Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: aquifer in mixed biomes  (Read 999 times)

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
aquifer in mixed biomes
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:25:55 am »

I just started an embark with two biomes, one of them is supposed to have an aquifer, the other one not. But both according to dfhack 'prospect all' and to my own digging in the aquifer biome I seem to have no aquifer at all. It is a 4x4 embark and the 4 central squares are all in the no aquifer biome.
I think I had this effect before, you either have an aquifer everywhere on the map (apart from rocklayers and possibly at different z-levels) or you have none at all. Is this a bug?
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
Re: aquifer in mixed biomes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:55:59 am »

I can double check it if you want to send the save?
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:41:04 am »

I've had a half-cursed, half-peaceful map that had an aquifer under it.  Stretched across both sides and multiple levels.  Still poking it to find a way through that doesn't involve the screwpump trick

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 11:47:42 am »

I usually embark across multiple biomes but all have aquifers most of the time. The aquifers are not uniform and often have gaps at the interface between biomes. If you have only one chunk of the 4x4 be aquifer and the rest be no aquifer, then I could see having absolutely no aquifer. The opposite would also be true.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:29:30 am »

I think the pattern looked something like this
xxxx
axxx
axxa
aaaa
where x represents the biome without aquifer and a the biome with aquifer. So the aquifer should only be on the edges but there is enough area for it so that it should appear somewhere.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite