Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you think this fairly represents Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 3158 times)

Pharaun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you think this fairly represents Dwarf Fortress?
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:17:25 pm »

Too many people are unwilling to take the plunge into the madness that is DF2012, so I'm planning on turning this into a gif or illustrated comic and posting it to memebase where the attention it garners may or may not help get Dwarf Fortress out there and known. Please, if you see anything that you think should be altered, let me know. ____ represents a new frame.

Here's the draft of what I've got so far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This draft is currently incomplete.

I'll post a WIP gif when I've got something tangible.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:44:34 pm by Pharaun »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think this fairly represents Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:17:40 am »

You should include pictures of dwarves being killed by reanimated butchered yaks.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:08:59 am »

You could leave trolls and spammers out of your opening sentence
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:41:56 am »

Most people that would be interested in a game like DF shouldn't need a huge amount of prodding.  We don't need people to make huge spiels and proselytize on behalf of Toady.  The best way to get people into the game is to just run a succession game or a Let's Play on whatever forums you post on.  Set a good example.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 04:36:46 am »

The community at memebase that comments aren't the brightest people around. If they're not interested in DF and they have no intention or motive to push on to learn the game then they would probably quit in a few minutes of trying.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:04:43 am »

Most people that would be interested in a game like DF shouldn't need a huge amount of prodding.  We don't need people to make huge spiels and proselytize on behalf of Toady.  The best way to get people into the game is to just run a succession game or a Let's Play on whatever forums you post on.  Set a good example.

yeah

Also if I saw that huge comic thing or whatever I wouldn't even read it; I'd probably skim through the pictures and yawn a little and then carry about my business of playing 40d. There's nothing that really could make me read it unless it was an actual story. Especially not the hook you gave.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:27:02 am »

Explaining DF to someone using pictures is really difficult because most of the action is transferred by announcements. Adventure mode combat pretty much consists of moving towards an enemy and reading the combat reports. You can't really display movements or actions in fortress mode without turning the comic into a wall of text, either.
I think something nice to look at would be some before-and-after pictures of battles, some visualizer pictures of the great megaprojects and maybe some fan art of famous dwarfs.

You should mention that DF is completely free and that it's pretty much a one-man show.
And keep it short and simple. The attention span of the average memebase person isn't very long.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 11:37:53 am »

In my experience the best way to get the real essence of DF is one of the more epic let's plays. If you show them the minutiae they'll think it's a boring sim game, if you show them a combat report they'll think you're a psycho, if you try to describe it they'll be confused and terrified by your association with the self contained culture of Bay 12. Let them read the story of Boatmurdered and they'll be downloading before you've finished the intro.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 12:46:25 pm »

Code: [Select]
(rageface of thinking dude)

Don't saturate it with memes you have no understanding of, which you add nothing to. Plus, a Dwarf would probably be more appropriate ☺

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 03:35:08 pm »

Code: [Select]
(rageface of thinking dude)

Don't saturate it with memes you have no understanding of, which you add nothing to. Plus, a Dwarf would probably be more appropriate ☺
*snrk*

Capn's right, there's no need to get all evangelical about this. If you want to introduce DF somewhere, just start a succession game (or at least a solo LP) on the forum or forum substitute. DF's biggest draw to anyone who isn't familiar with roguelikes is the storytelling potential. Just show them that through example, and those that are interested will be drawn in.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU