Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 18)  (Read 16832 times)

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
Re: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 14)
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2012, 10:04:04 pm »

Harker made sure their new prisoner was secured Then  went on patrol to see if there were any other nasties aboard the ship
Raggle Fraggle

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2012, 04:22:30 am »

Continue action
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2012, 04:53:42 am »

“Sir, the Thunderchild is signalling intermittently. She’s a kilometre away and we’re heading straight for her. She’s losing altitude rapidly!”

“Very good. Here, hand me the spy glass.”

The colonel leans into the night gloom and squints down the instrument. He takes a step back as if to check his moustache is still there before stepping back into the glass.

“Oh! I say. They’ve lost control. They must have had a brush with those bloody fighters that were after us – that or there’s even more of the blighters out there. Lieutenant? Signal to ask what aid we can give, and ready the mooring cables. If they can’t get out of that spin we’re going to have to try to hold them – oh, gosh. They’ve got one of those bloody fighters stuck to the bloody hull. Must be what’s dragging them down. Well, ready the bloody grappling cables too.”

The old man hands the spy glass back to his lieutenant and strides forward to take the wheel. He puts his left hand down upon it, thinks for a second, and then takes it with both, purposefully planting both feet apart and staring ahead at the night sky as if it were personally challenging him.

He saw one of the enemy fighters circle briefly past him on its way round his ship, but with little alarm. Now his aft battery was back in action he had faith in the firepower and crew of his ship to be able to hold such attackers off. Just as he finished his train of thought a burst of fire broke out from the aft gunner as if to punctuate it. The speaker tube sounded.

“That’s the last of them sir! The bugger’s going down in flames!”

Pilot directly towards the Thunderchild whilst signalling offer of aid. Ready the longest and strongest cables on board and prepare the boiler for maximum power. Ready the infirmary.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2012, 04:59:14 am »

"New ship to the (whatever side I'm on)!"
Lyliss shouted, before scrambling towards the engine like the daredevil she was when it came to engineering.

Fix the engine.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 15:
October 13th, 1888
Four after one...

Gerald continues looking for cables to knock loose. He's now on the third floor, looking through a hole in the bottom of the ship. There's a very thick steel cable that is holding the majority of the steamplanes weight. As the steamplane swings around beneath the ship, each new cycle rips a little more out of the decking and the hole to the world below gets bigger. He tries hacking at it with his saber, but is unable to cause any serious damage to it.

Harker double checks the knots that bind the prisoner to the chair. They are very firm, and nothing short of a bear could break the ropes.  He draws his revolver and takes a quick patrol of the ship. There's holes of varying sizes everywhere - likely from cannon shot or grappling attempts. The biggest is on the second level - theres a steel cable that seems to circle around itself a dozen times. Apparently, the automaton was hoisted aboard the vessel by a complicated pulley mechanism attached to a grappling dart. The 2nd floor seems to be clear of any additional enemies, so Harker heads down to the third level, where the boiler and many other ship mechanisms are housed. There's nobody there, either. He heads back up the circular staircase to the first level.

Lyliss sets out on one of the beams that attach the engine to the ship. It's barely wide enough for a foot to hold onto, and it is slick from the mixture of rain and oil spray coming from the engine's severed lines. She can hold onto another beam at a little over eye level, but it's equally as slick. She has to make a choice on tools, since she's not going to be able to carry anything in her hands. There's only one tool that can do everything, and that is her trusted monkeywrench. Her heart is still pounding from her earlier dose of amphetamines, so she's definitely having trouble taking the first step. The Thunderchild is spiralling ever closer to the dark earth below, and now there really is little time left.

Lyliss grabs onto the upper beam and starts shuffling out towards the engine. Sliding the left foot to the left, and the right foot to the right, and then readjusting her grip. It's laborious, and nerve racking. The wind is buffeting around her and making her feel as far from stable as possible, and the steamplane hanging below the ship swinging like a large pendulum makes her feel even worse.  After what seems to be an eternity, she reaches the sleek cylindrical body of the engine. There's a complex system of tubes - oil, high pressure steam, medium pressure steam, low pressure steam... crisscrossing the entire engine, and it looks like one pile of tubes have all bust loose from their proper places, likely caused by a passing grappling hook.

She reaches the engine, and swings her left leg over it and faces the propeller and the mess of tubes. She intuitively starts sorting out where each goes, and crimping on the connections with the jaws of her monkeywrench.

((OOC: A radial engine looks like  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Nakajima_Homare.jpg. Picture one of these, on front of a streamlined cylinder, with a large propeller attached to the front))

Adrienne is completely unconscious and anesthetized. There are vague dreams of spice cakes and tea in the afternoon under a bright September sky.

Wesley has administered anesthetic to Adrienne and has started surgery. The first step now that she's asleep is to use a clotting agent to stop the flow of blood from interfering with his work. He applies it on a cotton ball and rubs it into her wound. It's obvious the bullet has fractured quite a bit of bone, so he'll have to clear those fragments out as when he takes out the bullet. He gets out his smallest pair of forceps and starts extracting fragments. The ship is pitched at a somewhat odd angle in a banked turn, so the lantern above the operating table swings back and forth, making it frustrating to do any delicate work with the forceps. Sweat is pouring from Wesley's brow as he removes the largest piece of bullet from the wound, and he sighs in relief as he sits the fragment into a metal tray next to the table.

But Adrienne's vital signs seem to be weakening, her heart beats slower and her breaths are shorter. Did he give her too much anesthetic, or is there something with the gunshot that is doing this? Did he injure something during surgery?

Charles is exhausted from fighting the ships controls. As the steamplane swings beneath the Thunderchild, the rudders oscillate wildly and have to be pushed back into their neutral positions in order to keep the descent as slow as possible. The boiler isn't quite producing enough power and the ship is falling at a faster pace now. As the friendly airship gets closer, Charles sends out one message in Morse code to the approaching ship by blinking the signal lights.

Code: [Select]
Get this blasted thing off of us, now!
Player Status :
Spoiler: Charles(Doomblade187) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyliss(Skyrunner) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gerald(Nirur Torir) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harker(Riccto) (click to show/hide)
Airship
Spoiler: available stations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Airship Stats (click to show/hide)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 15)
« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2012, 07:50:12 pm »

Welp, I suppose there is nothing to do but continue.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2012, 07:52:46 pm »

Same here. I guess I'll just have to continue as well, though I'll say one thing through the tubes: "People, I need all the boarding cables off this ship. If there's one you can't remove, don't endanger yourself- I've asked for help from the other ship on that. Lyliss, do you know what's wrong with the engines?"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:21:17 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2012, 08:11:43 pm »

Continue my ineffectual attacks!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2012, 08:12:58 pm »

Adrienne opened her eyes. Hmm. Where was the ship? What was this place, she wondered?

And why was she a little girl again? Hardly older than Lyliss. But, who was Lyliss? She couldn't quite recall...she felt a bit feverish, and her hair was a tangled mess-and what was this red all over her beautiful dress? This horrible, horrible red, deepening into black?

Not that any of that mattered. She knew she was home-a home long gone, burned away by time, but it was also here. She was here. And, there was sweet tea and cinnamon cakes, all laid out in a row on a blue Chyna plate. She thought of taking a bite, but reconsidered for reasons she didn't know.

She looked up at the sky. While it was still the light of day, dusk was rapidly approaching. Yes, Mother or Father would call her into the house soon-time for bed. Time for sleep. She felt a presence beside her. It was her Father. He had died, of course, but he was also here. She was very happy to see him.

"Dad?" She said, hopefully. He smiled, and spoke in a warm, gentle tone-the same voice that he used to sooth her skinned knees, burned hands and tears wasted on spurned boyfriends. "Adrienne. My daughter. As you know, sometimes virtuous men pass mildly away...and women, too."

Adrienne felt a moments hesitation. A fluttering fear, like a panicked bird in a cage.

"I'm...not ready to go inside yet, Dad." She admitted. "Can't we wait here for a bit...watch the stars come out, together?"

He angled his head for a moment-that old habit, his way of saying I'm trying to tell you something, girl

After a moment he spoke again, a little bit more sadly. "..And whisper to their souls to go, Whilst some of their sad friends do say, "Now his breath goes,"..."

Adrienne nodded, not quite understanding. "Dad? Is everything all right? Am I going somewhere?" She asked, quietly.

The pause again. Then he spoke one more "...and some say, "No."

Adrienne thought a moment.

"No." She said. Then again, more forcefully. Time seemed to stand still...as if awaiting something. Adrienne relented, and took a sip of tea. It tasted like Heaven.

Action: So let us melt, and make no noise-no tear-floods, nor sigh-tempests move...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:14:48 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2012, 08:40:02 pm »

"Wesley, is Adrienne doing okay? Because I don't want any of my crew dying on this ship.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2012, 09:14:08 pm »

Lyliss communicated, "No, everything's fine!" in the tone of voice that suggested Everything That Can Go Wrong Has, And Then A Few.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2012, 09:20:46 pm »

"So wait, why is the starboard engine producing less thrust than it should? There has to be a problem somewhere."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2012, 09:30:06 pm »

"Absolutely no reason," said Lyliss in a strained tone of voice. The furthest pipe was slightly out of comfortable reach...

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2012, 09:39:48 pm »

Charles smiled at Lyliss's tone, replying "Well, just get it fixed, then. But please, be careful. I don't want anybody else getting hurt."

((Only Harker and Wesley haven't been hurt by this point, I've noticed.))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2012, 03:20:27 am »

“Hmm… Sounds like a reasonably bloody request, eh what? Jenkins? Full speed ahead! Lieutenant? Order the forward battery armed with solid shot and then head aft and ready the grappling cables! We’re only going to get one go at this, I reckon… Bertrand? Don’t let up on the rear battery. Keep ‘em peeled.”

The air-colonel pilots directly towards the steam-plane hanging of the Thunderchild; and the closest possible safe range he orders the forward battery to open fire on the steam-plane to see if we can’t knock the blighter off. Assuming that non-fatally fails, he’ll pilot the Alastor right in front of the steam-plane, order Lieutenant Gomez to attack the grappling cables, and then head away from the Thunderchild, ready to apologise via morse code if for some reason this leads to severe death.

((If it doesn’t work we’ll just have to tie a massive cable round the Thunderchild and hold her up until repairs can be done, or something. I got the impression from the above turn that there was enough dangling distance to shoot the steam-plane without endangering Lyliss; if not, then don’t shoot.))
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14