Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A disturbing trend  (Read 5354 times)

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
A disturbing trend
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:33:59 pm »

Babies. We're entering year three of our fort (We are using the royal plural, today, for some reason), and we have well over two dozen babies. Did The Toady One increase dwarves' reproduction rate? We may have missed that announcement.

This leads us to our second question: how do you all deal with the "clothing madness" problem? We have had two kids go bonkers because we could not produce enough clothes to keep them from being embarassed to the point of insanity. Is there a way to assign owned objects?

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A disturbing trend
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:38:21 pm »

I know they say two wrongs don't make a right - but in this case...

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:41:36 pm »

Well if youre using 34.07 (latest version) children will not get unhappy thoughts from nudity

(*) Removed negative clothing thoughts for children

There have been so many threads about the clothing problems as well, just make some mechanisms and trade for cloth/leather or farm some pigtail fibers.. also just to answer your next question all you need is SHIRT TROUSERS SHOES for dorfs to be happy with their clothes
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:42:21 pm »

Babies? Specifically, babies not children? Well, the answer is the same either way: historical migrants bring their families. That means just about every migrant is a married couple, i.e. baby factories.

You want an alternate solution to the obvious one? Delete the [Baby] and [Child] tags in the raws so all dwarves are considered working adults from the moment they are born.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:15:20 pm »

Clothing is easy. Make a pig tail farm, a farmer workshop, two looms, and a clothing shop.

Put the farmer workshop on process plants and the clothing shop to make shirts, pants, and shoes on repeat so it will cycle through those items of clothing endlessly.

Then just ignore the clothing industry. It will self maintain from there.

As a bonus, this will also produce you some outstanding export goods. You should get a lot of legendary weavers and tailors who can produce extremely valuable clothing. Since you're continually producing it, feel free to export everything you have. There's no need to hold back on the exporting of clothing.

Eventually everyone will be wearing only masterwork clothes. Unknown if it gives them a happy thought, but it certainly gives me a happy thought. Stylin' dorfs!

dhoovr

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:44:25 pm »

I have the same problem. I keep getting spammed every two seconds by a birth and the next two by a beserking child. Luckily I've found tantruming children to be the perfect force to put down beserking children.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:47:31 pm »

Wow, I literally JUST hit year three, now at about 30 babies. Like, halfway through spring babies started popping out... figured it just takes 3 years for dwarves to make relationships.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 06:48:13 pm »

Not much else besides a bridgeapult would be able to.  Children are way OP.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 06:49:02 pm »

You want an alternate solution to the obvious one? Delete the [Baby] and [Child] tags in the raws so all dwarves are considered working adults from the moment they are born.

Wont this stop dwarven breeding altogether? creatures without [CHILD] tags don't have children. Does [CHILD:0] work though?
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 07:30:49 pm »

Dwarfs always bred at the same rate, difference is now more of them are arriving married, which normally took around a year or so of socializing

Tautou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 07:36:04 pm »

Dwarfs always bred at the same rate, difference is now more of them are arriving married, which normally took around a year or so of socializing
Obviously the dwarven nuclear family needs to be dissolved.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 08:11:34 pm »

This is why I set my child cap to 25:25. No more than 25 kids max, and more importantly, no more than 25% of the adult population. The 25% cap tends to make births more spaced out.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 09:53:17 pm »

Well if youre using 34.07 (latest version) children will not get unhappy thoughts from nudity

(*) Removed negative clothing thoughts for children

Well, we have the newest version, and this is still happening. We blame the parents; they fill their children's heads with these ridiculous ideas about "clothing" and "shame." It is probably time for the old stand-by: magma.

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 10:09:30 pm »

Clothing is easy. Make a pig tail farm, a farmer workshop, two looms, and a clothing shop.

Put the farmer workshop on process plants and the clothing shop to make shirts, pants, and shoes on repeat so it will cycle through those items of clothing endlessly.

Then just ignore the clothing industry. It will self maintain from there.

As a bonus, this will also produce you some outstanding export goods. You should get a lot of legendary weavers and tailors who can produce extremely valuable clothing. Since you're continually producing it, feel free to export everything you have. There's no need to hold back on the exporting of clothing.

Eventually everyone will be wearing only masterwork clothes. Unknown if it gives them a happy thought, but it certainly gives me a happy thought. Stylin' dorfs!

That's what I've been doing... plus buying tamed Giant Cave Spiders from the caravan and using them as immobile Giant Spider Turrets placed all around the battlefield that shoot down flying furries and soak incoming sieges with silk, and then once everything is dead, the Weavers come in and make clothes out of all the webs.

It's practically cheating.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 03:25:07 am »

d_init and change the % and number of children
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2