Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: brewing suggestion  (Read 1829 times)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
brewing suggestion
« on: August 17, 2006, 01:03:00 pm »

Toady, can you please, please, please let our dwarves make a 'cask' or 'keg' or something in the carpentry shop, which the beer, ale, etc. will then be stored in?

There always comes a point where the booze runs out and work slows to a crawl, only I can't actually get anymore alcohol made because everytime I produce a barrel someone sticks food in it.

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: brewing suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 01:17:00 pm »

Even if not that, maybe tag barrels for a certain type of storage.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:45:00 pm »

I think the tag idea came up earlier, and it sounds good, but where's the interface for it?  Something off of barrel construction?  As soon as the barrel is completed, it's up for grabs.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:00:00 pm »

depends on whether you want to tag an individual barrel... or simply assign x barrels to this lot and y barrels to that lot.

or even percentages.

Curiousepic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »

Actually I'd really like to see a "keg" building type, that you can position in various locations to allow quicker drinking, like a well but for booze.

tvsian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 03:20:00 pm »

A screen where you can set a minimum (and maximum?) number of barrels might work.

Say you have 10 barrels already, 2 filled with booze and 8 with food.  You could go into the screen and set the minimum alcohol barrels to 5. The existing 2 would be tagged, then the next 3 empties (either a food barrel that gets emptied or a newly built one), but everything else would be up for grabs for whatever is needed.

Could apply that system to other things if you wanted to REALLY micromanage, like setting a number of spaces in a stone pile for x type of stone, but that'd probably be overkill.

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: tvsian ]

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 03:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Curiousepic:
<STRONG>Actually I'd really like to see a "keg" building type, that you can position in various locations to allow quicker drinking, like a well but for booze.</STRONG>

If you could put water in them as well that would be nice. You could build a well farm closer to the cliff face where it's less likely to have frogmen and stuff jump out (right?), and have some peasant cart the water over to by your mining operation way over to the right or something.

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »

This sounds stupid, but what about a Q menu for barrels for what they accept? You might be able to combine the stockpile, barrel, and other container stuff into one interface like that or something. Just an idea.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 04:29:00 pm »

Maybe the Z > Kitchen menu should keep track of how many barrels you have in use, and allow to change minimum/maximum useage for things?

Maurog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 04:50:00 pm »

Something like a global option would be nice.

- Dwarves put food into barrels.
- Dwarves put food into barrels when they run out of storage space.
- Dwarves don't put food into barrels.

And maybe even...
- Dwarves empty barrels from food.
but that's probably overdoing it.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 05:10:00 pm »

Huzzah! Finally managed to get a barrel made and brew up a barrel of strawberry wine before those storage happy BASTARDS stuffed food in it.

Now let me go whip my carpenter and plant guy into action and see if we can repeat this success.

I like macbony's idea, btw, and also agree it would be cool to be able place barrels/kegs/whatever of water around the place. They'd make for a lot of busy work since you'd have to have someone running back and forth to fill them with buckets, but it would be nice to have a halfway convenient source of water that didn't put my workers in danger of being raped by toadmen.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 08:54:00 pm »

How about a 'consolidate containers'-type job that has dwarves move as much as possible around so as to use the minimum amount of barrels or bins?  I frequently seem to end up with multiple food barrels, each containing only a handful of the same type of food.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

itylus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 09:21:00 pm »

I'm in favour of the OP suggestion, to just have a new container type for liquids which is different to the container type for solid food. The thing of distributing kegs around the dungeon sounds nice but not really essential. But being unable to brew any alcohol without first making five or six barrels in the hopes one of them will be left alone is sort of frustrating. Actually, it makes me wonder... in Adventurer mode, you can carry a skin of water around to keep yourself from dehydration - could the dwarves learn to do the same thing?

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 09:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by itylus:
<STRONG>in Adventurer mode, you can carry a skin of water around to keep yourself from dehydration - could the dwarves learn to do the same thing?</STRONG>

There's an option to make military squads carry their own water, but I don't know how well that works, if at all. Or what container they'd want.

frumiousj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 09:50:00 pm »

With kegs in, we can build taverns for the dwarves to hang out in.
Pages: [1] 2