Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 18)  (Read 16831 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 15)
« Reply #165 on: May 24, 2012, 05:44:13 am »

"I'm a bit busy here!"

LIVE DAMN IT!
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 16:
October 13th, 1888

The HMS Alastor arrives from the north and starts circling around the Thunderchild. It squares off with the steam plane below it, and opens up fire from its four main cannons on front. The night is lit orange from the massive barrage - each hit screams into the steamplane, and knocks a sizable chunk off. After a half dozen salvos from the battery, there is nothing left but a cable hanging from the Thunderchild.

Gerald is desperate. The big cable runs through the floor to an arm sized dart stuck in the floor beams above him. The steel is stronger than his saber, but the the decks of Thunderchild is not. He pushes a few crates together, and precariously climbs up top. He holds the saber with two hands, and starts chopping at the floor beams as hard as he can, trying to dislodge the dart. After about the fourth hit, sees the cable go limp. He looks through the hole in the floor - there's a friendly airship blowing the steamplane into smithereens!

Lyliss is still working on the engine as the Alastor starts blasting the steamplane. This is a relief.. but the change in load on the has sent the Thunderchild into a steep correction course. The ship banks hard to one side, and Lyliss suddenly finds herself hanging off the side of the engine and looking down. She's used to the altitude and the unsteadiness of an airship, so she hooks her legs into some pipes and continues working. With her goggles, she can see the warped metal where the engine has heated up... there's likely a seized bearing under there. To Lyliss, the world is starting to look pretty bleak. Her hand is starting to hurt again, and the amphetamines are starting to wear off.. there's a dull ache in her head that is getting worse with each passing minute. The seized bearing repair is going to be very difficult, without a climbing harness.

Wesley paces back in forth , thinking back to his medical training. There are only a few things that could be going on, but none of them make sense in this situation. Nothing major was hurt... but it seems like her heart rate is plummeting. Operating on an airship is never an ideal situation.. maybe this has something to do with the altitude. No matter the cause, he can treat this symptom. He's done a thousand surgeries in his life time, and they've all had some small deviation from a strict medical textbook case. He rummaged through his tinctures, his syringes, and his scapels and found a bottle filled with a clear liquid, marked only with an "A".

He used a syringe to draw in the adrenaline, tapped the side to remove the bubbles, then pushed the plunger to shoot some of the solution across the room. He debated only slightly about the location to give the shot... the most effective place is going to be  the heart.

Adrienne hears the words "Come... back."

Charles sees the Alastor come in, so he uses the last of his strength to put it on a straight course so the intercept will be easy. He wraps his arms around the wheel, and uses his legs to push hard into it, hoping he can keep the rudders straight. He hears the cannons start firing and smiles - the Alastor has destroyed the steamplane. The Thunderchild may not hit the ground after all! The ship swings widely and he cuts the throttle all the way back , to put it on a slow and steady course. He signals to the Alastor another message :
Code: [Select]
Maintaining course 188 begin boarding

Player Status :
Spoiler: Charles(Doomblade187) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyliss(Skyrunner) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gerald(Nirur Torir) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harker(Riccto) (click to show/hide)
Airship
Spoiler: available stations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Airship Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:47:30 pm by Mullet Master »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 16)
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2012, 12:10:43 am »

(edited)

Nothing to do but keep repairing.
(ditto)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:41:45 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2012, 01:45:21 am »

The Sun was going down.

Adrienne could just barely see the stars now-softly shining, in the twilight blackness. They beckoned her...and, though this long night might be dark indeed, she would never lose their light. Her father was beside her, comforting-forgiving. She was ready to go Home.

Adrienne reached out her hand to take his-but instead of clasping it, he handed her something.

A small toy. It was a Cuckoo bird. The simplest, most treasured of toys. Adrienne remembered naming hers-but she had abandoned it, along with the rest of her toys and games, as she grew older-ever greater games, and more intricate toys beckoned. On instinct, she turned the wind-up key, feeling that old familiar groove-the one that fit her small fingers just right. For, her Mother had made it just for her.

*strick-strick-strick...click*

She smiled to hear the sweet little warbling tweets again. At times, she imagined it was a living thing...there was something else, though. It told her to come back. They needed her.

Who needed her?

Snow began to fall around Adrienne (or maybe it was ash). With it, cold. With the cold, memory. Proggrov. War. Duty. Honor. She sighed, a weary sound-as if she had lived a hundred years for every one.

Adrienne was so very tired.

But, it was not quite time to sleep yet.

Her Father was looking upon her, and he was still sad-but, his eyes glittered with tears. Adrienne remembered him only crying twice in his life. When Mother passed. And when she left home.

Now, Adrienne the young girl, was Adrienne the young woman-a travelling satchel over her back, the gleam of adventure in her spirit. She was young, and passionate, full of life-radiant as the sun

"It's going to be all right, Dad. I have to go now...but, I'll come back, one day. And we can be together." She said.

He nodded, understanding. He kissed her on the forehead, and she smiled, feeling her skin blush.

Thus, did Adrienne rise from the table-leaving the tea and cakes untouched, for they beckoned sleep-and walked into the full dark that had fallen, with only stars to guide her. Away from Home-away from rest. She was not quite done, not yet...

Now, Adrienne just had to find her way. She felt an itching on her arm, and scratched it idly. The sensation was almost painful-but, it seemed to bring things into focus.

What was that up ahead, she wondered. It almost looked like a window...an unfamiliar mans face peering through, looking upon her with worry and compassion-like her Father did. She thought to get closer, and see who he was...just a bit closer. It was a long way though-and it was getting very dark.

Adrienne shrugged, and began to walk, a spring in her step.

Action: Call my sleep-bound heart to rise...and greet the dawn with wakeful eyes.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:47:38 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2012, 10:41:14 am »

((what the hell was that...))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2012, 10:50:09 am »

((@King: Return from death figurative-literal dream scene, where have you been? O_o))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2012, 11:45:06 am »

((@King: Return from death figurative-literal dream scene, where have you been? O_o))

((Wasn't talking about that.))

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2012, 01:28:14 pm »

((Skyrunner's changed post or the turn in general? ))

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2012, 01:32:12 pm »

((Skyrunner's changed post or the turn in general? ))

((my entire turn.))

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2012, 01:41:48 pm »

(( I don't feel it is grossly out of character for a doctor to behave as such, or maybe you think it's too weird in general. Irregardless, If you'd like to rewrite, PM me and I'll change it. It still needs to end with an adrenaline shot. ))

This has been changed.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:10:04 pm by Mullet Master »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 27, 2012, 10:25:02 am »

Inject the adrenaline.  Continue surgery.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2012, 10:33:59 am »

((Can my character see Lyliss?))

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2012, 03:49:55 pm »

((Bump! D: We need actions people!

And... where were you, Nirur ? hrm... I'd say not, but it's up to MM.))

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2012, 04:09:44 pm »

"Chaps! We're going aboard! Lieutenant, take the wheel. They're heading steady on a course of 188, take the Alastor in, nice and slow. Jenkins?" The colonel leans in to his speaker-tube now, addressing his old comrade the engineer. "Come to the bridge, you're coming with me. Monty? You too. If they want us to board straight away there must be something wrong, and the only damned thing that can go wrong up here is the ship or the sailor. Lieuenant, detail me two marines to meet us on the upper bridge ready to board. I won't trust their bloody captain till I look him in the eye. If you don't get our signal within two minutes – blow the bastard out of the sky. Or at least cripple her... We wouldn't want Monty and Jenkins to buy it now, would we, eh? Wouldn't be bloody fair, what?"

The colonel climbed up the short ladder to leave the bridge and join his doctor and his engineer on the upper bridge area. Waiting for the range to close and the ships to stabilise their respective courses, he readied the boarding grappling irons. The two marines joined the three men; they waited to board. From the main bridge the colonel could hear his lieutenant take command.

"Ready the fore battery! Solid shot, all guns train on their engine structure! The captain's going aboard!"

Ready boarding crew; board when possible. Head straight to the bridge to signal to the Alastor that we are safe, if we are.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2012, 04:37:07 pm »

"Ok guys, we have some friendlies boarding the ship, so be helpful and don't attack. Also, can you bring up the prisoner?"

Maintain the course, and meet the Captain of the Alastor. Keep all weapons holstered. Explain the situation.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14