Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rocs?  (Read 4669 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Rocs?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 04:46:10 pm »

I have several base openings due to chimneys, water intake, and exterior livestock meadows. That, and I didn't realize there were massive building destroyers who could take out several floor grates, etc,etc.

You need to guard your thermal exhaust ports more thoroughly.

:P touche'

So I used dfhack to spawn walls and a ceiling around him. Thankfully he was on the ground/mountainside.

The Roc is pretty much trapped like a spider under a bowl.
Now I'm wondering if I should spawn water in this enclosed area up to full 7/7 to drown it for bothering to show up. I could use some roc meat. Sounds like a delicacy.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 04:48:02 pm »

I was under the impression that spawning obsidian directly on something, as in the same square, would kill it, but I could be wrong. Either way, you could get meat this way, so that's always a plus!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 04:50:35 pm »

I have seen Rocs killed by a single blow from a well-trained Miner.  They're flesh and blood, feel pain and get tired and knocked unconscious.  They're not actually all that dangerous.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 04:51:04 pm »

:D Thankies.

I think I'll just let him stay in there for a while and think about what he did. Also he'll serve as the fort's emergency meat supply should it ever be needed!

Would Magma drown AND cook him all at once? :P

I have seen Rocs killed by a single blow from a well-trained Miner.  They're flesh and blood, feel pain and get tired and knocked unconscious.  They're not actually all that dangerous.

Maybe, but I also saw him fling either camel or a cougar off the side of the mountain. Neither of these sound light, although one sounds more likely to smoke....

A little cheating divine intervention goes a long way. :D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:52:50 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 04:54:13 pm »

Would Magma drown AND cook him all at once? :P

Magma wouldn't leave anything of him, I'm afraid.

Miners just so happen to generally be legendary with one of the nastiest weapons in the game. If they couldn't kill one then no dwarf could.

They're not immortal, by any means, but an adult roc is size 20,000,000. That's usually enough to tear most of your population limb from limb without putting up a fight, considering the damage that something even 100th of its size can do to a dwarf.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 04:55:54 pm »

A Roc's biggest weakness is that its a flyer if you shoot it out of the sky it will commit suicide afterwards by flying up , passing out and falling down again.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 04:57:38 pm »

For reference, the only creature (in the raws, at least) larger than a roc is a fully grown dragon. And dragons get that big after one thousand years, while rocs have rather more reasonable growth times. They like biting with their beak, which is pretty much a guaranteed dismemberment if it lands on a limb. They also grab with their claws.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 05:06:51 pm »

I sent a melee squad against a Roc a while ago and only took one casualty. They're easy once you've got them grounded. Before then, expect deaths.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 05:46:26 pm »

Yeah, if you have it trapped... either kill it with DFhack, or just leave it there. Those things are gigantic. I mean, they dwarf even the largest of dragons... A fully grown roc... I would think that it is as big as a small village.

Now imagine a Giant Roc
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 06:01:01 pm »

Yeah, if you have it trapped... either kill it with DFhack, or just leave it there. Those things are gigantic. I mean, they dwarf even the largest of dragons... A fully grown roc... I would think that it is as big as a small village.

Now imagine a Giant Roc

I want 20, in cages in my fort, yesterday.
Pages: 1 [2]