Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange material artifact weapons and their effectiveness  (Read 2931 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Strange material artifact weapons and their effectiveness
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:07:55 am »

So of course we know how effective standard materials are and for which weapon, but what about the mooded weapons? I just had a possessed (Armok damn possessions) dwarf make a bone battle axe, and I was wondering how effective it would be compared to a no-quality iron battle axe.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Strange material artifact weapons and their effectiveness
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:27:58 am »

not very effective, bone isn't very sharp. Even being an artifact won't be that much help, is my guess.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:39:58 am »

Wonder what material would be best for weapons (except for candy). Glass, obsidian, shell? Anyone knows?

Also thought about the effectiveness of obsidian sword traps, how good are they?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:44:06 pm by Findulidas »
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 06:41:49 am »

Imagine getting hit by 10 rock clubs with small speckles of glass on them at once.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:01:58 am »

Artifact bone spear versus Rutherer: tearing fat, tearing muscle, tearing apart the fat, but not a weapon you'd really want in combat. I think the Rutherer eventually died of exhaustion instead of blood loss or simply being killed.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:30:28 am »

Wonder what material would be best for weapons (except for [CENSORED]). Glass, obsidian, shell? Anyone knows?

Also thought about the effectiveness of obsidian sword traps, how good are they?
spoilers, man.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 08:32:05 am »

Slade warhammers ftw
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 08:43:31 am »

Wonder what material would be best for weapons (except for [CENSORED]). Glass, obsidian, shell? Anyone knows?

spoilers, man.

Adamantine isn't a spoiler. You can see the name in the relevent workshops before you even find it. It's just what's
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 10:19:58 am »

I also happen to have a bone mace and a bone shield from moods. Any idea how good those'll be?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 11:49:30 am »

Bone weapons are good for dishing out ass-kickings but in a real combat situation you'd be better off with copper. They get bonuses to accuracy and hit harder but you're unlikely to sever anything or damage most organs. 

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 11:51:38 am »

I also happen to have a bone mace and a bone shield from moods. Any idea how good those'll be?
The mace is basically crap; bone is a very lightweight material, so it makes very bad blunt weapons. Due to its bad other stats, bone may even be worse for blunt weapons than adamantine is.

The shield is significantly better, though. Shields block just as well no matter what they're made of, and artifacts get a significant bonus to that (even more than masterworks). The only reason why it's not as good as it might be is because shields are also sometimes used as blunt weapons with shield bash attacks, and bone is bad for blunt weapons. On the other hand, it's so lightweight that low-strength soldiers may be more capable of moving quickly while carrying it. This rarely matters for more experienced soldiers, though, so give it to recruits until they skill up.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 12:04:57 pm »

Imagine getting hit by 10 rock clubs with small speckles of glass on them at once.

Bit more intense than that.

It'd be more like getting shredded by ten swords that are sharper than steel could ever hope to be.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:39:16 am »

i found gold recently, very early on an embark, so i made some gold bars,
was going to make gold crafts to sell to the first caravan,
but then Urist McPosessed grabs all my gold and makes a solid gold warhammer

uh?

is this useful?

Azhtabak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 07:47:19 am »

Highly. Warhammers work mostly on material weight; silver is the best metal that you can deliberately make one out of, IIRC. Gold and platinum warhammers are really heavy, so they're excellent weapons, especially coupled with the fact that they're artifacts. Plus, they tend to be ridiculously valuable.