Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor vs Mobility  (Read 3092 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Armor vs Mobility
« on: April 11, 2012, 07:52:31 am »

In some threads you will occasionally read people talking about armor weight, while it's known that crutch-walking (initially) and heavy equipment will weigh a dwarf down, does it actually have any effect on actual combat?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: Armor vs Mobility
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:54:21 am »

They won't  attack as much as they would unarmored since their speed is lower due too their burden of *steel armor* and <{Platinum Warhammer}>
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:56:09 am »

They will also have more trouble chasing down fleeing enemies or enemies that are chasing other units.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:01:15 am »

of course, they won't be slowed down if you train them to legendary armor user via danger rooms or intense 1v1 sparring.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:20:02 am »

also less ability to dodge it often seems
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:24:51 am »

also less ability to dodge it often seems

One thing I've noticed, is if i put up a legendary dwarf (who consequently has a very high base speed attribute) against a large number of goblin archers, he won't really have to block or dodge much at all.  Even though he's getting shot from multiple angles at close range, combat logs mostly just show arrows missing, even if he's beating an unconscious target and not moving.  I suspect this is due to having very high base speed when compared to the skill levels of the attackers, resulting in an initial check for the bolt arriving on target failing, negating the need for the dwarf to take any action to block or dodge or do a weapon deflect.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:27:38 am »

I'd go with armor over mobility anytime. For practical as well as moral reasons:

Practical reason: Speed can be an effective deterrent to enemy weapons, but armour is. If you fail to dodge just once (or rather, your axelord) they have an arrow in their eye and are toast. If they are armoured and have a shield? Not so much.

Moral reason:

You're a dwarf for Armok's sake! Not a kobold and certainly not an elf!
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:03 am »

Practical reason: Speed can be an effective deterrent to enemy weapons, but armour is. If you fail to dodge just once (or rather, your axelord) they have an arrow in their eye and are toast. If they are armoured and have a shield? Not so much.

A shield can save you from a arrows.  A metal arrow that clears all the other rolls and strikes the dwarf will not be deflected by armor.  The armor may provide some protection, but is unlikely to prevent serious injury.
Thoughts on water

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:03:45 am »

I'd go with armor over mobility anytime.

Not to mention with high armour user skill, your Dwarves become drunken samurai un-encumbered by several layers of metal equipment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:09:09 am »

Each level of "armor user" skill reduces the effective weight of armor.  That is, at skill 0, it gets full weight.  At Legendary 15, the dwarf moves as fast as if they were naked.

Or maybe it's Legendary 15+5 that it renders then naked-speed.

Legendary Streaker.