Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Challenge  (Read 3426 times)

SorrowsBlade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Challenge
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:25:11 pm »

I've been thinking about the time I've been playing Dwarf Fortress and I have done well in my recent fortresses after I achieved getting over the massive learning curve of this amazing game. One thing that came to mind for me was that I wondered how much fun it would be to receive a challenge by another player, for example: To build a successful fortress outside without digging into the ground, Or something like living in an area with sinister wilds or on a glacier. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm asking for you guys on the forum to issue me a challenge that would be able to be accomplished but be rather difficult and/or time consuming. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:36:22 pm »

Embark on a map with no metal ores or trees, and import no ores/metals. Build a fort without the use of any traps not made with pressure plates or levers involved >:p

SorrowsBlade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 03:54:31 pm »

Sounds like a challenge, finding a nice empty place to embark, Hope my dwarves are are ready for this, I'll need to find something valuable enough to trade for wood and metals. My military is going to be composed of mostly wrestlers in leather armor at the start ;)

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 04:00:20 pm »

Why not make any wooden crossbows with wooden bolts? At least then you will be able to camp on the top of your walls!

EDIT: Ooooh, no wood either. How about bone, then?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:47:06 pm by Orky_Boss »
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

SorrowsBlade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 04:32:03 pm »

Alrighty, I've done some searching and found this nice little place that I think I'm going to embark to ;)
I'm using Phoebus 0.34.07v00 graphics.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:04:34 pm »

Grow everything outside.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SorrowsBlade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 05:21:42 pm »

Ok, so I'm making my farms outside, this is going to be hard because I'm on a mountain and there isn't much space on the ledges >.>

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 07:28:49 pm »

Make loads of small plots, and you can wall over bits of the outdoors to grow subterranean crops

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:54:15 pm »

Never dig anything considered "inside". As in, channeling will be your friend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 08:55:26 pm »

Ok, so I'm making my farms outside, this is going to be hard because I'm on a mountain and there isn't much space on the ledges >.>

Try channelling out an area next to a pool, then emptying said pool into the area.

Ignore what the guy above me said; create a path from surface to caverns not neccisarily through your fort), and NEVER guard it with ANYTHING.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 10:06:16 pm »

Ignore what the guy above me said; create a path from surface to caverns not neccisarily through your fort), and NEVER guard it with ANYTHING.

Ze humble quarry...

SorrowsBlade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 03:13:25 pm »

Never dig anything considered "inside". As in, channeling will be your friend.

I'd accept that to the list of my challenges but I've already dug inside although I did channel out some area, also I'll upload some pics of the fort and how it's going, I have not yet received any migrant waves *sniffle* but the fortress is designed to be dug out finally and I have an idea on what to do with my farms as irrigation by pipes go i'll have to wait until I can trade someone for some metal/ore since I embarked in a baron area ;)

[Edit] - By the way nice above ground fortress's you have there Loud Whispers. :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:20:58 pm by SorrowsBlade »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 03:39:53 pm »

check the challenges page on the wiki.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

SorrowsBlade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 04:51:39 pm »

check the challenges page on the wiki.

Thanks, never knew there was a challenge page on the wiki hehe ;)