Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Thread necromancy hatred?  (Read 11514 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Thread necromancy hatred?
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:44:37 pm »

Just a random question here. Why do many forums dislike thread necromancy and often lock the offending threads? I can't understand why... One forum I've went to strangely tells you to 'not necromance' and also 'use existing threads' but locks threads that are raised from the dead even if it was for consolidation of threads >.>

--Confused Skyru

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Thread necromancy hatred?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:48:05 pm »

For a thread to die, it must have reached a point at which all involved in the discussion became so uninterested in continuing it that they just stopped. Thus having someone a year later dig it back up, often starting exactly where everyone left off and often expecting or implying they want a response from the same people originally involved in the thread is both annoying to those who stopped posting as well as the annoyance of taking up space on the first few pages which would be better occupied by more relevant discussions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:48:50 pm »

Rarely does the bumper have anything relevant to add.

Personally I'm fine with thread necromancy if it serves a point. See: The adventure time thread being bumped after ~3 months of inactivity.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 01:56:59 am »

Yep. Threads in which the necro is welcome/adds something new generally stay up. But when someone bumps a year-old thread to essentially say "I concur", it isn't unreasonable for people to be annoyed, especially if there were negative thoughts or emotions tied up in a debate that was eventually dropped.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:02:29 am »

Indeed, there are plenty of times in which one can bring up an old thread for good reasons. For example, I brought up my "Shit, let's be X" thread two or three times after it died because I found new and interesting polls to yell at each other over, and it went on for 30 or so more pages before dying again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 02:22:19 am »

Also, even if there's a legitimate reason to necro a thread, it's often better to just have a clean start at it. There's no particular reason any and all discussion of a thing needs to go in the same ancient, unwieldy thread that was devoted to it in ancient times by a people long since vanished.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 02:28:12 am »

Okay, discussion over, everyone stop posting and we'll necro this a year from now. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 02:47:51 am »

A young student dared to ask a question of their aged and learned master:  "Is it not a right action to do a bad thing if the good outweighs the bad?"

The master replied:  "One who need ask that is not an accurate scale for such things."

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 10:43:48 am »

I've found it to be quite ridiculous how angry people get over these things. I mean its partially understandable when it's a topic for writing since a necro fools people into thinking a story updated, but the way people just get so angry and pile insults and hate upon the people who did that is just so petty and unreasonable in my opinion. I am really glad that don't really care about it that much over here. If it didn't, we wouldn't have the schrodinger's Elves of Amanereli.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 11:33:18 am »

How do people necromancify threads anyway? It's like they're intentionally going through the archives, searching for the perfect thing to raise from the dead for basically no reason, knowing that nobody really cares anymore. They'd find their topic- tens and hundreds of years old. Cobwebs and bones litter the posts and the references and jokes have long since become unfunny. The OP itself tells of an age long forgotten, a story worth telling at the time but no longer holds it's value. The necromancer looks upon these crumbling posts and then eagerly writes their post...

"LOL, nice job!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 11:36:11 am »

-snip-

Someone posts in a topic, goes offline for quite a while. In the mean time, that thread evolves into a long discussion lasting several pages, until it reaches the final station and all depart.

Then that one person left on the train wakes up, not realizing the time and restarts the train when it's already on the end of the tracks.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 11:45:03 am »

Also, people who actually use the search function.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 12:54:30 pm »

Argh, people who don't use the search bar.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 01:13:29 pm »

Because this is the internet, a nation populated almost exclusively by socially backwards assholes.  I've observed many instances of a person getting enraged by someone necro-ing a thread, then going on to list a plethora of threads another person should have necroed instead of starting a new one.  It's all a bit pathetic really.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 02:00:57 pm »

Note to self: necro this thread in a year.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2 3 4