Stalker
- 38 (19.2%)
Kobold
- 73 (36.9%)
Guardian
- 19 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54

Author Topic: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.  (Read 193082 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.
« Reply #285 on: June 23, 2012, 11:55:55 pm »

It seems kind of odd to me that kobolds, being tribal civilizations, would have no basic religion. I understand that's simply not the way the raws are written, I just think there should be something.  I guess a deity description would be sorta hard to do in utterances though.
Again, I just assume they have ancestor worship, rather than deity worship. So there still is a kind of spirituality.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 24, 2012, 08:14:27 am »

So, given that !!Science!! seems to be showing that you can only get a bluemetal sword from a clown fortress, have you considered starting to train Deebus in using a sword with the iron one you have?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 24, 2012, 12:59:03 pm »

I think I may have thrown it at the bogeymen, actually. I think it would be better to keep with the spear, though, as I can use a shield with it (the short sword being 2 handed to a kobold), and it can pierce vitals more easily. !!SCIENCE!! has shown that spears are one of the best choices for large creatures.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 26, 2012, 04:05:10 am »

I think I may have thrown it at the bogeymen, actually. I think it would be better to keep with the spear, though, as I can use a shield with it (the short sword being 2 handed to a kobold), and it can pierce vitals more easily. !!SCIENCE!! has shown that spears are one of the best choices for large creatures.
You can still fight with a short sword in one hand and a shield in another I believe. Size limits for weapons are not respected in adventure mode, I've had dwarves fighting with dual great axes before.
Strength might be a problem here, because Deebus might be too weak to swing an iron sword hard enough with one hand. but with adamantine sword that should be okay.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:10:41 am by nanomage »

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 26, 2012, 04:16:18 am »

I'm for the custom reaction to create a spear from a sword deal. Creative writing going along with the chosen one vibe, or just "unscrew blade tie to stick" are both valid solutions.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 26, 2012, 04:31:49 am »

Don't know about unscrewing blade, just tie it to a stick by the handle more like. But yeah, I think it would be more fitting.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 26, 2012, 03:53:57 pm »

Making the spear would fit the story better - Deebus has made everything he has. Getting an ultimate weapon as a gift from the cosmos doesn't fit the theme.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 27, 2012, 03:36:24 pm »

Day 8 4th Galena, 200

Before the sun had risen, only showing an orangeness in the east, Deebus had finished his search and left the camp. In all, he had recovered a total of six arrows. Not much, but at least he had something to shoot. He also found the horn of one of the spirits, as well as other severed body parts, but the corpses were gone. He had scarcely been able to see their hideous forms the night before. Now he would probably never know what they looked like. That was probably for the best.

The sun had scarcely risen when Deebus had found another hole. It was a very unusual one. For one, it had a door. Deebus had head of doors, but never seen them. Kobolds hadn't often found use for the idea of putting some wood across your entrance, but perhaps it had protective value. In any case, it was known that only the most bizarre and hideous creatures put them over their dens. He hoped six arrows would be enough.

Opening the ramshackle door, careful not to make it creak, Deebus crept inside. What he first saw filled him with disgust. There were two wooden tables, strewn with the remains of various insects, some of which were mashed up into a paste within bowls. On one of the tables, though, were two kobold skeletons, covered with blood, with large piles of meat next to them. Whatever lived here had to die today.

As it turned out, Deebus saw after creeping past piles of bone, blood, kobold clothes, and odd tools, that monster was Dalvel Skavroscaran. He was a well-known abomination, whom some called a Bleak Freak. Dalvel appeared to be shaped like a kobold, standing on two legs and having two arms, but he was at least thrice the height of one and with a decidedly non-kobold face. He was tall, spindly, and menacing, the two wide horns of his head nearly scraping the ceiling. His lidless eyes burned with some purpose known only to him, and he moved in long silent strides.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deebus loosed an arrow, striking Dalvel in the back, but it barely sank through the skin. He shot twice more, one missing and the next impaling the abomination's left knee, for Dalvel had turned around. Deebus walked over to finish off his foe who had fallen over, but Dalvel whipped around and spotted him. Thinking fast, Deebus leapt back before the monster could draw his carving knife. He quickly fired another arrow that bit Dalvel's right hip, but Dalvel crawled after him, and crawled fast. Deebus retreated down the passage, but he could not seem to escape Dalvel's attention, for he was quickly spotted again. He fired another arrow that struck the same place. Dalvel lunged at Deebus, barely missing him with the carving knife, and caused Deebus to roll into a small alcove. At last he regained his stealth, managing to get behind the Bleak Freak. Having no more arrows, he instead withdrew the iron sword from his pack and hurled it at Dalvel, who dodged it and lurched after Deebus once more.

Deebus scooped up a large iron dagger from the floor and hurled it. The mighty toss burried the dagger deep into the bone of Dalvel's left leg, but still the Freak kept crawling, spotting Deebus at every turn. Deebus knew the layout of the lair now, though, and more easily evaded his foe and got back out of sight. He seized up more sharp tools from the gruesome piles of Dalvel's things, throwing them and missing, before he once more got behind Dalvel and skewered his left hand with his spear. Dalvel came up swinging. Deebus jumped back.

The abomination stared at Deebus, it's face showing no emotion, but the glowing white eyes that pierced the darkness like no other foe Deebus had seen held the utmost rage. "FOOL!" he cried. "I am Dalvel Ashbone! Your kind is only dinner to me! Do you know who I am!?"

Deebus did not answer, simply asking if Dalvel knew who HE was. Then he hurled the copper slicing knife he had taken from the floor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:31:24 am by HugoLuman »

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 27, 2012, 03:43:00 pm »

Bisected with a copper slicing knife? DAMN THAT'S COOL!
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 27, 2012, 03:44:31 pm »

MY.

FREAKING.

DEEBUS.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 27, 2012, 04:31:40 pm »

He surprised. The force of his throw had simply parted the abomination at the waist, embedding the knife in the soil wall behind him. He looked at his arm, flexing it, tensing the lean muscles. How could a kobold have such strength? It was not troubling, though. The ancestors were with him, it was as simple as that. They must have chosen him for this, for knowing that he would become strong.

The macabre place was filled with gruesome things aplenty, but also interesting things stolen and taken from victims over the years. There was a beautiful loincloth, encrusted with spikes of satinspar, and another one with spikes of bone. The most impressive treasure, however, was a tunic covered with round polished phyllite stones and adorned with cave-bear teeth forming the image of two sweet-pods. Deebus also found some bones, from what creature he dared not think, which he whittled some arrows from. If they were kobold bones, then he supposed that it was not dishonorable for them to become arrows; now the dead could help make the world better for the living, in a small but vital way. He also grabbed all the knives from the place, including a large iron dagger. They would make good trophies to give to his people, and could be useful in the meantime.

With that he went out the door. He needed to hunt now, to get more bones to make arrows with. So north and west he trekked, finding no game large enough to bother with (for arrows need large-ish bones), but eventually coming into some green hills that were... unusual. All the air was filled with sweet smells, pleasant bird-songs could be heard in all the trees, and the sun seemed make everything softer and fresher. He knew this land, then. It was often spoken of in legends; The Hills of Loving. Like the Tragic Wall of mountains, a place of dread.

For though the air was pleasant, the sun warm, and the fruit delicious, it made one drop their caution. There were creatures there that despised all other living things, creatures that were spoken of with terror.

They were mighty; the horned horses. With all the unpredictable energy of horses, but possessed of great sharp horns as well as the dreaded hooves of trampling. Some said that they guarded the hills, which while dreaded were sacred as well, for it was said that the spirits of the ancestors dwelled in the heart of that country. The horn-horses could not tell the difference between friend or foe, though, and like horses would become frenzied at the slightest hint of movement. Only the ancestors could pass through unmolested, as they came down from the sky.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:32:37 am by HugoLuman »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 27, 2012, 04:42:38 pm »

MURDER IT. NOW.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

thatnewguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 28, 2012, 10:40:41 am »

oh god, im at page 7, and thats not even a half of this "book". also, please dont say what happens next in a response to this post, i want to read it myself :D
f5

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 28, 2012, 04:21:14 pm »

I hate horses... It doesn't help when they have horns.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 29, 2012, 12:16:01 am »

Yeah, those lightsabers man.  They make short work of anything.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54