Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quintessence: The Blighted Venom [Free]  (Read 2294 times)

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
Quintessence: The Blighted Venom [Free]
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:27:48 pm »

A game from Freebird Games; a group of Indie developers, who make RPGs.

[Site rip]

An on-going series; the first project of Freebird Games.
Offering a full-scale fantasy adventure accompanied by an award-winning original soundtrack, Quintessence aims to achieve a unique outlook on 2D RPGs via a primary focus on the execution of story-telling and presentation.

Overview

Type or genre(s):
RPG, Drama, Fantasy, Adventure
Content:
Chapters 1 – 11
Platform:
Windows (PC)
File size:
~100mb
Download:
Click here
Unlike more traditional RPGs, <Quintessence: The Blighted Venom> has a primary focus on story-telling and atmosphere, delivering a unique experience as a narrative-driven “interactive show.”

[This part refers more to the 2009 version, which was a PoS]

A note from Kan: “This was my first project, and the pacing and writing were somewhat… ahem, meh. Proceed with caution and lots of salt.”

[Own content]

Q:TBV is a game about love; of hate. Of fear, of anger. Of emotion. I would go deeper and deeper, but the plot must remain unspoiled; otherwise it will not mean as much. Learning the plot rather than having it told to you by an outside source removes the beauty of learning it.

Meanwhile, the gameplay itself is quite scarce. What is there is enough to make you continue playing the game, if the plot, which is the best plot I have ever seen, does not do it. The gameplay involves real-time top-down combat, puzzles, and simply exploring.

The plot, however, can be summed up in a way that won't harm your experiencing of it: Love; both motherly and romantic. A mysterious venom that gives you great power, but shortens your life. Dark secrets. Regrets.

You will begin to care about the characters. You will be sad when they kick the bucket, or even get hurt. You will feel like the plot is real.

Due to the amount of spoilers this game will arise, do not use [ spoiler ] unless referring to a chapter that is on or after chapter 8. Otherwise this topic will be nothing -but- [ spoiler ]s all the time. If you have not made it up to chapter 8, we do not insure against spoiling your game for you from this policy, and recommend making it to chapter 8 before reading the posts below.

Note that the plot goes:
Ending of the first attempt at adventuring [which ends in time-travel] -> right before adventure -> adventuring -> alternate ending. [Kan Gao confirmed that it is not an infinite loop of "F*** TIME TRAVEL ME GODDESS LIKE BEING!"]

So, the prologue will be confusing. Don't quit because it is. After the prologue, it all starts making sense.

Also, if you hear "Drift" (ending theme), that means you beat an arc or important chapter, usually. It's over-used because all the Freebirdians <3 Laura Shigihara.

In conclusion: 'Naire is hot.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.