Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Murky pool flooding the world  (Read 606 times)

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Murky pool flooding the world
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:45:58 am »

A little while ago, my legendary woodcutter slipped into a murky pool and drowned. I sent my miner to try to dig out the level of the water, and retrieve the body, and when I opened the door, all of his possessions and his body floated on out as I expected. The murky pool is in a remote corner of my map on top of a mountain where I rarely ever look, so a few years pass without me giving any notice to that place, until I decide to dig out another room 1 z level underground and encounter some damp stone. When I look to see where the water is, I go up a z level and see a huge portion of the surface covered in murky pool water, and spreading fast.

What do I do to stop this? Is my fortress, a few z levels down from all this, doomed to drown in stagnant water from one murky pool?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Murky pool flooding the world
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:56:22 am »

Go to a rock layer, and smooth-fortify an edge block.  Then redirect the floodwater down through that exit-drain.  Hopefully if its made wide enough along the edge, one or two blocks larger than the entering flow, it'll outpace the flood, and you'll recover the topside.

Edit: Don't run it through any 1x1 diagonals, as that disables the pressure, and you WANT water pressure, to uncork the flooding.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:58:17 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.