Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 4 - Haste makes waste. [Game over!]  (Read 107676 times)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 4 - An arrow escape [Day 6]
« Reply #465 on: May 23, 2012, 10:45:59 am »

Shorten.

What happened, Book? Did Urist redirect, or is there some item that lets you do the slow-mo "NoooOOOOO" dive and take a bullet for someone and Urist did that? Or did you really just plug Urist? So many questions!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 23, 2012, 10:51:29 am »

I killed him. It was a difficult choice, but my rationale is described in detail in scumchat. Basically, I was pretty sure you'd be protected, and Shake was likely to be protected as well, but even if he wasn't, if I offed him I'd have to convince you UI was the scum on D6, which seemed both too difficult, and frankly not very fun.

By my calculations, there was one more 3rd party, and Shake had given indications of being, uhm, not opposed, to a scum victory, so after some gnashing of teeth I decided to take the long bet of either someone targeting me or Shake being a friendly survivor or the like.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 23, 2012, 11:03:01 am »

I see I see. I'll have more posts after work, and after I pore over all the information given at game end.

Good game everyone!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 23, 2012, 11:09:19 am »

I killed him. It was a difficult choice, but my rationale is described in detail in scumchat. Basically, I was pretty sure you'd be protected, and Shake was likely to be protected as well, but even if he wasn't, if I offed him I'd have to convince you UI was the scum on D6, which seemed both too difficult, and frankly not very fun.

By my calculations, there was one more 3rd party, and Shake had given indications of being, uhm, not opposed, to a scum victory, so after some gnashing of teeth I decided to take the long bet of either someone targeting me or Shake being a friendly survivor or the like.
I what?  O_o

I figured Hapah was going to get offed last night, as that would leave me and two people who I kept flip-flopping between as scum.  I suppose it was too much of a gamble to leave UI alive, as he was gung-ho against Bookthras.  Now, if we had entered 3p LYLO with Bookthras, Jack, and myself ... that could have gotten hairy. 

You very nearly could have played me like a harp, Bookthras, and it wasn't until the end of the last day that I finally started to have anything resembling a solid suspicion on you.  You were a little too calm and collected, and the appeals to emotion didn't help any. 

Like here:
Shakerag: don't believe him, or think that because he appears to have moved his vote you're off the hook. He's perfectly liable to move it back a minute before the deadline. That's the kind of scummy fucker he is. It's just one more attempt at confusion and misdirection.
If you had said something not directed at me, but at UI like "You're full of shit, and I know you'll move your vote back a minute before the deadline like the scummy fucker you are."  ... I think that would have left me more in a state of "who the fuck do I vote" rather than looking at you more intently. 

I swear, I flipped back and forth as to who was scum of UI, Jack, and Book on D5 more times than I can remember.  Man.  And I was so sure I was on to something with the whole UI<->Jack interactions. 

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 23, 2012, 11:37:58 am »

Good game everyone!

Indeed, good game! This setup is lots of fun, and very swingy. I like it! You in particular, Hapah, played very well. Great first game, and I hope you stick around!

I figured Hapah was going to get offed last night
The thing is that I needed a successful kill. If I hit a protection, I'd go into D6 3-vs-1, which was unwinnable, and both of you were likely protection targets. It was too risky to try and fail.

You were a little too calm and collected
I saw you saying this earlier, but a warning against using it as a meta indicator: I'm calm and collected as town as well. It's my poker face, and I wear it every game.

I swear, I flipped back and forth as to who was scum of UI, Jack, and Book on D5 more times than I can remember.
Let's leave the analysis for the postgame, but yes: it was this flipping and your obvious lack of a clue that made me think you were 3rd party. In fact, I thought you were mafia-ally! that's how aimless your play was... it was not until I reread your tracking and outing of Tiruin (which I had read but happened before I joined, so it wasn't fresh in my memory) that I decided "survivor" was more likely and my only hope.

Man.  And I was so sure I was on to something with the whole UI<->Jack interactions.
Yeah, that was suspicious as hell, wasn't it? I saw that too, and overplayed it all I could.

...but more later.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 23, 2012, 07:20:44 pm »

Bah!  Bah, I say!
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 23, 2012, 10:19:28 pm »

Book bows his head.  Shakerag and Hapah both have their weapons drawn and are backing him into a corner.  He sighs.

"You win.  I admit setting this trap.  I, however, can get us out of here.  Please- forgive me!"  The other two look at each other.

"Fine," grunts Hapah.  "Open that door and we'll see what we can do."

Book walks to the door and works on it for a few minutes.  There is a grind of stone, and the door slowly swings open.  Book gestures at the door, smiles, and takes off running.  Hapah moves to follow, but Shakerag stops him.  "Why bother?  He's no threat to us now.  Look at this great treasure vault we're in- think of what this can do for your temple.  As for me, I bet there's some great weapons and armor in the vault!"

The two each gather a vast sum of treasure, and head back to the surface.  Along the way, they pass the corpse of Book, who fell victim to a trap that had been missed the first time.  Hapah sighs.  "Haste makes waste."

They breach the surface into a new world of wealth.

Bookthras has been lynched!  He was a Bard (Mafia)!

Game over!  Town has won!  Mr. Dwarfinton, Brother, has won!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 4 - Haste makes waste. [Game over!]
« Reply #472 on: May 23, 2012, 10:22:43 pm »

Hurray~
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 23, 2012, 10:23:37 pm »

"You win.  I admit setting this trap.  I, however, can get us out of here.  Please- forgive me!"

Flavour failure! I object! I do not beg for forgiveness or apologise for nuthin'. I was hired to kill you bunch, and did my best. If I failed, so be it, but I regret nothing, and ask no forgiveness. I'll git ya next time! Harharhar....

Great game, Toaster! Run another one!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 23, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »

Boom. Headshot.

Good game!  :D

Book, you moved to the tune of the Danse Macabre, why'd you give it up?  :P

Scummy scum scum chat.

Utterly deceased chat

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 23, 2012, 10:24:29 pm »

Scum chat:  http://www.quicktopic.com/47/H/Zbbm7gQFkQfMS

Dead chat:  http://www.quicktopic.com/47/H/58XMHUfyXKMru

Spoiler: Role PMs (click to show/hide)

Actions and game tracker:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvFsNFGsoA1KdGZQaFM2QUVqVDJha1c3WmFycm94N2c

Good game!  First Roguelike the town has one, as well.  It was a lot simpler than you folks made it out to be- two scum and a Brother to a townie.  I made the Brother to a townie because it was slightly weaker than a regular townie as the suspicion on both him and Jack showed.  I never expected it to last until day six.

It was almost a lot more interesting- Hapah had the Brooch of the Phoenix!  If a double kill involving him had happened, I would have loved reading Book's reaction.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 23, 2012, 10:25:11 pm »

Man.  And I was so sure I was on to something with the whole UI<->Jack interactions.
Yeah, that was suspicious as hell, wasn't it? I saw that too, and overplayed it all I could.
This was your major tactical flaw. By constructing cases on me and Jack that were so intertwined with each other, you basically lost everything on me as soon as Jack flipped town.

EDIT: That's a lot of scumchat.
EDIT2: I was the initial choice for N1 kill?
EDIT3: I think I got Tiruin's wand of protect.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:30:31 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 23, 2012, 10:27:45 pm »

Yay, ninja'd Toaster on those chats.

Great game, Toaster! Run another one!

Query: Why did everyone hop onto Mr.D in day 2?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 23, 2012, 10:32:04 pm »

Well, he was being scummy, and I for one wasn't sure between you and Shakerag, so I was hoping for another night of inspections/stuff to confirm someone.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 23, 2012, 10:34:35 pm »

I am inclined to run another, but I do want to tweak a few rules first.  First and foremost, the flavor is fun to write, but it's sometimes hard to make it not give away too much.  Hallucination scrolls are the big offender- it's just too damn much fun to write up what hallucinated people see.  I think I'm going to change that scroll so it's extremely obvious to the target what happened, regardless of if it triggers or not.

Second, Brooch is ambiguous as written.  The idea is if the holder dies in the night, anyone who dies that night is ressed at night end, but it doesn't explicitly say that in the description.   There are probably a few other items that aren't clear, especially given the large number of potential interactions.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35