Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 95

Author Topic: Battlemaster a Roleplay medieval low fantasy game  (Read 165663 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Battlemaster a Roleplay medieval low fantasy game
« Reply #1230 on: May 13, 2013, 03:16:16 pm »

Who was it here who vigorously denounced my belief that Terran would ever become an SA theocracy at the hands of Hireshmont II Vellos?

I'd like to talk to them now...
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 19, 2013, 08:37:41 pm »

Has anything interesting happened in LN recently? I'll probably have time to start playing again in a week or two.

It's a game. Have fun.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 20, 2013, 09:20:18 am »

Good to have you back.  We're still in a rebuilding mode after we realized the pointlessness of helping our "allies" gangbang Falkirk.  Sevastian Guile quit, so Queen Alice is trying to figure out what to to with Swordfell.  A D'Haran challenged the Queen to a fight-to-the-death, which she won.  Winter is coming, after which we'll probably go to war with somebody again.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 20, 2013, 11:49:44 am »

Winter is coming, after which we'll probably go to war with somebody again.

Hah, winter is always coming... never enough food to go around, what with the droughts ravaging half of Asylon's breadbaskets on a constant basis lately.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 21, 2013, 06:09:33 pm »

Bad news: My adventurer bit the dust.

Good news: No excuse not to make another noble now.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 21, 2013, 07:32:15 pm »

Huh, I tried this a while ago (when this thread was first posted, I think), but was really confused and stopped after a day or so. Might try it again now that there is a bigger following. Are there any sort of beginner guides or something?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

danaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 22, 2013, 08:19:27 am »

Huh, I tried this a while ago (when this thread was first posted, I think), but was really confused and stopped after a day or so. Might try it again now that there is a bigger following. Are there any sort of beginner guides or something?

There are, but I'm afraid they're woefully out of date (as, unfortunately, are significant chunks of the Wiki. We're working on it, but there's only so many of us :-\ ).

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, both as a longtime player and as a member of the dev team, and I can give you some general advice off the bat:

• There are a lot of realms in BattleMaster, and there is a great deal of variability between them. If you find yourself in one that's not to your taste, chances are, you can find one that is.
  • For people more used to other kinds of modern games, BattleMaster is pretty slow. Travel, combat, and other things that only take place at turn changes happen only twice a day (dawn and sunset in Central European time, which works out to noon and midnight US Eastern time). If you post a message asking a question, there's a good chance you won't see a response for several hours. Not because people are ignoring you, but because that's how often people check.
  • Each player plays a family of characters, with a limit on how many can be active at one time. You start with a limit of two noble characters and one adventurer (commoner) character. This limit can be raised by various actions, but most of these boil down to playing for a while, and playing well (and at least a little ambitiously!).
  • At its core, if you want to do more than just follow orders and participate in battles and the occasional roleplay (which is just fine to do; we need people like that, too!), BattleMaster is a game of politics and intrigue. Knowing the right people can get you a long way in a short time.
  • Given the current state of the game, unless you start in one of the few realms that is well-stocked with characters, if you're attentive and seems sensible, you've got a very good chance of being given a regional lordship of your own within a few weeks. (Even if you don't know the right people.)
  • There is a BattleMaster forum, a Wiki (though, as I said, some of it is out of date), and a number of (fully OOC) IRC channels (with a webchat client that will, once you have an account, automatically log you in with your family name and join you to the channels pertinent to the realms you are in). Participating in these, if such things interest you, can significantly increase your enjoyment of the game, simply by connecting you to the community.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 22, 2013, 02:22:06 pm »

Bad news: My adventurer bit the dust.

Good news: No excuse not to make another noble now.

And please welcome Julian Sarwell to Strombran in Atamara.

Hopefully I didn't make another bad decision regarding where to put him...

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: May 23, 2013, 07:21:02 am »

I've got a noble and an adventurer in Atamara and a noble on the East Continent. The Easty apparently joined a realm in the middle of a war, which wasn't great. Sadly if I delete him I lose the gold the family sent to help him out. So I figure I'll stick around and see what's what. Can my noble interact with my adventurer at all?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 23, 2013, 07:33:52 am »

Yes, your noble could interact with your adventurer.

And you don't necessarily have to delete your noble, you can easily emigrate or join a realm somewhere else on the continent.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

danaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: May 23, 2013, 09:30:18 am »

I've got a noble and an adventurer in Atamara and a noble on the East Continent. The Easty apparently joined a realm in the middle of a war, which wasn't great. Sadly if I delete him I lose the gold the family sent to help him out. So I figure I'll stick around and see what's what. Can my noble interact with my adventurer at all?

Why is it bad being in a realm at war?

That's most of the action you're likely to get in BattleMaster, as well as the best chances for distinguishing yourself and getting promotions and such.

And yes, nobles can interact with adventurers, but there are limits on what you can do between characters of the same family (though I don't offhand recall what all of those limits are).

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 23, 2013, 10:06:18 am »

How hard would it be to start playing BM for the first time considering I've played M&F religiously during the alpha ?

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 23, 2013, 10:09:14 am »

Why is it bad being in a realm at war?

That's most of the action you're likely to get in BattleMaster, as well as the best chances for distinguishing yourself and getting promotions and such.

And yes, nobles can interact with adventurers, but there are limits on what you can do between characters of the same family (though I don't offhand recall what all of those limits are).

Yeah but its hard since you have no idea what's going on and aren't very powerful. The guy I'm in the war with isn't as good and has no estate and limited paraphernalia and a weak untrained army.

danaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 23, 2013, 10:12:51 am »

How hard would it be to start playing BM for the first time considering I've played M&F religiously during the alpha ?

Easier, I suspect, than coming in cold. You'll at least have some of the basic concepts of time-usage and turn-change-resolution down. The concepts are quite similar, in many ways, but M&F breaks it down to a much finer level of granularity. It also allows a lot more player freedom than BattleMaster, for better or for worse.

If you've enjoyed M&F, I suspect you'll probably enjoy BM, and not have as much of a learning curve as if you hadn't played M&F.

danaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 23, 2013, 10:14:41 am »

Yeah but its hard since you have no idea what's going on and aren't very powerful. The guy I'm in the war with isn't as good and has no estate and limited paraphernalia and a weak untrained army.

Yeah, that does make it harder.

Unless the realm you're in is losing the war badly enough that it's significantly shrunken, you should be able to find yourself an estate if you poke around. Looking at the Realm Hierarchy page to see which regions have no knights (or, if all have at least 1 knight, which have especially high ratios of peasants per noble) should give you an idea of whom you should contact about an estate.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 95