Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 4 - Haste makes waste. [Game over!]  (Read 107680 times)

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 4 - Haste makes waste. [Game over!]
« Reply #495 on: May 23, 2012, 11:17:10 pm »

You would have fallen for that lyncher claim if I had posted it later (as in minutes from day end), wouldn't you? I really wish I had been able to pull that off.
Not really. I mean, I may have believed you were a lyncher, but I would never have trusted you to give me the victory (and I said so in scumchat at the time). It wouldn't really have worked.

Also, nice to read in deadchat that you did indeed lynched Jack because of my reverse psychology message to Shakerag!  8-P Although I would have been happier had it worked on Shakerag as well.

and I still think this resolution is better than dragging out the mudslide with Imiknorris for another week. I don't think we could stomach it.
I doubt I'd be able to.
To stomach it? Yeah, it would have gotten too repetitive. I thought about it, but really between Jack flipping town, and uncertain night action results (as you said, 50% chance a kill on Shake would have failed, and 100% fail had I hit Hapah!), I'm convinced it would have been way too hard.

I stand by my choice of offing you instead, and I only wish Shake had been a survivor as I hoped. Oh well, can't win them all.

Also Hapah played an amazing first game.
That he did. That Brooch/?oDanger thing at the end was the crowning touch. And reading the spreadsheet, he had it since N1! He hid it quite well, and I'm glad we never tried to hit him.
Hapah: how did you get it?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:20:29 pm by Bookthras »
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 23, 2012, 11:22:31 pm »

I am inclined to run another, but I do want to tweak a few rules first.

Yeah, I agree. I also want another, but we should spend a few days on the rules thread first. There was also a bit of confusion as to order of actions and desirable results and whatnot, yes? I also think we could use a few new items, and I'm very curious as to the drop rates chances & distributions you used and which items were actually generated, and we should talk a bit about the common pool, and...

I roll a d100 to generate an item.  1-65 is common, 66-90 is uncommon, 91-99 is rare, and 100 is artifact.  The items in each rarity class all have an equal shot to come out- there's no weighting.

Everything else is food for the Roguelike discussion thread.

I agree- you all played well and I enjoyed watching Hapah- you really stood out as a newcomer.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 23, 2012, 11:24:24 pm »

The items in each rarity class all have an equal shot to come out- there's no weighting.
With the one exception, of course.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 23, 2012, 11:26:18 pm »

Okay, just read scumchat, I take back everything nice I said about Bookthras. 

Just kidding. 

But you were spot on about me being the most likely to forget about the scroll of self-defense. 

I agree- you all played well and I enjoyed watching Hapah- you really stood out as a newcomer.
I can only imagine what it must have been like for you to watch us D5.  And the whole scroll of danger/protect thing.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:23 pm »

8-P

Did you bang your toe on furniture? Please say yes.   ;-)
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 23, 2012, 11:37:02 pm »

The items in each rarity class all have an equal shot to come out- there's no weighting.

If you mean artifacts, then I just get lazy and reroll if it rolls one that's already pulled... but only one game has had two artifacts, anyway.  (And Ottofar got them both.  Lucky bastard.)

I can only imagine what it must have been like for you to watch us D5.  And the whole scroll of danger/protect thing.

Entertaining.  So many crazy theories, when it was just the simple one.  Also, I was already coming up with an endgame- I was shocked when the switch to Jack happened.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 23, 2012, 11:40:34 pm »

Reply time!

To all the people saying nice things: Glad I could meet expectations! ....but now I'll be a prime murder candidate N1, since I won't get the protection afforded the vets. Oh joy, lol.

It was almost a lot more interesting- Hapah had the Brooch of the Phoenix!  If a double kill involving him had happened, I would have loved reading Book's reaction.
Yup, I saw that and was very glad I decided not to target Hapah earlier. It would really have ruined my day. But I gotta say, that was both very lucky (having the Brooch and a means to off yourself, i.e., scroll of danger) and also very cunning. Well played. Glad I didn't have to deal with it.
I was happy with the Scroll, but I was really hoping for anything I could target so I could point it at you, Book. I'd either trip your Self-Defense and negate the NK, or it wouldn't go off and I could call you for putting a lie (no SD scroll) on a lie (protecting me that night).

Urist and Book: You two each had to put out rivers of BS on each other. I had to swim through it all to figure out who was telling the truth. No fun for anyone!

Book: Flandre quested and got the Brooch N1. When I saw that's what I'd fallen into I couldn't be happier, and I'm glad I didn't give off any signals that I had it. And when you opened the last day with telling Shakerag to reveal and lynch me, I thought for sure you two had a Helm of Telepathy chat or something and had it all worked out. I was pleasantly surprised when I was still alive next time I checked.

Toaster: I'm glad I stood out! I've still got some quirks to work out (see Book setting me straight after he joins. That was this game, right?), but I'm happy that the skills translate fairly well. NOW MAKE ANOTHER ROGUELIKE. If nothing else, could we start signups soon? Some rules will change, but I imagine the bones will be the same, and I don't see anything flying off the handle at the rules being clarified or a few items changing as long as they game doesn't go all bastard.

Entertaining.  So many crazy theories, when it was just the simple one.  Also, I was already coming up with an endgame- I was shocked when the switch to Jack happened.
Yeah....maybe not my finest moment (I'd blame the gin, but it's too damn delicious). I just couldn't shake the feeling that Urist-Jack could be a team. What does everyone else think? I thought it was an unfortunate but reasonable mislynch.

I haven't even cracked open scum or dead chat. I think I'll do that tonight!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 23, 2012, 11:44:31 pm »

If you mean artifacts, then I just get lazy and reroll if it rolls one that's already pulled... but only one game has had two artifacts, anyway.  (And Ottofar got them both.  Lucky bastard.)
I was actually talking about the one exception of the One Ring - never genned for scum. And which game was that? I want to read it now.

Book: Flandre quested and got the Brooch N1. When I saw that's what I'd fallen into I couldn't be happier, and I'm glad I didn't give off any signals that I had it.
What I'm curious about is why you gave away that it even existed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 23, 2012, 11:48:06 pm »

I should've killed Flandre.

Between GG and my death, something was telling me off on Hapah.

Mmph, bad time to not listen to anyone about Hapah.

And by far, I hoped Shakerag didn't have too much mental stress on figuring it all out.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 23, 2012, 11:48:38 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot the One Ring.

And that was RM2.  Not really a good read.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 23, 2012, 11:57:31 pm »

Everything else is food for the Roguelike discussion thread.

Yeah. It's your thread, so how about you post your impressions of this game and things you'd like to discuss there? I'm sure we'll find some time to hash some ideas out.

This game is very fun, but it does seem like a pain in the ass to mod... too many things to keep track of and variables to watch. Thanks for the effort!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 23, 2012, 11:58:57 pm »

What I'm curious about is why you gave away that it even existed.
I didn't see any harm in letting on that an artifact existed. I really did use an Oracle scroll, and I didn't want to claim zero (as Tiruin did) and have someone else who used an oracle go "nuh uh, there's one out there!".
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 24, 2012, 02:31:25 am »

Darvi and Jack are fucking fuckasses. Tiruin is too, but at least he had an excuse.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 24, 2012, 03:13:11 pm »

Hapah:
I was happy with the Scroll, but I was really hoping for anything I could target so I could point it at you, Book. I'd either trip your Self-Defense and negate the NK, or it wouldn't go off and I could call you for putting a lie (no SD scroll) on a lie (protecting me that night).
Heh, didn't think of that either. I tell you, that was pretty cunning, and I guess I got lucky you had nothing with which to target me. Those are pretty common.

(see Book setting me straight after he joins. That was this game, right?)
Yes. For clarity and reference, most of the game-related stuff I said was honest advice; while I lied a lot (being scum), I did mean it that D1 no-lynches are almost always bad for town, that opposing an extension on LYLO is both bad for town and scummy, that you don't need a justification for a FoS beyond "my gut says you're acting funny", that claiming 100% certainties is wrong and misguided because, yes, everybody fucking lies, even townies, and everybody has something to hide (details on their role, or masonchats, or whathaveyou).

While "lynch all liars" is a common (and sort of valid) position to take, and townies run the risk of causing a mislynch by lying if discovered, one should never assume claims are valid, or that all possible combinations & permutations are accounted for. Especially if there are dead players who can no longer be questioned - trusting the dead just because they flipped town can make for dangerous assumptions.

I just couldn't shake the feeling that Urist-Jack could be a team. What does everyone else think? I thought it was an unfortunate but reasonable mislynch.
Well, I'm obviously biased, but I think that while the assumptions that led to it were reasonable, you should have paid more attention to who was scummy rather than who made the statistics work. But Jack was reasonably scummy.

I haven't even cracked open scum or dead chat. I think I'll do that tonight!
Oh, you should. Lots of pearls there, in both chats. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 24, 2012, 04:04:42 pm »

Hapah:  It's dangerous to build teams like that.  Hunt scummy people and look for connections, but don't make up your mind solely based on two people at once- lynch the person most likely to be scum, not a member of the pair/trio most likely to be scum.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35