Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for detailed Input/Output Custom Stockpiles for each Workshops  (Read 1006 times)

Caeous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hey guys,

I've started learning some time into Dwarf Fortress, but I'm having trouble remembering what settings I need to put for each stockpiles around my workshops. I was wondering if someone could create a detailed list of all of the custom stockpiles that I should be needing throughout my fortress life. Ideally in the format of Input/Outputs for each Workshops with detailed settings (what to enable and disable). Here's an example that is probably terribly wrong, but I hope you understand. Thanks guys, this will help me learn the game in a much easier/logical way.

Example:
Input - Food (Seeds)
Workshop - Farm Plot
Output - Food (Plants)

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile

I tend to make a big food stockpile and fill it with barrles, and share the finished goods stockpile with the wood stockpile.
In the grim darkness of DF, there can be only FUN

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i usually don't put an output for all plants next to the farm.  I'll put 3 outputs, one for millable plants (dye and flour), one for processable plants (pig tails, quary bushes), and one for brewables.  Although, these three areas are relatively close, they're separate rooms.  I also put stockpiles for bags/barrels/pots nearby as well.

As a rule, i make input stockpiles, but not output stockpiles.  Often you put alike workshops next to eachother, smelters next to forges, so it kind of doesn't matter there (input of one is output of the other, i do make stockpiles for bars here).  I also do furniture stockpiles near the mason shops, since furniture sits around for a long time and can go anywhere.  Block stockpiles near my building areas.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile

In your example, this is how I play:  I tend to keep animal extracts next to my farm+press room. 
Seeds go straight to the bar that has the stills. 

I am sorry I don't have a flowchart, for more custom stockpiles, one might be found on wiki.  Take care, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The way my stockpiles end up usually break down like this:

1. Seed stockpile only, right next to the farm
2. Plant only stockpile, right next to the still
3. All other food, massive room next to the dining room/kitchen
4. Wood, behind the wood burners and carpenter
5. Stone, behind the mason, mechanic, crafter
6. Bars/blocks, behind the smelters and forge
7. Cloth/thread, behind the clothier and loom
8. Weapons/armor/ammo, behind the barracks
9. Refuse, outside
10. Everything else in one general stockpile, centrally located

The way I usually end up organizing everything is around one central staircase, with workshops ending up clustered around the staircase and stockpiles behind them.