Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 18)  (Read 16846 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 5)
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2012, 06:55:14 pm »

"Get up! .. I've never piloted beyond training courses. How can I help?"

Help Charles up and aid him in us not dying horribly.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:57:42 pm by Nirur Torir »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2012, 08:00:46 pm »

((The RNG god hates me, doesn't he...))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2012, 01:34:18 pm »

"Open the window!"

If she can hear me; Then climb through the window.
If she can't hear me; hold on until someone can pull me up.
If I can't fit through the window, stick my leg through it at least, then tie the rope around my belt securely, then climb up.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2012, 06:30:33 pm »

Harker walks away at a brisk pace from the steam thruster, he'd rather have nothing to do with the confounded thing!

HELP PILOT THIS THING SO WE DONT DIE
Raggle Fraggle

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 6 :
October 12th, 1888

Although happy-go-lucky is typically Lyliss' style, she's starting to get stressed. Really stressed. Remembering something from her combat airship boiler operations book, she knows that there's about a one in a hundred chance of restarting the vessel within the next ten minutes. She cuts off the incoming water valves to the boiler, and then pulverizes a pile of coal with the shovel. She knows she's going to need some help, so she opens the window to let Wesley in. As Wesley maneuvers himself through the window, Lyliss hands the coal shovel to him and says "Throw the coal dust in. Hard. " Wesley does as told, and the boiler is filled with a cloud of black dust. Lyliss slams the door shut, and pulls the ignition lever.

BOOM

The explosion resounds throughout the vessel, and every pipe connected to the boiler is transmitting it. It's louder than a cannon shot, and deafening to those below decks. Lyliss tries to tell Wesley what she just has done, but he can't hear her. She shrugs, and starts loading the boiler with the right mixture of components to fire it back up again. She finishes by turning back on the incoming water valve, closing the boiler door, and turning on the ignition. The boiler comes to life, although in a deafened state neither Lyliss or Wesley can hear anything other than a ringing in their ears, both can feel the heat coming off the pipes attached. She takes a look at the clock on the wall and smirks. Five minutes to restart the boiler.

Lyliss' gambit was to to flash dry the boiler, so that new fuel would light quickly. It is a risky move, and a miscalculated amount of coal dust would have basically destroyed the vessel. It is fortunate that Wesley only threw about half a shovelful in...

Gerald hefts Charles to his feet. They both look to the front of the ship and see that the nose is pointed slightly downwards and they are dropping towards a large mass of factory buildings. When the explosion comes from the boiler, both hit the deck quickly because many control pipes emit small blasts of steam. It's just the residual water leaving the lines , but still could be dangerous. Both men are very slow to come to their feet and they say nearly simultaneously , "Did the boiler explode?".
Charles gets up and reads the main gauges. "Gerald, we have pressure again! Lyliss must have restarted the boiler!" 

Gerald doesn't hear him as Adrienne is yelling in his face. He winces and tries to keep busy, but is too distracted.

Harker comes from below decks. Everyone sees his wool suit has been soaked, likely from steam venting near him. Adrienne starts yelling at him about something, but Charles interrupts and sends him on an errand to rebalance the buoyancy valves. He's not that comfortable with the task, but knows it has to be done. The front of the ship must be pitched upwards, so Harker starts climbing the rope ladder to the crows nest, where the valves are located. It takes a while to figure out how to balance them, but after a few minutes he's able to get the front of the ship pointed at the right pitch. After nearly destroying the vessel, he feels pretty relieved to have done something right.

Adrienne has determined the current heading to be "the ground" and officially loses it. She first yells at Gerald, then at Charles. After the bang from the boiler, she still is standing there, yelling "We are going to die! Die!" She can think of nothing else productive to do , so she goes out on deck and watches the ground approach. She starts breathing heavily, hoping to calm herself, and it works. There's a brief serene moment - the ship drifting slowly down towards a large building with a dozen iron smokestacks, each illuminated by gaslights. It's almost like they spell something. Is the word "Hope"?

She walks back to the bridge and sees Gerald, and the sight of another scared human completely devastates her courage. Adrienne resumes screaming.

Charles gets control of the ship once the boiler is at full pressure, and puts full power into the engines, the resonating drone becomes very comforting to the entire crew. The Thunderchild begins a steep climb towards the dark sky.

<<There will be a slight time lapse here. Choose one action, and choose a station to default to>>

Player Status :
Spoiler: Charles(Doomblade187) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyliss(Skyrunner) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gerald(Nirur Torir) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harker(Riccto) (click to show/hide)
Airship
Spoiler: available stations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Airship Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:56:22 pm by Mullet Master »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2012, 06:57:55 pm »

"I have the helm! I'm taking us up!

Take the helm and take the ship high, above the fighting. Make sure to save a bit of steam for when we really need it, though- don't use it all up on the climb. Also, try to avoid using the steam thruster.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2012, 07:22:16 pm »

Harker draped his coat over one of the steam-pipes as he walked to the aft end of the ship, briskly.

Man the Gattling Gun. Be on the lookout for enemy fliers.
Raggle Fraggle

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2012, 08:47:34 pm »

Lyliss goes find Adrienne and hugs her.

"I could hear your voice all the way from the boiler room!"
she says into Adrienne's shoulder.
"Your voice is pretty," she adds.

(Default to boiler room)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2012, 09:16:17 pm »

Man the front cannon and standby for combat.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2012, 11:17:55 pm »

Adrienne allowed herself to become somewhat relaxed, now that the ship wasn't plummeting to doom. She took the time to straighten her hat. And her negligee, which was danger of becoming endearingly undone.

In any case, the little child-engineer had come from no where and latched onto her like barnacle to the hull a steamship. It was sort of comforting.

"...ah, I took elocution classes, little girl. I guess some lessons never left me.

Umm, what's your name anyway? I'm Adrienne Du'Morne..."
she said, in a light and somewhat scratchy voice. She gained a bit of incidental courage reciting her title. "..Senior Proggrovian Travelling Diplomatic Envoy, Order of the Steamhorn Matriarch, 2nd tier Seneschal and King's under-consort.

Pleased to make your acquaintance."
She said, rattling them off-though her voice wavered a bit on the last one.

Action: Get it back. Straighten hat and other 'loose items' to try and calm down.

Head to Quarters afterwards.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2012, 11:23:11 pm »

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2012, 05:10:00 am »

'That's a long nane,"
Lyliss says while letting go.
"I'm just Lyliss, and I don't have a last name..

Well, Adrienne Du'morne, Senior Prog..gogovi...Travelling ... steamhorn... eh? Bye!
"

Badly mangling her name , she dashes off to the hot boiler room.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2012, 01:15:48 pm »

Wesley's head was still ringing as he climbed out of the boiler room. "Well that was... unpleasant." He pulled out his hankerchief and wiped the coal dust from his spectacles. "I think I've had enough air for one day."

Heads to the infirmary, its probably a mess.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 7:
October 13th, 1888
Fifteen after twelve.

((Character interactions between each other are always "official" events- I typically will not repeat them in-turn unless they fit into another action))

The airship climbs steadily through the night sky. Charles notes the altimeter has reached 2000 meters, and reduces the rate of ascent slightly to save fuel. He briefly steps away from the wheel to check the weather outside. It's still raining steadily. The ship is well drenched, and the barometer is indicating that the rain is still probably long from over.

Over the edge of the railing, the ship is surrounded in nearly complete darkness. The storm clouds above are blocking the moon, and below the cityscape has turned to countryside, with lights few and far between. Charles takes one last look with his spyglass, and decides that the Thunderchild is safe, for now.

Wesley goes below decks, to the quarters. There's a room at the far end which is designated as his infirmary. Inside is a simple bed with thick cotton sheets, a few oak chairs, and some basic medical equipment stashed in a chest. He turns on the arclight inside by pulling a knife switch, and the room is illuminated from overhead by a pale flickering blue light. As expected, most of the furniture and medical supplies are strewn about the room. He gets to work on cleaning up the place.

Adrienne is heartened after the exchange with Lyliss, but it's cold outside and rainy. She heads downstairs to the quarters, noting Wesley busy in a room in the corner. She heads to her own room, the largest and most opulent. No expense has been spared for a diplomats room. The heavy glass window has a thick velvet curtain in front, bearing the insignia of Poggrov. The bed is large, and has a thin gauze canopy around it to conceal the occupant. There's a few large mirrors with frames of highly polished brass, and a massive oak wardrobe with matching gleaming brass knobs.  Adrienne stands briefly in front of the mirror and adjusts her clothing and hat. It's very hard for her not to smile as she sees herself and the room around her.

Lyliss returns to the boiler room, feeling at home with the roar of the fires and the clicking of the steam radial engines and other machinery. She quickly goes over the equipment and finds most things to be working okay. There's a few valves which are leaking steam, but nothing that one of the wrenches in her toolbox can't fix.

Gerald takes his position at the front cannon, and keeps watch. All that is in his field of vision is a dark, amorphous cloud, illuminated by the occasional flash of lightning. It's getting cold outside - the rain is downright chilling, and the heating vent placed near him can't seem to keep him warm enough. No doubt the engines are taking the majority of the steam production, so he pulls his overcoat tighter and continues watching for enemies.

Harker is at the gatling gun, around the bottom of the ship. After a few minutes of watching the lights of the buildings below, he notices the airship has left the city. This is disturbing, as the lights of the city would show the form of any ship coming towards the Thunderchild.
It's fatiguing to be vigilant in such low light conditions - every fog cloud looks like an airship, and every lighting flash is too fleeting to see anything. After ten minutes, Riccto sees something. Multiple somethings.

Two steam planes approach the airship. Steam planes are basically biplanes which employ a steam thruster and a steam holding tank, and have no steam generating capability. They are typically launched from large airships, and have a very short range. They can be extremely fast, but in battle situations they are used for two roles - bombing or boarding.

Harker tries not to let them get close enough to find out. They are approaching from below and left of the airship. He loads a belt of ammunition into the gatling gun, and tries to line up one plane in his iron crosshair. The gatling gun starts firing slowly and rapidly accelerates it's rate as the barrels start to heat up. A stream of golden orange tracer shots disappears into the night, likely missing there target.

Harker uses the steam valve near him to swing the turret around quickly and search for the other plane. He wonders if it has made it above his firing arc yet? No. There's one. He sees the ship, not even 30 meters away from his position , trying to accelerate past the airship. He once again squeezes the trigger and lets a hellish salvo of rounds into the steam plane. These rounds strike true, and the plane is torn into pieces and heads towards the ground.

There's only limited time to warn the others , so Harker takes off for the decks above.

Gerald and Charles see the first plane, along the right side of the airship. There's men standing on the wing, swinging ropes and grappling hooks.

Wesley sees the second plane, out his window. It is low and to the left side of the airship. The men inside the plane are carrying a blunderbuss with a grappling hook and rope attached, preparing to board from below.   

Player Status :
Spoiler: Charles(Doomblade187) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyliss(Skyrunner) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gerald(Nirur Torir) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harker(Riccto) (click to show/hide)
Airship
Spoiler: available stations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Airship Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:03:46 pm by Mullet Master »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2012, 10:10:28 pm »

"What? ... Two? ... Two steam planes? Nah, we should be fine, we jut need to be ready for them."

Charles sends a message through the tubes, sending it all around the ship: "All crew, report to battle stations. There are two steam planes spotted. This is NOT a drill, or I wouldn't bother you.

Ask where exactly the steam planes are and turn to give the guns a better shot, mainly Riccto.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14