Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: transformational syndrome  (Read 1339 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
transformational syndrome
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:54:44 pm »

So from what I understand syndromes can now transform people into things, ala the bite of a were creature.  Can this be modded into blood, so that after something is killed its blood will turn dwarves (and other things) into it?  I haven't played with modding syndromes before so I'm not sure where to start to make this happen.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: transformational syndrome
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:49:59 pm »

Yes, it's possible, I suggest you begin to look through the interaction examples for werecreatures to see the exact way that they're transformed. From there you'll be have to copy the syndrome that makes a creature transform to the local material definition of blood in your creature.
You'll also need to fiddle with a few things:
Firstly you should make a new syndrome class so your own creature or any other relevant ones are immune.
You will also have to consider that this could happen the moment they get the tiniest bit of blood on them, and as a result it's likely you may see the original transformed creature suddenly fighting a load of other transformed enemies.
You could prevent this fighting by using tags to make them all "undead" and therefore neutral to eachother, but this would also cause them to ignore zombies, necromancers, vampires, etc.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 03:56:37 pm »

I don't have a problem with them fighting one another, although I did want to make the transformation delayed so that things with blood on them didn't transform immediately.

How do I make a new syndrome class?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:58:08 pm by Babylon »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 04:04:15 pm »

Check the werebeasts. Delayed syndromes are made by putting a time value after START.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 04:42:44 pm »

Most creatures have [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON], and the syndrome can have an affected class. So if you make your creature a different class you can make it not affect them. You can also make it not affect individual creatures and castes, IIRC... but I'm not sure about that.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:01:56 pm »

I made this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's based on rabbits.  I have the start on the syndrome set really short so I can test the effects.  Currently in the arena it seems to turn dwarves into toads.  Anyone know why this would be?  I want it to turn them into dust bunnies.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:39:38 pm »

Toads are the first creature in the raws, so when the game is confused it sets the creature to them. You probably left something out about what critter they turn into.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:05:46 am »

dont know if it means anything but you have {GOOD] insted of [GOOD]
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 05:03:06 pm »

Thanks fishy.

I figured out why toads.  I made them DEFAULT when apparently I have to pick a caste, so now they turn into female dustbunnies.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 05:21:41 pm »

Thanks fishy.

I figured out why toads.  I made them DEFAULT when apparently I have to pick a caste, so now they turn into female dustbunnies.

Oh, that has to suck. You turn into a bunny, then it turns out you're made of dust and your 'dwarven hammer' is missing.

*studies modding powers revealed in this thread*
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 03:44:20 pm »

So I tried to update this to use in the current version.  I changed a few things, removed the grazer tag and made my dustbunnies the size of turkeys, because they weren't getting blood on stuff otherwise.  However they are all suffocating, does anyone know why this would happen?  Here are the raws I am using.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 03:58:18 pm »

Is your errorlog.txt saying anything?

Also for future reference your raws are much more readable if you use ['code]['/code] tags (without the ' of course). Then they will look exactly like they do in the raws instead of us getting weird things like this:

[BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GU

TS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:4TOES_FQ_REG:

5TOES_RQ_REG:MOUTH:TONGUE:RODENT_TEETH:RIBCAGE]

Which is incredibly difficult to read due to the weird line breaks.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 04:42:57 pm »

The errorlog doesn't say anything.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 04:44:53 pm »

It was those breaks in the data.  I took those out and now it works fine.