Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No such thing as butchering in a Zombie Biome?  (Read 3744 times)

Haigen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No such thing as butchering in a Zombie Biome?
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:46:30 pm »

So I embarked on a zombie-terrifying biome. All well and good. Was able to get everything underground just in time before a few husks arrived whew.

So maybe Im the biggest lol-able noob in the world but I go to butcher one of my animals I had brought inside and it comes back to life along with a lot of hair and appendages which then continues to wreck the rest of my fort.

Am I wrong or ignorant in thinking that things butchered (using the butchers workshop) by me would remain dead but things killed by zombies would turn undead?

idk seemed logical but if dems the rules then dems the rules. Or a bug?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No such thing as butchering in a Zombie Biome?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:48:38 pm »

Bug, but its a good one. Makes it hard.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:49:20 pm »

No. Evil places reanimate everything, regardless of its source. It's a strong suggestion that you have your dwarves be vegetarians in evil biomes, and if not have soldiers nearby because things in barrels don't reanimate so you just need to cover your dwarves while they haul stuff.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:34 pm »

Zombies don't spread the curse.  It's the ground itself that's tainted.  The zombies are a byproduct from the overwhelming evil.  This isn't a zombie outbreak in an area.  It's an area so vile to nature that it generates zombies.

Cause and effect.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:24:39 pm »

So I embarked on a zombie-terrifying biome. All well and good. Was able to get everything underground just in time before a few husks arrived whew.

So maybe Im the biggest lol-able noob in the world but I go to butcher one of my animals I had brought inside and it comes back to life along with a lot of hair and appendages which then continues to wreck the rest of my fort.

Feature.

Get military and garbage disposal going.
Or if it's early, build Yak Containment Rooms (see 4th/5th pictures)

Technically Toady wants to change it to a counter for raises.
But I'm fine just the way it is.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:06 pm »

Zombie logic fails in DF. No headshots when there's no head to stab.

Baselope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:55:30 pm »

I missed that Toady was adding a counter.  I like.  It seems silly that zombie splatter chunks from kililng it the 250th time can still roll around after me effectively.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:59:16 pm »

Is it silly when the broken remains of the undead refuse to stay dead? There are supernatural forces at work in the universe of forever, and they aren't benign.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 10:11:42 pm »

Build a pit with a lever activated hatch (lever should be somewhere without out of the line of sight to the pit) right by the butcher shop and station your military on standby, as soon as the butchery is complete have the skin and hair dumped onto the hatch and have the lever pulled, if you're quick enough it should go cleanly. If you aren't your military should kill the skin and hair which you can then try to dump again.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:12:33 pm »

If you do raise animals for meat in an undead biome, you should have your butcher's workshops isolated, with weapon traps carpeting the path out of that area and preferably the 16 tiles directly around a butcher's shop, with a way of rapidly destroying items (like a chute to magma-covered semi-molten rock or a repeater-linked atom smasher) close at hand, and at least 2 dwarves assigned to do nothing but haul refuse (ideally assigned to a burrow so they haul refuse only inside the butcher's area), then have your refuse orders set so that skins and hair are automatically dumped. If you have all of these things, slaughtering animals is very nearly safe, as the haulers will rapidly annihilate the parts that might reanimate, and if they do happen to come alive again they won't be able to escape from that complex without going over multiple weapon traps which should take them down.

Actually butchering corpses probably isn't worth the risk, but in a biome with enough delay between death and reanimation and with a skilled enough butcher, it might be doable. The question is whether a butcher is actually physically capable of butchering a corpse before it comes back to life.

All in all, though, simply having vegetarian dwarves, importing all your meat, or only doing your meat industry outside the undead zone is safer and easier.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 04:53:09 am »

if you're fast enough you can tan the skin to leather and spin the hair to thread before it comes alive.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 07:21:37 am »

if you're fast enough you can tan the skin to leather and spin the hair to thread before it comes alive.
Actually this. I forgot that .06 fixed workshop clutter.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:47:53 am »

simple: All your butchers are in the millatery, the floor around the butcher shop is carpeted in weapon traps -reanimation triggers the trap- and the chute is optional.

question: does constructing a floor increase reanimation time for objects ontop of it?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 08:06:51 am »

Is it silly when the broken remains of the undead refuse to stay dead? There are supernatural forces at work in the universe of forever, and they aren't benign.
Sure thing, but I don't think a Stray Chicken Skin Cell Corpse (tame) should be considered an effective combatant anymore. I mean, no matter how much punishment you deal out, as long as the completely pulped body part retains [GRASP], it will keep coming back for more.

As opposed to a "lives" counter, I'd love to see a random chance of the undead body parts to be rendered into LUDICROUS GIBS! and effectively removed from existence.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 08:18:04 am »

Cage traps, young one, cage traps everywhere.

And you can streamline your butchery process, make sure that you have a few dedicated tanners, and spin that hair into yarn real fast.

But, yeah, you'll get sick of that and eventually decide to live off farms & crocodile eggs.
Pages: [1] 2