Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Never Ending Quest!  (Read 1059 times)

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Never Ending Quest!
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:10:45 am »

I will generate a world that has a volcano with a sedimentary layer? Why? Cause I gotta thats why! Its not even about the steel anymore. I feel now the game is mocking me and my (feeble) attempts to use the advance world generator. I'm a renegade dwarf living on the edge with nothing left to lose...and this time its personal.

So any of you out there have any success generating a world with a volcano in sediment? If so what parameters did you use?

"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: My Never Ending Quest!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:23:45 am »

I think I once generated a world with above the maximum minimum volcano number, which, I'll admit, I can't remember off the top of my head how many that was - either 100 or 250.

What you do is  adjust the weighted range so that more areas with higher volcanism will form.

This would look something like:
Volcanism frequency: 2 x 2
0 - 20: 1
20 - 40: 2
40 - 60: 4
60 - 80: 9
80 - 100: 16

Granted, it's been a while since I messed with the generator much, but I don't think it changed too much since 31.25, so it should still work.

The reason it works is because volcanoes can only form in areas with exactly 100 volcanism. Setting the weight ranges to lean towards the upper end of the spectrum allows more areas with 100 to form, thus allowing more volcanoes.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how to help with the sediment issue... More rivers, perhaps? I really don't know - I never messed with that. But this, at least, should help you with finding good quantities of volcanoes to test. And I wish you the best on your quest. :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:33:29 am »

Well see I try setting the generator to make as many volcanos as I can. The problem I keep getting is worlds being regected seemingly cause there are not enough mountains and suitable terrain features to put volcanos in (I may be wrong I am not the best at using the feature.) So I'm trying to see if there are things I can do to offset that.

Apparently sedimentary layers just form. If you make enough volcanos you will eventually have one that happens to include a sedimentary biome within reasonable distance to it.

"Eh, whatever"

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 01:47:36 am »

i got a flat volcano with conglomerate with all the necessities for steel and obsidian making with bronze gold and silver
has aquifers right side of the map
now let me upload it...

alright, here it is http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6151
added a world_gen file if you wanted to use your own mods and could generate your own

~stumbled upon this as i wanted a site for a hermit
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 01:58:42 am »

I appreciate that you said it's not about the steel any more, but you don't even need a sedimentary layer for that. Hematite and marble works just fine.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:19:24 am »

Set every minimum number of squares to zero or a very low number. Trust me.

It's hard to do weird things to worldgen without also disabling every single check for normalcy. Letting worldgen run with no brakes produces surprisingly normal, habitable results most of the time.

A volcano directly on a sedimentary layer is impossible because volcanoes like high volcanism and sedimentary zones have low volcanism. What you want is a volcano with a sedimentary biome right next door. Set the volcanism range to 1 0 0 0 1 instead of 1 2 4 9 16. I normally do this anyway because metamorphic regions are boring, although I have yet to see sedimentary and igneous extrusive right next to eachother.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 02:39:02 am »

Set every minimum number of squares to zero or a very low number. Trust me.

It's hard to do weird things to worldgen without also disabling every single check for normalcy. Letting worldgen run with no brakes produces surprisingly normal, habitable results most of the time.

A volcano directly on a sedimentary layer is impossible because volcanoes like high volcanism and sedimentary zones have low volcanism. What you want is a volcano with a sedimentary biome right next door. Set the volcanism range to 1 0 0 0 1 instead of 1 2 4 9 16. I normally do this anyway because metamorphic regions are boring, although I have yet to see sedimentary and igneous extrusive right next to eachother.
That is very helpful, thank you very much.

I have seen sedimentary and igneous extrusive together. I've seen sedimentary and igneous with a metamophic (so much hematite and magnatite) but both cases lacked a certain volcanic element.

The idea is that if you get enough volcanos then your odds of getting one next to a sedimentary layer go up. Supposedly.

"Eh, whatever"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 03:08:06 am »

I have had sedimentary volcanoes with a river. Evil biome, too. Just once.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:24:31 am »

I usually up my volcano number to double standard, but weigh my volcanism to low volcanism (4,3,3,2,1). It generates about 25 failures and then gives me a decent chance to have a volcano right in the center of a sedimentary area. They are fairly boring volcanos, mostly just going straight up.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 03:59:59 am »

Use perfectworlddf.

DONE!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.