Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions from a completely useless leader of dwarfs  (Read 970 times)

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
A few questions from a completely useless leader of dwarfs
« on: April 10, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »

Hello everyone, I want to play a game. Not really I want to ask questions, I will list them with numbers because my OCD forces me to keep everything organized. Also I have no idea about anything in dwarf mode so please do not be shocked if these questions are stupid:
1. How do I make artifacts or things that are really cool?
2. How do I make weapons?
3. How do I get seeds?
3. Can I make weapons from ice or other stupid materials?
4. How do I make picks?
Thank you in advance to all of you, even those who do not offer advice. Except you heartless elf lover.
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions from a completely useless leader of dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 03:31:39 pm »

Hello everyone, I want to play a game. Not really I want to ask questions, I will list them with numbers because my OCD forces me to keep everything organized. Also I have no idea about anything in dwarf mode so please do not be shocked if these questions are stupid:
1. How do I make artifacts or things that are really cool?
2. How do I make weapons?
3. How do I get seeds?
4. How do I make picks?
Thank you in advance to all of you, even those who do not offer advice. Except you heartless elf lover.

1.  Dwarves get strange moods and make artifacts, they'll require a workshop which is going to depnd on what sort of skill they are working on, and materials, if they get them they make an artifact, if not they go nuts.

2. most are made in a forge, bows are made in a bowyers shop

3. you get seeds from plants, you can buy them when you embark or collect them with herbalism, if ou collect them aboveground you will need above ground farms to plant them in.

4.  in a forge

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 03:35:41 pm »

1) artifacts happen automatically, via strange moods.

2) weapons are made at a forge. (Either magma or coal fired) requires metal bars. Metal bars are made at a smelter. (Ether magma or coal fired.)

3) seeds are collected by "gathering plants" in the (d)esgination menu.

4) you can't make weapons from ice outside of a mood.

5) picks are made at forges, same as weapons.

Friendly tip: consume the wiki. It is delicious.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 03:38:30 pm »

1. You can force the materials used in artifacts with burrows.  This can enhance coolness.

3.  Eat raw plant -> seeds.  Brew plant -> seeds  Mill plant -> seeds.  Embark with seeds and/or collect plants from the surface, or breach caverns and collect plants that grow underground.  bring plants from embark or buy them from caravans.

3.  you can make crossbones from bone and training swords from wood.  is that stupid?  you can also buy wooden (real) swords from the elves, they suck less than training swords for killing.   Lol at needing to be organized but misnumbering your list.  Dwarves in strange moods can make stuff from stupid materials (although for weapons it will be some kind of metal or bone).  See item one.  I have never heard of ice being usable for moods.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:45:52 pm »

1. You can force the materials used in artifacts with burrows.  This can enhance coolness.

3.  Eat raw plant -> seeds.  Brew plant -> seeds  Mill plant -> seeds.  Embark with seeds and/or collect plants from the surface, or breach caverns and collect plants that grow underground.  bring plants from embark or buy them from caravans.

3.  you can make crossbones from bone and training swords from wood.  is that stupid?  you can also buy wooden (real) swords from the elves, they suck less than training swords for killing.   Lol at needing to be organized but misnumbering your list.  Dwarves in strange moods can make stuff from stupid materials (although for weapons it will be some kind of metal or bone).  See item one.  I have never heard of ice being usable for moods.
Congratulations, you noticed my purposeful, non-accidental number thing. Also muchas gracias to everyone for the help, I appreciate it on a level of so much appreciation you could never understand it.
P.S. Don't try to understand it as temporary effects such as permanent blindness or death may occur. You have been warned
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 04:13:12 pm »

you pretty much have to start of with a pick, or the stuff to make a forge and make picks, or you'll be sitting above ground making wood or clay crafts to buy one from the first caravan to arrive.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 05:18:55 pm »

There are conditions for the artifact moods to occur:
1) You need at least 20 elligible dwarves, which means:
--a) They can grasp (so armless cripples are disqualified)
--b) They haven't made an artifact before
2) The number of artifacts you can have in a fort is determined by how many tiles you've dug out

If you satisfy the above criteria, then there is some random chance every few moments for a mood to strike. Therefore if you're unlucky you may have to wait quite a long time to get the mood. You WILL know when you get it though.

Mind, artifacts aren't the only way to make 'really cool things'. You can make them manually by understanding and manipulating (with burrows or an old-fashioned isolation room) dwarf AI when it comes to decorating things. The wiki article for gem setting should be a good place to start reading on this. Bonecrafters and metalcrafters are the next most common decorating options. Sewing if it's a textile item.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 05:22:42 pm »

I've got mechanisms installed in weapon traps that are encrusted with images in goblin bone about dying goblins from weapon traps.... Mwhahahahaha
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 06:54:23 pm »

Ice isn't stupid D:

Still, you can build walls and floors out of them on cold climates/temperate climates during winter, and you can make workshops with ice on really freezing climates, commonly found in glaciers.