm a good audience for this site, cupcakes notwithstanding.

...a joke about two guys calling each other queer and then getting into a shirtless fight.  kay then.  turning off the radio now.

EDIT:  No games for me, I have enough games I don't play as it is <3
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:02:54 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 10:34:30 pm »

(Legends of Grimrock)

I liked the website. It's simple and easy to navigate, I like the black and white theme.
I think the worlds' descriptions should be more descriptive, they don't say that much as they are now imo.
I listened to Meta and Indigo (listening to Indigo now). The stream worked really well, sounds good with no pauses and the player itself is simple and straight to the point.
The songs in Meta I heard weren't exactly my kind of music but of course that just an opinion, I'm liking Indingo better right now. The ads are a little distracting but that's probably to be expected.
I probably won't be using the service again but that's because I don't listen to music all the time, I just do it when I want to listen to some specific album. But if I was into radios I'd probably listen to more Indigo!

And finally, thank you hemmingjay!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4