Stalker
- 38 (19.2%)
Kobold
- 73 (36.9%)
Guardian
- 19 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54

Author Topic: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.  (Read 192997 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.
« Reply #585 on: February 11, 2013, 08:42:30 pm »

I've done even less then Slayer has.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 11, 2013, 08:46:28 pm »

Deebus went back over to the stairs the creature had come from. Then, extremely warily, he crept down into the red-tinged darkness from which it had crawled. He found himself in a cave, made of the same heavy, uncanny stone as the maze above, and very dimly lit with a faint red glow which seemed to come from the air itself. Still, it might as well have been dark. This was clearly a magical place. Perhaps all the evil spirits of the world had come from here before they came from the dreaded mountains?

His thoughts were cut short, though, as he looked through a narrow passage and saw three more of the salt spirits. In a moment, they saw him too. Deebus fled back up the stairs, running away from the antechamber - right into three more of the giant dead beasts. He run the other way, ducking down a side passage. He expected to knee-cap one monster or the other as it came around the corner after him, but they didn't. In a moment, he heard the sound of screams and violent blows. After a minute, the clashing stopped and he crept out again. The dead things, large but smaller than the spirits, were all smashed, but one of the spirits was as well. The other was wounded, and the third must not have followed Deebus up the stairs.

Deebus shot the spirit with his remaining arrows, creating a sizable fissure it its middle. Seizing a dead koala, he threw it and smashed the spirit's torso to pieces. He would need more arrows for the remaining one, so he took the dead koala and whittled its bones to sharp points.

The third spirit was indeed back down in the cave, but wasn't after he got it to chase him back up onto familiar ground. With two arrows he brought it to the floor, and leading it dragging itself around a corner, he jumped and beheaded it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 11, 2013, 08:48:01 pm »

I've only even been in the caverns once and even then I was an adamantine collosus.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 12, 2013, 12:16:03 am »

Finding no more monstrous spirits in the cave, he was satisfied. Until he found another downwards stair within. As he peered in, another horrifying scream came from below. A dense cloud of boiling ash came shrieking up the passage, settling into a shape with four legs and enormous pincers. Deebus ran from its smoking advance, firing arrows that sent big heaps of soot sloughing onto the floor. Finally, as it stumbled behind him, he spun around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Carefully, he crept down into this next cave. On the far side he saw glowing pairs of violet eyes, belonging to enormous armadillo-like spirits. He ducked out of view of these eyes - right into another ash spirit. Again, Deebus was barely faster than both spirits, the armadillo and ash cloud charging just behind him,  but he managed to slip back up into the smoothed chamber. Only the armadillo followed him, and from the far side of the room in the shadows, the glowing eyes making easy targets, he pegged its feet. The blue blade cut through its fleshy body as easily as it did the soft ash.

The blood was grey and sizzled on the floor. Deebus looked at the spatter on his blade. Better be careful not to touch it.

Going back downstairs, he toppled the ash spirit with an arrow and then stealthily swept it in half. On the floor below, leaving the armadillos alone for the time being, Deebus found another salt spirit and one like a great tortise made of green glass. It was not as nearly as slow as a tortise, but, when he lured it into isolation, it did indeed turn out as brittle as glass.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:30:05 am by HugoLuman »

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 12, 2013, 12:34:39 am »

Well truth to be told, while it's up to you - it'd be a shame to have it all end with either one single undodgeable fireball to the face - or some stupid insta-necrosis dust accident.

oh_no

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 12, 2013, 12:39:53 am »

If I see something that has ranged attack, I will not close to melee. If I engage, it will be with arrows and thrown corpses.

EDIT: For the non WMD-wielding forces of Hell, baiting, sneaking, crippling with arrows/thrown body parts, then slicing in half seems to be working very well. The inorganic ones are very brittle, too. Problem is, they're huge. I won't even try to melee unless they're crippled.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:51:24 am by HugoLuman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 12, 2013, 12:46:15 am »

If I see something that has ranged attack, I will not close to melee. If I engage, it will be with arrows and thrown corpses.
Wise. The times I've closed to melee with a deadly dust demon, I've been wearing so much armor and bling that it doesn't affect me.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 12, 2013, 12:52:20 am »

Get out of there, and kill the boss enemy on the surface.  If you die here, who's gonna kill him?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #593 on: February 12, 2013, 02:14:41 am »

If Deebus does die, Armok forbid, then another Kobold should take up his position to cleanse the remainder of the world of its demons (after proving himself against wildlife so he can get skills enough), and then go down and collect the blue spear of awesomeness.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 12, 2013, 02:30:22 am »

Deebus had little trouble clearing out that cave, using arrows liberally (as there were plenty of bones to restock from) and carefully avoiding the blood of the armadillos. The next cave down, however, made him nervous: a twisting, narrow, two-way passage with no alcoves. There were two ash spirits, which were faster than the other kinds, and he had to bait them back into more spacious areas to destroy them without risking getting rushed and stomped down a narrow tunnel. They were the only two in that maze however, and with release he found the next cave more open.

This cave had three more ash spirits and an armadillo spirit. These spirits were seeming more perceptive than most creatures, spotting him often, but with the wide chambers, he managed to spread them out. The ash clouds burst with thrown pieces of other spirits, the armadillo he crippled with arrows. Like some of the others he'd fought in the last cave with them, he allowed it to bleed out after removing some of its limbs.

Below was another cave, which Deebus edged warily through. He ran into an Armadillo spirit around a corner, but luckily managed to strike first.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just around the corner was another one, but Deebus had some distance on it and pegged it with his bow. After much scrambling away from it and much blocking from Deebus, he finally took its head. Finding the stairs, he resolved to stick to much less risky tactics.

This cave was a maze as well, but at the end of a nerve-wracking sneak, thankfully proved empty. The layer below, however, had an armadillo right at the bottom of the stairs. If he spoke language, he would almost have cursed to himself, but Deebus baited it into the long, imaneuverable corridor and took it down. He really hoped he wouldn't have to do that again.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:31:53 am by HugoLuman »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 12, 2013, 02:32:40 am »

Deebus is really pushing his luck here.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 12, 2013, 03:39:39 am »

He did have to do it again, as there were three more in that chamber. This time, though, he made sure they were crippled before he led them up the stairs, and felt much safer as he bisected their lurching forms from the top step. Scouting around the cave, he found each demon beforehand, checking if one might see him while he dealt with another, and formed a plan to destroy each one. With great effort, he hefted a piece of armadillo spirit (which all the blood had drained from) and hurled it through an ash specter, exploding it instantly, and did the same for the other one in that chamber. There were several more ash spirits, each dispatched with carefully judged throws, as well as four more glass tortises. After many minutes, though, the layer was clear. He found the stairs, and finding the next cave curiously empty, crept in.

Just as he did this, though, he suddenly felt weak. Then he realized: there was a drop of black blood on his finger. He barely managed to crawl into an alcove before he fell over. All went black, and he knew no more.

When Deebus woke, he did not know how much later, he started. But, checking himself, he found no wounds or anything unusual. He was still alive. For now. He checked his surroundings. This cave did not seem to have any more stairs, but there was a small passage from which came a slightly less dim red ambience. He decided to hazard a look.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:32:31 am by HugoLuman »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 12, 2013, 03:44:32 am »

Syndrome that knocked him out? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 12, 2013, 03:47:15 am »

Syndrome that knocked him out?
Seems so. I don't know if it had any other effects, but no necrosis or nerve damage, looks like. I'm just glad that didn't happen mid-combat.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 12, 2013, 08:33:37 am »

Passing out just outside of hell.
Now there's some !!LUCK!!

oh_no
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54