Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Derailed into Sabers vs katanas vs rapiers  (Read 45580 times)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I love marksdwarves, so much.
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2012, 05:29:19 pm »

Well, I don't know, I'm not a fencer.

First you'd have to define what a longsword is. I've seen it used for any greatswords (another vague term), bastard sword and any one-handed blade longer than a short sword.

Rapier is fast but any of the other swords I mentioned isn't going to be a whole lot slower either.

I think it's a pretty silly question to ask, really. :P No time to actually think of an answer.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2012, 05:37:38 pm »

Well, I don't know, I'm not a fencer.

First you'd have to define what a longsword is. I've seen it used for any greatswords (another vague term), bastard sword and any one-handed blade longer than a short sword.

Rapier is fast but any of the other swords I mentioned isn't going to be a whole lot slower either.

I think it's a pretty silly question to ask, really. :P No time to actually think of an answer.

well for this excersise, one handed longer than a short sword.  i figure if a legendary wrestler can kill hordes of anything with a backpack, i think its irrevelant to think of what is a more proficient killing machine. there is no "best" i have to assume, as its not the size, but how you use it
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2012, 05:48:07 pm »

I'd hand that fight over to the rapier in one-on-one combat. Lighter blade=faster movement assuming equal skill.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2012, 05:59:21 pm »

it's not just about weight, stabbing is faster than slashing, and a rapier is better at stabbing

edit: relevant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r7VWIQCHvM
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:01:29 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2012, 06:05:34 pm »

but the hit and run tactics of the vikings and the mongols make them a fierce attacking force, since we went from df, to argument, to AOE, and i am ok with this. lets start another argument.

rapiers versus longswords. people argue rapiers because of the presicion and speed one can fight at, but isnt it true that a sufficiently trained longswordsman can fight just as fast as a rapier user, and not have to rely on only piercing to get the job done?

When you talk about how good a weapon is, basing how good they are on the skill of the wielder isn't a good idea, otherwise you end up with situations like *so and so* was one of the greatest swordsman to exist, therefore his shoes were superior.

Regarding rapiers, things like rapiers are the result of engineering in the Roman science of stabbing people. They realised when you hacked at someone, you had to get through armour, and even then, you'd have to get through bone, and even then, you were not likely going to inflict a mortal wound with the first blow. Yet a stab wound that barely made it inches through the body could be a mortal wound. A rapier isn't flawed because of it's specialization, when it's specialization results in it become an extremely deadly weapon.
Katanas are the other end of the spectrum, where they were valued for going absolutely bonkers with chopping limbs off. Gotta love those wacky samurai and their three-head antics.
Also, define longswords.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2012, 06:22:59 pm »

Katanas are the other end of the spectrum, where they were valued for going absolutely bonkers with chopping limbs off. Gotta love those wacky samurai and their three-head antics.

Katanas are only really good versus no/little armour opponents, they are no better at cutting than any other curved sword (curved swords are better at cutting then straight swords, at the cost of much poorer if any stabbing ability). Katanas are also very brittle (in part do to poor iron ore quality in japan forcing certain harding techniques onto the blade) meaning that a katana can't parry a blow from a standard european sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpEC38sL3iU&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hy_A9vjp_s&feature=relmfu

Basically a katana is a curved harded sword of no exceptional quality. Additionally european swords/general warfare tech was centuries ahead of Japan (non-isolated + higher quality base resources does that).

If you want a sword that can live up to the mythos of the Katana you'd want a damascus steel blade, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Derailed into Sabers vs katanas vs rapiers
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2012, 06:43:38 pm »

Im renaming this now.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2012, 06:56:47 pm »

-snip-

The wealthiest samurai wore steel segmented armour. Katanas were made to cut through this.
For the best swords, prisoners would be lined up, and a katana would be passed through their necks, the best sword being called a three-head sword, for reasons obvious.
I already said both the rapier and the katana were specializations - one had very few cutting capabilities, the other had very few stabbing capabilities. Using a scalpel to hammer in a nail is defunct for again, obvious reasons.
As for the whole material argument:
1. Those hardening techniques, are called making steel.
2. They became very good at making them both sharp and strong. With early swords they noticed that some of them were brittle and could deform or even break. So eventually they started getting good with alloys, forging the cutting edge of the katana with high carbon steel, supported by a heavier low carbon alloy at the back, before getting hammered, folded and so on repeatedly, giving them their distinct prism-ed shape.
This made the Katana, very, very tough, and very, very advanced. I'd say that counts as an exceptionally made sword.

ONTO THE PARRYING POINT.

You don't know much about swords then.

1. When parrying, the heavy back end was used to parry.
2. A standard European sword was not meant for cutting regardless.
3. >Mythbusters tried swinging a freaking viking's broadsword at a Katana replica, and neither shattered. Your argument is blunt.

And up until around the age of enlightenment, the East was far more advanced in fields of warfare, a feudal country tends to do that.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2012, 07:24:26 pm »

Sorry for the derail but the ridiculous fake mythos surrounding the katana is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.
The wealthiest samurai wore steel segmented armour. Katanas were made to cut through this.
False, you don't cut through steel plates, because thats stupid, you stab, katana's where used to cut between the plates.

For the best swords, prisoners would be lined up, and a katana would be passed through their necks, the best sword being called a three-head sword, for reasons obvious.
Its easy to cut through unarmored people, especially the neck, any thin, I repeat thin, not sharp, fast moving metal object can do that.

As for the whole material argument:
1. Those hardening techniques, are called making steel.
2. They became very good at making them both sharp and strong. With early swords they noticed that some of them were brittle and could deform or even break. So eventually they started getting good with alloys, forging the cutting edge of the katana with high carbon steel, supported by a heavier low carbon alloy at the back, before getting hammered, folded and so on repeatedly, giving them their distinct prism-ed shape.
This made the Katana, very, very tough, and very, very advanced. I'd say that counts as an exceptionally made sword.

Shows you don't know anything about forging, good work. There are a million different hardening/forging techniques, not related to making steel, katana's primarily use folding to help remove impurites, a technique used basically around the world.

Also "tough" means doesn't bend, which means brittle, in the real world you don't get a benefit without a cost 99% of the time.

ONTO THE PARRYING POINT.

You don't know much about swords then.

1. When parrying, the heavy back end was used to parry.
2. A standard European sword was not meant for cutting regardless.
3. >Mythbusters tried swinging a freaking viking's broadsword at a Katana replica, and neither shattered. Your argument is blunt.

I have done several research projects in ancient weapons, also me and my friends discuss them occasionally, engineers tend to like technology even if its primitive. Ya that myth busters episode had me face palming the entire way through for how horribly bad it was, it's hard to watch shows aimed at the masses when you actually know the bulk of the science behind things.

And up until around the age of enlightenment, the East was far more advanced in fields of warfare, a feudal country tends to do that.

East (China/India/Most of Asia) and Japan are 2 entirely different things until recently in history, even so you are still wrong. Europe was not isolated so even with the loss of information during things such as the dark ages, most of that knowledge was actually preserved in adjacent regions like the middle east.
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
Re: Derailed into Sabers vs katanas vs rapiers
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2012, 07:42:57 pm »

Who cares about swords?  :P Most medieval combatants were using a spear anyways. Swords were, for a large part, a status symbol. Heck, the samurai, known these days for their swords, for the most part used bows in battle. Later, spears. Hyping the sword was an (if I recall correctly) Edo period thing.

Also, marksdwarves are awesome. I tend to have one heavily armored squad to hold the enemies in place, and several marksdwarf squads to do the actual kill work.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2012, 07:47:10 pm »

Who cares about swords?  :P Most medieval combatants were using a spear anyways. Swords were, for a large part, a status symbol. Heck, the samurai, known these days for their swords, for the most part used bows in battle. Later, spears. Hyping the sword was an (if I recall correctly) Edo period thing.
Yup, you are 100% correct, which is one of the many things that fuels my pet peeve about the katana.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2012, 07:47:51 pm »

fuck yeah, lets derail this to marksdwarves again

they...shoot stuff, fuck yeah

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2012, 07:51:57 pm »

Sorry for the derail but the ridiculous fake mythos surrounding the katana is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.
False, you don't cut through steel plates, because thats stupid, you stab, katana's where used to cut between the plates.

I think you'd better answer this.

thats stupid

Hardened high-carbon steel, hammered to a fine point, versus regular steel.
Now, my knowledge on the moh scale might be a bit rough after a while, but I do seem to remember the fact that hard things cut softer things, no?
And the amount of psi on the plates, would it not be, I don't know, quite high? Now are you suggesting that knowing that, a few centimeters of steel can disobey the laws of physics and the testaments of history?

And I don't think you needed to point out that last bit. It's heavily redundant. Pretty much every style of fighting against armoured oponents focuses on hitting exposed areas - the people who argued about agincourt can testify to this.

We're not arguing on the people wielding the sword, we're arguing about the actual sword. Stick to that if you really want to continue these quarrels.

Its easy to cut through unarmored people, especially the neck, any thin, I repeat thin, not sharp, fast moving metal object can do that.

>But not against centimeters of steel
>Romans say otherwise
>These were the best swords they made, in retrospect it was probably unfair to judge the whole by the extreme. But apparently you don't mind, being an expert on debunking Katana and all.

Shows you don't know anything about forging, good work. There are a million different hardening/forging techniques, not related to making steel, katana's primarily use folding to help remove impurites, a technique used basically around the world.

Also "tough" means doesn't bend, which means brittle, in the real world you don't get a benefit without a cost 99% of the time.

We're talking about Katanas. There were flaws.
There were ways around the flaws.
You just repeated them.
Without adding anything.
At all.
Or talking about Katanas.
Also that last sentence has little cohesion.
Do I have to repeat it?
Front - brittle, hard
Back - soft, heavy and more flexible
Cuts out the dilemmas highlighted.
It's what makes the katana so specialized.

tough
Adjective:   
(of a substance or object) Strong enough to withstand adverse conditions or rough or careless handling.

Don't even go into an argument about the definitions of adjectives. It is the second lowest form of arguing - arguing without addressing the points about Katanas.

I have done several research projects in ancient weapons, also me and my friends discuss them occasionally, engineers tend to like technology even if its primitive. Ya that myth busters episode had me face palming the entire way through for how horribly bad it was, it's hard to watch shows aimed at the masses when you actually know the bulk of the science behind things.

>"Engineer"
>Steel doesn't cut steel

ENOUGH WITH THE RHETORIC ALREADY.

This is not how you argue. If you're basing your argument on debasing the character of your opponent, damn have you stooped to the lowest of the lows. For all you know, I could be God. Infallible e.t.c e.t.c, everyone on the internet can make their own image as they like - this should never affect the strength of an argument any more than celebrity endorsement. Nought.

East (China/India/Most of Asia) and Japan are 2 entirely different things until recently in history, even so you are still wrong. Europe was not isolated so even with the loss of information during things such as the dark ages, most of that knowledge was actually preserved in adjacent regions like the middle east.

I was talking about China. And solely China. I never talked about Europe beyond saying longswords were not meant to be used for cutting.
You quite literally ignored all of my points.

And do you know what's the worst thing about it?

I'm not even arguing to say Katanas are some kind of godly-all slaying stick meant to cause the end of the world.

I'm arguing about Katanas being specialized for cutting.

That's it.

That's all there ever was.

Good job getting zealousness in the mix ullrich.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2012, 07:54:55 pm »

woo! this train ain't never going back!  :D  and i love the unified internet katana theory (title needs work) the theory that you can bring up katanas anywhere and have people arguing for hours. its entertaining, and allows a reliable shortcut into learning about history and metallurgy. kudos, gentlemen
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2012, 07:57:55 pm »

All you need is one person who hates x and one person who hates y, and then the internet hate machine does the rest ^_^

Though this is definitely an odd case, to say the least.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16