Stalker
- 38 (19.2%)
Kobold
- 73 (36.9%)
Guardian
- 19 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 54

Author Topic: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.  (Read 193083 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.
« Reply #300 on: June 30, 2012, 04:26:04 pm »

Well, this seems to be what people want me to do with the Unicorn.

Deebus needed arrows badly, and here was large game with good bones. He readied an arrow to shoot one of the horn-horses with, but when he loosed it it missed narrowly. Three more arrows missed the beast just ever so slightly. This would not do. He could not waste more arrows. He would have to creep up to his prey and slay it with his spear. As he got near, preparing his strike, the stallion smelled him and panicked. Deebus quickly speared him in the right flank to prevent getting kicked, but kick the horn-horse did.

Luckily Deebus managed to dodge the deadly hoof, and thinking fast he shot an arrow into it. His prey fell to the ground, making frightening and horrid noises, but now it had little time left. A blow to the skull knocked it out, failing to kill. A spear to the neck opened the veins, though, and in moments the horn horse was dead. In a few minutes he had made twenty-five more bone arrows, making forty-eight total, and a tin flask full of blood; he had not found a river all day and his water was getting low. He took with him the horn of the beast, as well. It might prove useful.

Further into the sacred land he went. Deebus knew not where he was going, only that he must explore. He noted the trees of this place; he had seen many of their like before, except for the most beautiful ones. Their bark was white as snow, with very faint gold stripes, and they had leaves like pale green feathers. Each tree was shaped such as to resemble a great feather. They seemed light, almost immaterial, as if somehow they weren't really there. Their beauty was haunting and ethereal, but it was beauty nonetheless. Somehow, though, looking at them made Deebus feel slightly... sad.

When the sun was high in the eastern sky, Deebus came to the beginning of a vast expanse of ice. The center of the sacred lands. He didn't know what else to do. Where to go from here. His tribe did not know the answers, he did not know where to even begin looking. He wandered through the empty ice all day. Finally, there was only one thing left to do. He dropped his spear on the ice, sat down, and waited.

Night was beginning to fall now. He lit a fire from some spare sticks he carried in his pack and warmed his waterskins with it, taking a drink and eating some meat. As night began to fall, he noticed something extraordinary. He realized he should have seen them sooner, but the sun had hidden them, making them too faint to notice. Now, though, as the sun set, the sky darkened and they could be seen, burning bright as fire. The snaking lines of light in the sky, the walls of fire of every color, shifting and whirling. It was the spirits of the ancestors, flying in the sky.

Deebus called out to them. He asked them for guidance, asked them where he should go. He received no answer. Deebus pleaded to the lights, begged to know where he must go. Still they would not answer. He was distraught. Why could no one help him? Surely the Ancestors, the ones who had chosen him for his mission, would know where the evil he must destroy lay. On his knees he stared at the sky hopelessly. The lights danced, but did not speak.

Then a thought came to him. The ancestors were not speaking, but they were still telling him what he needed to know. They just needed him to be clever. All the lights flowed from the North to the South. South! Of course! Towards the center of the world. Deebus knew where he must go now.

Day 9 5th Galena 200

As soon as he awoke, Deebus left his icy camp and headed directly south and east. He left the sacred lands soon after the sun was rising, coming out of tundra and into barren sandy country in the early morning. At the edge of this he stopped to thaw his waterskins again, for he was very thirsty, and continued on. This sandy place was sparsely dotted with the strange sand-plants, and stretched on for many miles, but at midday he emerged from it into more snowy plains. Here he stopped to eat some polar bear meat and the last of the cave crawler flesh. Finally, in the mid afternoon, he came the foot of the Courageous Crest, the great mountain in the center of the world.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:33:35 am by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 30, 2012, 05:20:41 pm »

This mountain was very treacherous. He would head up a slope only to find the next one impassable, and had to hug around the edges of mind-boggling cliffs. Eventually, though, he found his way to the top, and beheld the Eye of the World. It was as the legends said. A great pool on the top of a huge pillar of rock in the Crest, a pool of bright orange and red. It was as if fire and water were combined into one thing. No one knew how deep the pool went. Some said that it went from the top of the world all the way to the bottom. No one could know, though, except the Ancestors who knew everything.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He was filled with amazement, though wondered why he had to come here. Then he knew. He could see far from up here. There were clouds of snow, stopping him from seeing the whole world, but he could see far enough. Stokoflaydis, the Heart Tribe, lived at the foot of the Crest, and now he could see smoke coming from the northernmost spoke of the mountain. That must be where the cave was.

Sure enough, after a long climb down, he came to the well-concealed entrance. Kobolds stood in front of a great fire, the source of the smoke, keeping warm in the snow. Then Deebus revealed himself to them and they were awestruck. He approached one of them, an Elder or the Chief by the look, and hailed. The Elder welcomed Deebus, explaining that all the tribes knew of his great deeds, and asked what brought Deebus there.

Deebus told the Elder that he needed to know where their enemies were, so that he could destroy them. He asked the Elder, who said he had no name, to name all creatures that had ever grieved his tribe. To Deebus's satisfaction, he gave a long list of troglodytes, wolves, and polar bears who had been trouble to his people for years. With especial scorn he mentioned a troglodyte named Rouriage, murderer of a beloved kobold named Filbus. He told him that his people might know of the locations of greater beasts, as well, but would not ask Deebus to go after them. Thest the Hill Titan lay in Rambudded, the dragon Secaan lay in Heatflare, the cyclops Zokrod lay in Coalsparks, and the dread troll Nusta the Haunts of Earth lurked in the Trite Nights.

He asked that Deebus stay with them awhile before he continued his journey, though. Deebus decided that it would be best to accept the offer.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:34:29 am by HugoLuman »

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 30, 2012, 07:45:29 pm »

What's the description on the hill titan?
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 30, 2012, 07:52:42 pm »

What's the description on the hill titan?
No clue, haven't encountered it yet. I could make a save/copy and look it up in Legends.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 30, 2012, 07:59:56 pm »

Deebus, be careful...

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 30, 2012, 08:35:37 pm »

Deebus, be careful...

Oh, care is his greatest asset in this world.

Ever read the TES story of the lesser daedra that made a name for himself being untouchable? I forget it's name, now. It's a marksman skill book in Skyrim, but I do have a mod installed that re-adds all the books from previous games to the leveled lists so...

If you haven't read it and don't want it spoiled, read no further.

Deebus is barely above average when not sneaking. He could very easily die if his luck runs out. RNG gods be willing, he wipes out everyone THIS tribe knows about as well.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2012, 09:45:29 pm »

Deebus, be careful...

Ever read the TES story of the lesser daedra that made a name for himself being untouchable? I forget it's name, now. It's a marksman skill book in Skyrim, but I do have a mod installed that re-adds all the books from previous games to the leveled lists so...

Deebus is barely above average when not sneaking. He could very easily die if his luck runs out. RNG gods be willing, he wipes out everyone THIS tribe knows about as well.
I dunno, managed to acquire some pretty high dodging, blocking, spear, wrestling, and throwing skills somehow. In a straight-up fight he'd have a major disadvantage due to size, but possibly an advantage due to speed. If he got mobbed by several things he'd likely die.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2012, 09:46:53 pm »

Deebus, be careful...

I dunno, managed to acquire some pretty high dodging, blocking, spear, wrestling, and throwing skills somehow. In a straight-up fight he'd have a major disadvantage due to size, but possibly an advantage due to speed. If he got mobbed by several things he'd likely die.

I found Deebus.

http://dfstories.com/asax-masterjails-the-most-awesome-cave-swallowman-ever
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #308 on: June 30, 2012, 10:36:00 pm »

If you arm and train them, they might just surprise you. But most kobolds lack courage, fleeing rather quickly if a few are killed or they take injuries. You'll have to find a way to steel their naturally skittish minds.

Amphetamines. Berserker Kobolds. XD
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 01, 2012, 05:11:39 am »

If you arm and train them, they might just surprise you. But most kobolds lack courage, fleeing rather quickly if a few are killed or they take injuries. You'll have to find a way to steel their naturally skittish minds.

Thrall vapors.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 03, 2012, 12:16:51 am »

Thrall vapors.

This. All of this.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 07, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »

Day 10 6th Galena, 200

Deebus stayed in Stokoflaydis for the rest of the day and the following night, sharing food and stories with the kobolds there. At dawn, though, it was time to depart. He warmed his meal on the fire and departed into the snow, leaving behind the tunic with the sweet pods picture as a gift. He headed northwest to the lair of his first target, the wolf Strir. Crossing a frozen river into a tundra land brought him to the cave while the sky was still orange. The cold, frosty tunnel ran a fair way into the chert of the hill, but it was straight and Deebus could see his prey from the entrance. Strir seemed like a miserable, nasty creature. Enormous, yet starved and skinny. He did not look like he had much strength in him, but the hunger in his orange eyes showed that he was vicious and desperate. A survivor at all costs.

Strir's ferocity did not prevail him that time, though. Before the beast could even snarl, the spear entering his skull put him out of his misery. Deebus cleaned his weapons and left the carcass where it lay. His next nearest targets were away to the northeast, the troglodytes Kegeth and Freedome, dwelling together in the cave of Brandsewers.

He had only travelled half a mile or so into the frozen forest when he ducked into hiding. Three trolls were out hunting; Lisat Stalôsed, Eguaragel, and Mightect. The most dangerous grouping of beasts was a pack of young males, and here were trolls. He knew that they must die. They three of them stood close together; easy targets. Three arrows flew and struck, bringing three trolls to the ground. They all fell on top of each other, though. Not good. He needed to separate them in order to kill them assuredly. Deebus leapt up and shouted, revealing himself to them, and so the two still conscious gave chase. They did not chase far, though, before the pain of running with their injuries made them collapse. Now three unconscious trolls lay on the ground waiting to be slain.
Deebus slit all their throats with his spear and began to strangle Mightect, for he was the strongest and needed to be ensured to die. Just as Lisat and Eguaragel bled out, though, the troll regained consciousness and started to flee. With a quick strike to the back and foot, though, Deebus brought Mightect to the ground again. With another stab to the throat, he too bled out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:39:56 am by HugoLuman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2012, 04:40:16 pm »

Continuing onwards, Deebus entered again into the hauntingly beautiful country. The ethereal feathery trees began to appear mixed amongst the normal ones again. As he walked, though, uncautiously, he heard howling. A pack of wolves burst from the trees, running towards his sides, trying to flank him. Deebus was too quick for them, though. He drew his bow, and in a blur of motion loosed arrow after arrow.
Each arrow found its mark, each shot bringing a wolf to the ground with a yipe!
Soon, the entire pack was on the ground, and Deebus went around to all of them, impaling their heads. Two of them got back up, but several arrows to the belly and stabs to the paws later, they were on the ground, bleeding out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:42:58 am by HugoLuman »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2012, 05:10:23 pm »

Deebus is some sort of angel of death... And that second to last pic is a pretty damn creepy rendition of him, too. Good drawing nonetheless.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 08, 2012, 12:18:55 am »

Kobold bone arrows? How morally ambigeous.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 54