Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Family limit size  (Read 765 times)

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Family limit size
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:07:56 pm »

Married dwarves pump out one baby per year, without failure, right? If you get a couple married in their 20s or 30s, they have a solid 120+ years before old age could kill them. Will they keep having a kid every year for over a century, or is there some sort of maximum size for families?

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
  • ahh, its raining goblin blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Family limit size
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »

it depends on your settings, cause you can change the maximum amount of babies per adult, so if you set 0:1, you can never have babies.

also i don't think theres a limit, i have a family migration wave, around 12 children, all bros and sis
ahh, its raining goblin blood everwere

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:19:48 pm »

In data/init/d_init.txt there is a setting:

This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]

The default setting is very high, meaning you can have a lot of babies.  I've been setting mine to 40:40 (max 40 kids, and also not more than 40% of my number of adults).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:07:44 pm »

I've commented before that it would be nice to be able to cap the number of living children any given female could have.  It's better now with most of the migrants arriving already married, but in earlier versions the first couple who married could already be up to 16 children before half of the fortress even found lovers.  When the child cap kicked in, some of the married couples were stuck with zero offspring.  Since I wanted to propagate multiple clans, this was a problem to me back then.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Xune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 04:12:35 pm »

It would be interesting to see fertility rates for female dwarves drop as their skills (education and independance) increased.

Also, does anyone know if pregnant dwarves eat and drink more? Perhaps this could act as a limiter to birth rates during world gen and fortress mode.