Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not tracking items in some constructions  (Read 793 times)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not tracking items in some constructions
« on: April 09, 2012, 06:06:07 pm »

This is just a minor issue.

I'm not sure how much of an effect this has on actual game performance, but I've been very annoyed while working on a megaproject recently by how DF keeps track of every stone in every construction individually and lists all stones together in the stock menu. It makes determining how much of a particular kind of stone you have left next to impossible, and makes searching through stocks much slower in general. Obviously storing this information is useful in some cases, such as seeing what to create when a bridge made from two chunks of obsidian and an iron bar is deconstructed, but it seems to me that for many kinds of constructions, there is no need to track the contents at all, especially walls and floors and such, as, for example, deconstructing a single rough granite floor tile will always produce a chunk of granite anyway. This would cut down on the number of things which would take up space in the stocks screen, and possibly improve performance slightly as a significant number of items would no longer need to be tracked.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not tracking items in some constructions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:30:24 pm »

I have been having this problem as well with my cloth and thread stockpiles.  Even though I have made the clothes, the stockpile screen still tracks them and gives a faulty value of how much materials I have on hand.
I play games of games inside games in my head.