Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Speed-up  (Read 6616 times)

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Speed-up
« on: April 10, 2012, 10:56:21 am »

hello, i have mined a huge fortress and my miner is taking quite a long time to build it, now, please, if you do not have an answer, do not reply, i do not like those people who keep saying i have no patience.
if you have an answer, you are free to post.
if you do not have an answer, posting will be a waste of time.
how do i speed up the mining?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Speed-up
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:58:01 am »

dfhack

fastdwarf 1

fastdwarf 0 to make them move normal again

Note that this will take a chunk out of your fps, so it does speed it up, but not indefinately and if it gets too hard on your computer can crash the game.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:59:32 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:00:35 am »

Get more miners and get higher skilled miners.

And don't act like you can tell the forum what to do.  We have ways of dealing with people who try to tell us that we can't cut down more trees to fuel our metal industry MAGMAAA!

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:01:34 am »

you should be more patient.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 11:02:45 am »

hello, i have mined a huge fortress and my miner is taking quite a long time to build it, now, please, if you do not have an answer, do not reply, i do not like those people who keep saying i have no patience.
if you have an answer, you are free to post.
if you do not have an answer, posting will be a waste of time.
how do i speed up the mining?
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 11:22:56 am »

The valid answers really are:

Get more miners
Use more skilled miners
Cheat
Wait
Through pain, I find wisdom.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 11:23:42 am »

Dear Urist McDonald

You may be surprised to learn that other forum participants are not AI computer program designed to answer your questions, but in fact other human beings who have feelings and desires just like you do. We are not employees of Bay 12 Games who are paid to provide tech support. We are also free human beings, not slaves. You can attempt to order us around, but the results will not be to your liking. 

Posts that you consider to be irrelevant or a "waste of time" are not either of those things. Oh, they may be irrelevant and a waste of time for you, but we are not here to serve you. We are here for our own reasons. For instance, one of the (minor) reasons I come here is to mock and belittle anti social idiots in ways that are too complicated for their tiny minds to comprehend.

For your edification, here is the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
   2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
   3. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
   4. Requires excessive admiration
   5. Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
   6. Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
   7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
   8. Is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
   9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Isn't that interesting? But the truly terrible thing about NPD is, it makes it almost impossible for a person to admit they suffer from NPD.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 11:31:46 am »

I'm going to attempt to be helpful rather than sarcastic (really, you shouldn't have added that "patient" bit in there, that was kind of asking for it).

Assign dwarves with higher agility to mining jobs, preferably. In DF, Agility = speed in most tasks, including mining. Also, you say you have only one miner - by the time I have a moderately sized fort, I have four. Depending on what I'm doing, I may draft up to 8, and undraft some later on.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:41:47 am »

use more miners
use stronger/faster miners
use miners with higher skill
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 11:45:18 am »

GhostDwemer, despite the somewhat clumsy approach of the OP, I don't think your reply was quite in spirit with the forum guidelines:

Do not pick a fight or insult another poster.  Do not continue a fight if you feel you have been insulted.  Report it to the moderator.  If you instead respond in kind, you run the risk of being considered part of the problem.

In particular:

For instance, one of the (minor) reasons I come here is to mock and belittle anti social idiots in ways that are too complicated for their tiny minds to comprehend.

This is not what this forum is for.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 12:09:34 pm »

Use more miners.
Use better miners.
Cheat.
Or increase the FPS cap so everything happens faster.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Jalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 12:21:39 pm »

Does channeling increase the speed at which you can mine through stuff. I assume it means you can mine 2 spots at once, but does it actually take less time to channel 2 tiles than to mine 1?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 12:49:06 pm »

I usually watch a movie or do something else while I play. This game WILL take time.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 01:40:09 pm »

I write in the forums. Or read a book. Or both.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 01:41:57 pm »

Pages: [1] 2