Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [Giveaway] 10 Winners, Ends Friday  (Read 5141 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Giveaway] 10 Winners, Ends Friday
« on: April 11, 2012, 09:18:52 am »

Winners please email or PM me with your email address and game preference. I will try to get all prizes out within the next 12 hours. Thanks for the help with this pet project!

WINNERS:
Jerick
Xeron
pilgrimboy
Dohon
kinseti
Nirur Torir
Nistenf
BuriBuriZaemon
Thendash
Scelly9

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 Winners get to choose from 10 different indie games: Legends of Grimrock, Xenonauts, Shoot Many Robots, Hack Slash Loot, Will Fight for Food, Deadly 30, All Zombies Must Die, Many Worlds Theory, Wizorb, or Scary Girl. ADDED the option to choose one of the 185 products(under $20) from this Amazon sale http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1000789381_pglink_1?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000789381&plpage=1

Why I am doing this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rules:
1) Go to http://www.goradio.com/ and check out the 4 worlds/stations there.
2) Pick at least one and click on the play button. Please listen for at least 2 songs, ideally leave it on while playing a game or doing some work.
3) Let me know what you like or don't like

Bonus: No need to do the following but I would consider it a personal favor. Send others to GoRadio.com   Click LIKE or follow on Twitter(you know you have fake profiles for things like this). Bookmark it and come back often.

HONOR SYSTEM: I'm not going to do a linktracker or anything like that, as I think it's a bit sleazy. I will just trust what you tell me. Anyone who says they did 1&2 and lists what game they want will be entered to win.
Winners will be announced at 7PM(EST) on Friday.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:51:16 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Giveaway] 10 Winners, Ends Friday
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:48:25 am »

Don't actually enter me to win because I have those games anyway :)
But I'll try to provide some feed back.

First impressions:
Could do with better descriptions the style the stations will play. The current ones are vague and similar.
Also it took a short while for the channel to start, long enough that I wondered if something was broken and was playing with the volume controls and considering refreshing the page. I'm using Linux (Ubuntu 64bit) and Firefox though so the issue could just be poor flash support my end.
Site seems easy to use and navigate though so thats a plus over a lot of the radio sites I've seen.

What is 'new type' about it?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:01:20 am »

Shades,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes the player itself is terribly optimised and they are in the process of building a better one. The descriptions are a bit vague at the moment somewhat intentionally as the stations don't play a specific genre(new descriptions are in the works I am told). This also addresses your last question too "What is 'new type' about it. Traditional radio, especially streaming radio plays a specific genre of music assuming that you are a statistic that listens to just one type. GoRadio hired some of the most talented programmers in the industry to create a "world" instead of a station. The idea is that you want a variety of different music that doesn't stray too far from your comfort zone, but you still want to discover new music. They also write a lot of stories that try to fit the lifestyle of the listeners. For instance, I listen mostly to Meta, which plays a lot of rock and alternative/indie music too, but it all has one thing in common: it's programmed for someone like me who is intelligent and tech savvy. Believe it or not, but there is a lot of psychology, market study and art that goes into deciding what songs go where. Regular radio plays what music companies tell them to. Internet radio usually streams normal radio or just pushes random songs.

These guys are actually handcrafting the sound and stories to fit real people. It's not perfect yet, so I need your feedback to send to them.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:09:56 am »

That is pretty much the reason I like the last-fm app for spotify, gives me a good variety of stuff I might like.
Although it's far from perfect.

However with spotify+last-fm it's personalised for me (or those I follow) I assume with this worlds concept there will be more of a crowd sourcing aspect to getting the variety working nicely.

Edit: Must admit I might not be the best target audience as when I listen to music, generally while working, I have the site minimised on a different workspace which means I miss all the slickness they've put into the site itself and the various trends and list they have there.

Also adverts are annoying while working (less so when I'm not focused as the break in concentration isn't as bad), but I guess they have to make money to run this thing somehow :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:17:24 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:25:54 am »

(Xenonauts)
Weird.
I say to my self I'll give this a shot, plug out my headphones from my MP3 player only to find it playing the exact same song I was listening to.
It seems decent and a well polished site with a nice selection of music and is a service I'll probably continue to use.
For feedback on something like this, well I'm not the most knowledgeable about music or similar services but I'm enjoying the selection.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:24:13 pm by Jerick »

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:45:12 am »

Hmm.
Not my kind of music but I'll try listening to it.

Plus points for the app. No meddling with windows media player or something like it.
Just hit play and it goes.

Wish there was a j-pop or anime/game song station :P

Meh. I'll listen to it while programming my next big thing. Maybe it'll grow on me.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:53:54 am »

Liking it a lot.

I'd second the idea for a j-pop or just a non-english station.

Another idea to consider would be a timer showing how long this song goes on for.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:02:21 am »

Yeah. Country and rap aren't my thing. Meta is bearable though :P

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:11 am »

I picked two worlds. Meta & Downhome.
(I'm here also for Legends of Grimrock btw).
So, first off, I'm Italian, but i'm still hearing it fine. (no weird ports to unlock or anything) using Opera and everything went fine, the Opera browser didn't even detect the radio as a popup. Of which i'm surprised.
Though one thing would be to point out that Meta world shouldn't be suitable for minors age <13. Condoms' publicity and game babes, while perfectly fine, should still be considered rated T. The genre was clear after a while: rock of old and games of old. Coupled with *brotips* and the like. Nice but, as stated before, requiring at least a warning for minors.
(or it's me who got the short end of the stick, though i suppose the feel of Meta is about that. seeing how the newsletter was about *sex tips* and so on.)

Downhome's feel was the interesting one. I understood it was about guitars' and west, albeit seeing the Oregon trail game, I thought it should have been seen over to Metahead. you should clearly *differentiate* the worlds, so as to not have, later on, the problem of "We've got this cool track, but it could fit perfectly here, here and here".
I second the need for a timer for songs, with maybe a visible tracklist of "the next song is going to be" directly seen on the player and *not* as a click menu.
(which, btw, shows the past songs, but at least knowing one or two songs yet to come too wouldn't be bad)

Hope I was of help. And I'd second a non-english station.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 11:13:08 am »

I'm well stocked for games, someone else can have 'em.

Didn't have a problem with the player; I'm on a low-end DSL line (using Firefox) and the stream seems stable and of pretty good fidelity. I don't usually follow random links, but digging through all the random stuff on Meta is interesting, and the music does feel "coherent" to me. I'll try some of the other... ah channels, I guess? a bit later on and report back.

Minor feature request: the ability to click track title and pull up other songs by the same artist/list of their albums/that type of thing. Also, perhaps direct links to iTunes or Amazon, somewhere to buy what you're listening to. Unobtrusive, of course.

Ah, fake-edit, a display showing the next song would be pretty nice too.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:09 am »

Tried to listen to the various worlds while doing art stuff. It didn't work out. I think I'm in the same realm as Empty, the music offered just isn't my type. I can't really say what genre I prefer, because I don't really know, but I find that I tend to like listening to game music and movie soundtracks more than anything.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:11 am »

I adore Meta.I enjoy old rock and games so it fits me like a glove.As some said the player would need some improvement but otherwise its fine.Indigo wasn't so much my taste but it was alright.
The site looks really neat and easy and quick to use.Descriptions could use a replacement yeah but otherwise its all good.
By the way i am here for Xenonauts
Meta got me in mood for some combat RP

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:36 am »

(Here for Xenonauts)

I'd support the anime/game/foreign station idea as well (perhaps add Folk Metal to that?).
Listened to Downhome (in Firefox 4), and while I'd still prefer last.fm for country, its not a bad selection.  Good enough to listen to, but if i was paying attention to the site and not other stuff it wouldn't be my first choice of net radio. Quite nice for a beta radio though, it works well enough and didn't sound terrible.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 12:59:59 pm »

Listened to them all briefly but mainly to Down Home:

Not bad, the music is pretty good and while it could use some improvement the songs to commercial ratios aren't too bad. I'll echo others in that the description of the stations could use some work, they are flashy and stylish descriptions and give an emotional picture but don't do much to really describe what you will be hearing.  Its not that big of a deal now but as the station count grows having a clear, objective description will become ever more important. 

The website itself seems set up well and isn't too distracting and operated well and the music comes through clear. 

Big takeaways would be more stations, clearer station descriptions, and if I had to add one more thing perhaps a more detailed description of what song you are hearing or even better an option to 'like' it (or something similar) so you can check out the details later on if you are interested in more work from the artist(s).

For games I'd really, really prefer Xenonauts, failing that Grimrock or Many Worlds Theory, but free is free right so if I win at all I'll be pleased

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:02:52 pm by Mickey Blue »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 01:46:52 pm »

(Xenonauts)

Been listening to Meta for...*checks time* a while. Not bad really. Havent had any chopping(which happens with other internet radios sometimes). The music aint bad.

The condom thing is really off-putting though. Overall all the station themes see to be..how to put it...stereotypical. Like I dont mean the stations themselves, but the stations opinions of the listeners. DownHome has beer and pigs, giving it a really strong "hillbilly" vibe, Meta has the beforementioned condoms and you seem to get sex tips if you sign up to have stuff sent to your E-mail. Indigo and #AllInn are better on that front.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4