Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 4 Thousand Kills - When Vampires lives for too long.  (Read 5570 times)

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
4 Thousand Kills - When Vampires lives for too long.
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:01:33 pm »

Messing around in adventurer mode:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What?!
4168?!
Legends mode kinda confirms it but I think its "just from feeding".

I'm not,by any means, a veteran dwarf.Has anyone got that amount of kills or higher?
Lurked the forums for some time and read about Cacame and Tholtig Cryptbrain.
But 4168 isnt a bit too much?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Thousand Kills - When Vampires lives for too long.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:06:26 pm »

How many kills a vampire can pick up depends largely on how long you run world generation. Several other people have managed to get vampires into several thousand kills if the vampire formed a cult early on and then they ran a long world gen period.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:09:22 pm »

Oh yes a cult.

That particular vampire was born at 712 and I was genning a 1050 world.
Then...in 340 years she managed to kill 4000.

Anyone have a pic with a vampire genned at the beggining of a world and its kills?

Azhtabak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 03:43:15 pm »

I have a 9000 year old vampire king at the moment with 18097 kills, which is actually quite bad going for how long he's been alive, given that another one managed to amass 919 in only 20 years. More interestingly, I also have a 9500 year vampire queen with _no_ kills. Getting vampires with obscene kill lists is actually pretty straightforward if you generate a long history; if one makes it to king, they can't be removed even when they're discovered unless a megabeast comes along and eats them, so they'll just sit there amassing kills. Generals flee like other vampires once they're discovered though.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:56:37 pm »

I have a 9000 year old vampire king

Seriously?! How did you get the generator to run that long without crashing (I'm guessing a pocket world?)
(world gen will always crash if  it exceeds the amount of ram DF can use)

Azhtabak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 04:04:05 pm »

10000 year history, maximum size world, max titans and megabeasts :D It's awesome, everything's dead and the world's full of vampires and necromancers. Trawling through legends mode is fantastic too; one of the dwarf civilisations had a general get turned into a night beast straight away on year 1. He fled, then lived in a cave nearby; a few thousand years later, he returned, tore the left arm off the aforementioned vampire, then kidnapped his wife. He's still alive now :) I really want to find his lair, just so I can see how much crap he's managed to pile up in it.

An interesting side effect of huge world histories is that pretty much all the megabeasts/titans that manage to survive install themselves as gods; my current civilisation worships like a hundred dragons or something.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 04:39:52 pm »

10000 year history, maximum size world, max titans and megabeasts :D It's awesome, everything's dead and the world's full of vampires and necromancers. Trawling through legends mode is fantastic too; one of the dwarf civilisations had a general get turned into a night beast straight away on year 1. He fled, then lived in a cave nearby; a few thousand years later, he returned, tore the left arm off the aforementioned vampire, then kidnapped his wife. He's still alive now :) I really want to find his lair, just so I can see how much crap he's managed to pile up in it.

An interesting side effect of huge world histories is that pretty much all the megabeasts/titans that manage to survive install themselves as gods; my current civilisation worships like a hundred dragons or something.

Surely this is impossible?
Dwarf Fortress will only use I think 2GB of RAM by default, 4GB with the large address aware patch, there is no way a max size world could run 10,000 years and not hit that.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 04:48:42 pm »

Ye, I have my doubts as well.
Be awesome if it were true though.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 05:24:29 pm »

"Human: Here, take my blood.
Vampire: Oh sure why not?
*kills*
Vampire: Next!"

The sheer amount of kills is...obscene.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 08:31:03 pm »

"Human: Here, take my blood.
Vampire: Oh sure why not?
*kills*
Vampire: Next!"

The sheer amount of kills is...obscene.
Its funny, realy: only so mony people take the words "Blood for the Blood God" by heart.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Azhtabak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:12:11 pm »

Pic, for those who were wondering about my 9000-year one. Spoilered for size of image.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 01:08:24 pm »

Surely this is impossible?
Dwarf Fortress will only use I think 2GB of RAM by default, 4GB with the large address aware patch, there is no way a max size world could run 10,000 years and not hit that.

Things are greatly simplified when the civilizations die out. Start a world with max of every kind of beast and cave and few civs, and world gen will move at a rapid pace and probably won't use alot of memory. I personally like to have civs left though...
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 01:16:37 pm »

9000-year old vampire
Huh.
9000 years and 18000 or so kills...

I suppose the vampire was on a diet, or something, because I could swear they eat more than twice a year...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Azhtabak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 01:33:12 pm »

Yeah; I've seen a lot of variation in that respect. I've also got an even older vampire who's never killed anybody. I'm wondering if it perhaps depends on the population of their civ, but this is a difficult topic to perform science on, outside of just generating loads and loads of world and scanning for vampires.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 01:57:06 pm »

I generally see a rate closer to 6 per year, and sometimes having peaks of 12 per year.  I think they can't take actions more than once per month, unless there is something like a war where they just keep acting until everyone on one side or another is dead, but Toady may have limited the number of night creature actions in general in order to preserve framerate after 34.01 caused so many problems following around 200 years of worldgen, and I know he nerfed werecritter disease spread rates to put some sort of cap on them so they don't zombie apocalypse the whole world with werecritters. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2