Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rocs?  (Read 4673 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Rocs?
« on: April 08, 2012, 03:56:21 pm »

So it looks like a named Roc has come to my fort up in the high Z levels of the mountain I don't usually bother with (on the exterior, the interior I'm making a nice thing out of).

My plan, for now, is to keep invaders turned off while I complete some construction projects.

The wiki entry isn't that specific. Is "All beneath its mighty wings should fear the sky," just flavor text, or is this thing gonna start giving me real problems?

Edit: I have several Z level deep chimneys serving as "vents" for my forges. Looks like I"m grating those off just to be sure. Hope Floor Grates work.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 03:58:23 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocs?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 03:59:02 pm »

They're pretty deadly but I tested them in the arena and they seem to be weaker than dragons. That said, if it starts biting dwarves watch the hell out. It was either the biting or clawing that was the most dangerous. Either way make sure your dwarves don't make contact.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:11:01 pm by crazyjake56 »

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:01:54 pm »

They're megabeasts, like dragons and hydras. Odds are, if you're playing a vanilla world under 1000 years old, that guy is the biggest living creature outside of titans and forgotten beasts.

It might give you problems if it gets nearby, and if it gets in the mood to start attacking, there could be some serious casualties if you don't take precautions. For starters, try getting a drawbridge entrance up; if it can't path to the interior of your fortress, it can't wreck the interior of your fortress. Also set up some cage traps; a roc would be a valuable asset if you managed to get it tamed or trained. (Not sure if cage traps work on things that are flying indoors.)
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 04:03:30 pm »

Crap.

Thank you. I turned invaders off specifically to make it so I could do my underground citybuilding mega projects in piece.

So far it's just hanging out on z 160 in a corner of the map, and it can stay there for all I care. My dwarves don't go outside except for z 146. This will cut into my plans for possible outdoor balconies though. :(

Craap. My fort was designed to look good, not to deal with this stuff. hummm. Is it a building destroyer? Can it take out doors? Floor hatches?

As for sealing the fort, I've got 8 industrial smoke vent chimneys with floor grates on the top of them, a water intake right from the stream and a front entrance with marksdwarf arrow fortifications lining the hell out of the walls. Unfortunately no marksdwarves (because I turned off invaders).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:07:52 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 04:07:25 pm »

It can tear down anything besides constructions and will happily do so in between tearing your dwarves limb from limb.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 04:07:47 pm »

Lets just say this....

I'd rather take on HFS.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 04:10:52 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm really hoping to save this fort....

I plan on adding so very much to it. I'm not above cheating like hell to do it. That said I can blast door seal off my forging areas with the floor grated chimneys and the water intake from the stream. Hell I'll do the same thing with the front door if I have to.

I wonder if that rumesmith program thing can nuke it somehow.

Edit: The bastard is flying down the mountain....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 04:13:45 pm »

Couldn't you use DFHack to cast some obsidian on top of the roc? I've never done that before, let alone with a flying creature, but it's worth a shot.
/人‿‿人\

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 04:16:15 pm »

Could also work by making it [IMMOBILE] and [AQUATIC] which should kill it reletively quickly. Alternatively, you could make it burst into flames. Whatever works.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »

Will try to encase the damn thing entirely in spawned obsidian. Though the way dfhack works, I'm not sure if the elevation will entirely allow it.

As for changing its tags, can I do that and have it take immediate effect?

he's now approximately 22 squares and 3 z levels away from a dwarf.

Please don't quote me.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 04:25:19 pm »

What, you don't have ANY military?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 04:26:54 pm »

Will try to encase the damn thing entirely in spawned obsidian. Though the way dfhack works, I'm not sure if the elevation will entirely allow it.

save, quit.

Find the appropriate raw.  Make it aquatic/remove flier tag.  This will make it fall, and drown when you load your game.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »

What, you don't have ANY military?

[waves hi nicely] Hi, I'm a fan of your posts.

Anyhow, sure I do have some military, but as you can see it's mostly been about construction. (The fort is only 4 years old and I specifically turned off invaders because I just wanted this one for a showpiece). The real problem is that I have several base openings due to chimneys, water intake, and exterior livestock meadows. That, and I didn't realize there were massive building destroyers who could take out several floor grates, etc,etc.

What can I say? It caught me entirely by surprise, because I thought the game was set to not send me things larger than the largest dragons. My military consists of limited numbers to hold off ground based front door choke-points, not flying neighborhood crashers. :P

save, quit.

Find the appropriate raw.  Make it aquatic/remove flier tag.  This will make it fall, and drown when you load your game.

I'll get a save to work from, then try multiple methods. I wouldn't mind having the bastard encased on all sides with obsidian.

Please don't quote me.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 04:40:12 pm »

I have several base openings due to chimneys, water intake, and exterior livestock meadows. That, and I didn't realize there were massive building destroyers who could take out several floor grates, etc,etc.

You need to guard your thermal exhaust ports more thoroughly.
/人‿‿人\

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 04:43:18 pm »

Giant eagles used to be very dangerous but not anymore - a shot to its leg or wing makes it fall from the sky and into the ground then it will proceed to attempt to fly up again, pass out and smash into the ground once more, assuming Rocs follow this behavior you just need 2 dozen crossbows and bolts to go along with them of any material.
Pages: [1] 2