Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Showing layers on embark?  (Read 1078 times)

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Showing layers on embark?
« on: April 10, 2012, 03:13:48 pm »

I was reading the Skyscrapes succession fort thread, and about fell out of my chair when I saw this post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53814.msg1157135#msg1157135

How did they get the embark screen to show all that layer detail?  I usually want to have sand in my embark area, and often have to re-embark a few times before I actually get some (provided I'm not embarking in a desert...).  I searched around a bit but I wasn't able to find anything about turning that on.  Is it a mod?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Showing layers on embark?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 03:24:52 pm »

I think that's from an old version that used to show all the layers, back in 2010.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 03:27:46 pm »

Yeah, the last version to show all the layers on embark was 31.18. Obscuring the available layers occurred in 31.19, along with mineral scarcity and grazing.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 03:40:55 pm »

Ah okay, the first version I played was 31.25, so that explains why I'd never seen it like that.  Oh well, I'll keep doing it the old fashioned way.

I do find it interesting that you can search for clay but not sand?  Maybe it's just my play style, but they're both functionally similar (infinite gathering from a single square, glass/pottery industry, etc).  I wonder why clay won out.

EDIT: I suppose it's because you can pretty much guarantee yourself sand by playing near an ocean.  But then you always have to deal with salt water!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:43:14 pm by Canisaur »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:17:08 pm »

Use DFHack.  If you use "prospect" before embarking, it will show roughly what layers are there.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 05:39:10 pm »

I'm guessing the change is hardcoded? I would really like to see it back how it was (by modding or otherwise).