Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Derailed into Sabers vs katanas vs rapiers  (Read 45520 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Derailed into Sabers vs katanas vs rapiers
« on: April 07, 2012, 10:54:04 pm »

In my current fort, I been getting unhumanly large amounts of marksdwarves, so when a army of keas started stealing my metal, I sent them out for some hunting.

I watched a small squad of keas, THE ENTIRE SCREEN FILLED WITH BOLTS. The entire area near the Keas got shot full of holes! Every kea got shot down, and this was 8 Zlevels down. Dozens of bolts were shot almost at once, and all just to kill three keas! Dwarves love to shed blood!

Im so giving those guys a bath-house.

Derailed into Bows Vs Crossbows

It got derailed from the derailment into a derailment of swords! Curse you KodKod!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:44:24 pm by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I love marksdwarves, so much.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:01:07 pm »

It has started raining kea blood!
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:01:42 pm »

I'd prefer bowdwarves personally.

Being an archer myself, nothing would be more satisfying than watching my legendary archer peg an FB in the left eye at 100 yards.

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:02:59 pm »

Being an archer myself, nothing would be more satisfying than watching my legendary archer peg an FB in the left eye at 100 yards.
That sounds like elf-talk boy
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:07:15 pm »

That sounds like elf-talk boy

Not really. Bows have a much higher rate of fire. A longbow with a 100+ pound draw (which will easily go through steel armour) can fire 6 shots a minute. A crossbow can fire, at best, 2 or 3.

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:12:54 pm »

6 shots? Boy, you need to learn the thumb draw and quick draw.
Skip to 1:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqqStGeYsj8
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 11:13:03 pm »

I must admit that I allow my dwarves to use bows. C'mon, I'm a Brit, they're an important part of my heritage.

English and Welsh longbowmen were amongst the most lethal forces on any medieval battlefield, and they made crossbowmen and regular archers look like children playing with nerf guns.

Battle of Agincourt and all that, eh what? Toodle pip.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 11:22:21 pm »

I must admit that I allow my dwarves to use bows. C'mon, I'm a Brit, they're an important part of my heritage.

English and Welsh longbowmen were amongst the most lethal forces on any medieval battlefield, and they made crossbowmen and regular archers look like children playing with nerf guns.

Battle of Agincourt and all that, eh what? Toodle pip.

Yes but dwarfs dont look nearly as good with bows.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 11:25:23 pm »

Have you ever *shot* a high power long bow? Not a recurve bow, a proper English LONG BOW. They average draw weight is about 120-150 pounds. A good archer might get off ten shots a minute, but not for long. In proper war, if you got off 6 a minute you were considered amazing.

We're talking about bows with a higher draw weight than some people weigh. They are no laughing matter. My hunting bow is around 80 pound draw and it'll kill a bear.

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 11:31:59 pm »

Have you ever *shot* a high power long bow? Not a recurve bow, a proper English LONG BOW. They average draw weight is about 120-150 pounds. A good archer might get off ten shots a minute, but not for long. In proper war, if you got off 6 a minute you were considered amazing.

We're talking about bows with a higher draw weight than some people weigh. They are no laughing matter. My hunting bow is around 80 pound draw and it'll kill a bear.
bows are all well and good, but they promote undwarflike behavior. such as surviving
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 11:32:29 pm »

...What if the bear had steel armor?

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 11:37:29 pm »

...What if the bear had steel armor?

I'd be running. The arrows would cause it a lot of pain, but not enough to knock it out.

80 pound draw will take most unarmoured animals, but to get through steel armour and be lethal you need well over 100 pound draw unless your only a few yards away.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 11:44:14 pm »

I never give my dwarves any kind of bow for the simple reason that I can't convienently replace the ammo.
Sure I can buy arrows from traders, Unless i'm on an island or glacier, But i'm unlikely to get masterwork steel arrows from the elves am i?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 11:48:54 pm »

I never give my dwarves any kind of bow for the simple reason that I can't convienently replace the ammo.
Sure I can buy arrows from traders, Unless i'm on an island or glacier, But i'm unlikely to get masterwork steel arrows from the elves am i?

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BOW]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS]
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 11:54:07 pm »

What he said. Not hard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16