Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 18)  (Read 16833 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 12)
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2012, 11:14:07 pm »

((OOC are we getting an update any time soon?))
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2012, 02:57:20 am »

"Blast! Keep that bloody pressure up, Jenkins! We'll outrun that heavy blighter if it kills me. Lieutenant!"

"Yes Colonel?"

"Signal again; if they don't reply with the answering code before we get in range ready the front battery! Arbuthnot?"

The old man bent forwards to speak into the communication tube and then cocked his head to listen for a reply. None came.

"Damn and bloody blast, Arbuthnot! I'm coming aft to take care of those damn pursuers myself! I'll not be shot down by a pair of bloody steam-birds, so I'll be bloody damned if I'll be shot down by a bloody pair of pairs! By Cog, Lieutenant, take the blasted bridge!"

The old man turned, wrapped his greatcoat around his bony frame, and stomped off towards the back end of his airship without a look back.

...   ...   ...   ...   ...   ...

The old man was incensed by the time he reached the aft battery. When he'd first joined up as a wide-eyed fifteen year old he'd been lashed by his first captain for letting an enemy steam-bird get a second circle round the captain's precious craft. His back still bore the scars; he could still fill the ripples in his skin when he undressed every cursed evening he had to spend back on land. That was one reason to welcome this damned war. Damn and blast his bloody mind for wandering so! Enemy bloody steam-birds! They'd circled three times each now, harmlessly exchanging fire with the Alastor as they got their range in. He'd bloody show 'em! He reached the hatch to the aft gatling battery, a rigged up set of three gatlings he – or rather his engineer, Jenkins – had managed to synchronise. Bloody unforgiveable to miss with those beauties...

He tugged the hatch open with a suddeness his wiry build might not have led to suspect.

"Oh... bloody hell. Poor boy. Well, you're forgiven, Arbuthnot. Let's hope I am when I tell your father..."

...   ...   ...   ...   ...   ...

"Aha ya buggers!" shouted the air-colonel as the gatling cannons slowed down and the cold night air blew through the shattered glass of the battery's viewing panel. He realised there was a voice joining him in the dark.

"Sir! Colonel! We've got a reply from the sighting, Colonel! It's the Thunderchild!"

"Damn and blast! I was beginning... oh well... thank Cog for that, I suppose."

He leant in towards the speaker tube.

"Understood Lieutenant. Steer a course. I'm coming up. There's two more of those blighters out there somewhere, send one of the fore gunners down here to take the aft battery. Arbuthnot's bought it. "
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:32:27 am by lawastooshort »

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2012, 06:49:31 am »

OOC: I am having a few cameos throughout the game. This is the first, where I let some other people fill key roles in the game rather than me just creating another NPC. It's kind of a game experiment I've been wanting to do for a long time. The normal game will continue - I will be posting another turn tonight.

And thanks to our first guest, la, for being a good sport about this!

To make it clear how this works: I have asked another person to play the role of a major non player character. In this case, it is lawastooshort. I meant to announce the cameo appearance, but we got kinda mixed up with the huge difference in time zones and posting times.  Any text posted by lawastooshort is part of the official game unless i say otherwise.

I am doing this to let others in on the fun, and perhaps send the game in directions I havent previously thought of.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:36:53 am by Mullet Master »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2012, 06:53:09 am »

OOC: I am having a few cameos throughout the game. This is the first, where I let some other people fill key roles in the game rather than me just creating another NPC. It's kind of a game experiment I've been wanting to do for a long time. The normal game will continue - I will be posting another turn tonight.

And thanks to our first guest, la, for being a good sport about this!

((Well thanks for warning us, and here I was thinking lawastooshort was being a huge arrogant asshole by just jumping in.))

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 13:
October 13th, 1888

Gerald finishes the fallen soldier with a quick sweep of his saber to the man's neck. This day has started out poorly for him, just past midnight and already another mans blood on his saber. He wipes off his blade with a rag, sheathes it, and looks up at a grimacing Harker.

Harker knocks out the automaton controller with a swift kick to the head. He immediately gets to the business of restraining the prisoner, and with Gerald's help, drags him into an unused state room. it takes both both men to lift the prisoner into a chair and tie him up with some mooring rope.

Wesley quickly gets Lyliss on the table and gets to work on her. She's not in terribly bad shape, but is likely in shock. It's evident that the ship is going down, and without an engineer the crew may not stand a chance. He's already given her a booster shot, so now is time to begin the revival.

He gets out a small brown bottle, a tincture of reviving salts. He takes a small dab on the tip of his finger, and spreads the brown, syrupy liquid under Lyliss' nose. The room is filled with a sharp scent that causes a burning sensation throughout the entire length of the nostrils. This doesn't take immediate effect, so the next treatment is a shot of a powerful stimulant.

Wesley prepares a needle with the stimulant, and injects it into Lyliss' arm. He turns to the doorway for a brief moment to see a stumbling Adrienne, and as he turns back around, Lyliss is sitting up on the table.

Adrienne takes two steps backwards, somewhat breathless. She vaguely hears some instructions by Wesley, but really isn't sure who he's talking to. The world starts spinning and it is hard to make out what is going on. Did Gerald just behead someone?

After a few uncertain steps, she quickly turns and is taken into the arms of Wesley. Unable to treat both patients simultaneously, he sits Adrienne down at a table and fills her hands with bandages.

Lyliss' nose is filled with a sharp, vaguely cinnamon like scent. It is causing a burn all the way down to her throat, and fills her mouth with an acidic flavor. Her heart is racing, and every single beat causes a pulse of light to be seen in the peripheries of her vision. In front of her is Wesley shouting something incoherent at a wounded Adrienne. The bright crimson stain on her blouse glows with an unnatural light - in fact, every light has odd halos around it.  She opens her mouth to emit a scream, but falls silent as she sees her toolbox. Between heavy heartbeats and deep breaths, she visualizes the tools within the box. Spanner wrench... mechanic's picks ... engine oil. Lyliss mouths the word "Engine" as she watches Wesley examine Adrienne.

Charles continues to try to right the ship. The ship is still spiraling downwards, but he's at least able to keep it at a slow pace. Every time the port side faces the allied ship, he sends the signal. Hopefully whoever is out there will be able to get to the Thunderchild before it careens into the ground.

Player Status :
Spoiler: Charles(Doomblade187) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyliss(Skyrunner) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gerald(Nirur Torir) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harker(Riccto) (click to show/hide)
Airship
Spoiler: available stations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Airship Stats (click to show/hide)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 13)
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2012, 12:12:28 am »

Lyliss isn't gonna die right away because of some burn and a slight concussion.  Begin floor surgery, I have to remove what is probably very likely a bullet from Adrienne, before she dies and we lose our... woman.. who does... something.

Be a doctor.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2012, 02:01:35 am »

Adrienne always felt Death would dim her vision-a slow blackness overtaking her, then endless sleep.

The reality was a bit more unnerving. She felt like she was slowly falling into a long tunnel-her view of Wesley King, hovering over her in a medical reverie, was getting further and further away. His glasses winked in the gaslamp light. Given he might very well be the last thing Adrienne ever saw, she found herself taking in his features with incredible detail. She didn't dare speak-her mind raved that to utter a word would draw the bony fingers of Death to her like a moth to flame-but, she plead with her eyes, for him to save her.

...It was like she was viewing the world in a movie screen. The edges of her sight were being replaced with cold, utter darkness, as the screen moved further and further away.

Adrienne didn't know if she was dying. But, she really didn't want to...she called up her reserves of inner strength, determined to will herself to survive. Or die trying, of course.

Action: Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2012, 08:22:05 am »

((Minor note : The images with yellow hair in my rotation are Lyliss.))

Ugh... Lyliss rubbed whatever was under her nose away, trying to rid herself of its nose-destroying power. "I'm neeever never going to eat cinnamon..." She takes a moment to undizzy herself, then shot up and out the door, taking the toolbox with her.

Go to the deck and set the controls to full thrust, or ask the helmsperson (Charles?) to do so. Full power and ascend!

Also, go to engine room and tend to fire.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2012, 09:01:03 pm »

"People- we need to stop falling. I need somebody, preferably Lyliss if you're okay, to make sure the boiler is running good and that I have maximum power. Harker and Gerald, make sure the steamplane isn't still attached, and if it is, remove it. I don't care how. If the steamplane isn't on the ship, please go ahead get ready to send the automaton overboard. It just might be dragging us down. I need help. I'm signalling, but I don't have a response yet, and I need to do whatever possible to keep us in the sky. Charles out."

Keep the ship steady and try to stop losing altitude, while continuing to signal the ship."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2012, 03:18:14 am »

((Bump, need your posts, Nirur and Riccto ^^))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2012, 05:18:02 am »

Dislodge the steamplane if it's attached, otherwise begin trying to get the automaton overboard.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2012, 06:08:11 pm »

Why would you toss the automaton? Free scrap and weaponry. Plus one of our non combatants could operate it.

Interrogate our new prisoner. Try to prevent the automaton from being tossed
Raggle Fraggle

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 14:
October 13th, 1888
Twelve forty one AM

Gerald catches his breath and goes back on the top deck, and walks the perimeter of the ship. Just below the rear of the ship, he can see the tail of the steamplane rocking in the wind. It's hanging from the ship, connected by thick metal cables to various points on the Thunderchild. There's three points that he can see, and maybe more below. The first connection point is where a grappling dart has been shot through the hull and pierced the deck. There's a barb attached with a bolt to a steel cables approximately as thick as a finger. It's definitely too thick to cut. Gerald takes his saber, and chops up the remainder of the splinters of the decking so he can get the dart out of the hull. He takes the dart in his hand and tosses it in to the sky below. That's one down. At least two more. And those are below decks.

Harker tries to interrogate the new prisoner, but unfortunately the controller is still unconscious. He goes outside and tries to power down the automaton, but is greeted with a snarl of wires. There's two valves sticking out the back, one painted orange, and one painted blue. There's no identifying marks anywhere else, and repairing the controller is going to take a while.

Lyliss leaves the infirmary and heads down to the third level, where there are passageways that lead to the engines. She opens a small door and squeezes into the space between the outer hull and the inner walls. It's incredibly dark in this space, but she knows the ship well enough to use her hand to count the wooden support beams as she passes them.

At the count of ten beams, she places her palm on the side of the vessel until she feels a cold steel panel. The engine access panel. She opens the door slowly and feels a rush of frigid night air fill the crawl space. Outside she can make out the form of the engine on a metal spar, with only a narrow strip of metal to walk on to get out there. It's difficult while the ship is parked, and usually she approaches it from below while on scaffolding. But it's stopped and there's the telltale smell of burnt oil - an oil line must have been knocked off and now the crankshaft is locked up. She clutches her heavy monkey wrench and considers her next move.

Wesley starts examining Adrienne. There's blood pouring out of a chest wound - at first he believes it is a shot to the heart but instead it is just very close. It's possible to save her, but it's going to take some serious work, and he worries that he may not be able to do it alone. He starts by stripping away the garments around the wound. Next, he beings trying to clean off all the blood he can so he can see if there's a bullet lodged in there.

Wesley rolls up his sleeves, leaving bloody handprints all over them.

Adrienne continues to drift in and out of consciousness.

Charles continues to signal the ship, and looks out of his spyglass occasionally. At the current rate, the other ship may make it by the time the Thunderchild is below 500 meters. It will be cutting it awfully close.. and the other ship is going to have to work quickly to get mooring lines to the Thunderchild to help hold it aloft. 

<< You can continue your actions or change >>

Player Status :
Spoiler: Charles(Doomblade187) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyliss(Skyrunner) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gerald(Nirur Torir) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harker(Riccto) (click to show/hide)
Airship
Spoiler: available stations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Airship Stats (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 14)
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2012, 07:51:18 pm »

Action: Do not go gentle into that good night

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: The HMS Thunderchild : A Steampunk Airship game! (Turn 14)
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2012, 09:02:22 pm »

"Okay, so it appears that the steamplane is still on the ship. Scratch getting the automaton off for the time being- we can take care of that later, as long as we get the steamplane off. Lyliss, if there anything wrong with the engine?"

Continue as before.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14