Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: MMO pricing models  (Read 6352 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MMO pricing models
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 08:56:29 pm »

I do not play games that require monthly fees. They make the devs less money, and I end up paying more money then I would with microtransactions.

That said, I enjoy microtransactions if they are kept away from gameplay. Pay-2-win doesn't work with me. If microtransactions make you look unique, less of a hassle, or decrease the time you need to spend to do a task, that's fine by me.

Also, I hate the Spiral Knights type of microtransaction system. "Well... you are kinda limited on what you can do each day, BUT, with just a swipe of your credit card...."

"No."

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 09:00:34 pm »

I strongly dislike monthly payment systems on MMOs for so many reasons. I can excuse it if the game is A: Good and B: The client didn't cost me $50 + $xx for expansions. Seriously, it boggles my mind how companies can get away with that shit if they are already charging you monthly to access game content. Excuse my language, but it's something I really feel strongly about. Free to play models aren't all great either, but I've seen it put into fair practice in regards to the player population. It does have the side-effect of making it easy for bot-farmers to do their thing, but I see that as more of an issue with the genre itself and not the payment model (There are botters on your premium servers anyway). I also don't care that monthly payments sometimes feel like an obligation- like you were too busy to play during a given month and it feels like you may as well not have paid for it.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 05:42:22 am »

My favourite model would be a one-off payment, where you buy the game, and it comes with DLCs. It encourages the devs to keep on developing, and I feel no rush when I play the games.

I also don't mind paying for looks as a one-off too, games with microtransactions that give you temporary items are bleh, too. It just goes to show how worthless your money is, and how lazy they are to make new items to impress you and your wallet.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 06:23:40 am »

Well here is what I think of the current payment methods:

P2P (WoW): The pay every month method I feel is solid because it helps for server costs and helps the devs grow the game even if the playerbase doesn't. But I seriously hate the fact that you are pressed to play just that game and grind in it for a month, just because your forked over your money for it. Still, easily the best method because it doesn't feel like you are being ripped off, and you are getting a growing experience as you pay, which more than makes up for the cost.

P2P with purchasable time in game (EvE online): This is probably my second favorite. This method allows players who really enjoy the game to play the game for free (assuming they can manipulate the market and make enough in game money) and those who still want to play to just do the monthly fee. However, this does come with the problem where you feel pressed to play enough so you don't have to pay. Of course, not a problem if the game is actually decent.

P2P/F2P with micro-transactions (LoTRO, LoL): Yuck. How could you hate your players so much that you feel the need to charge them every month, maybe put some expansions in, AND make the customers pay small amounts of money again for items? You would have to be crazy money hoarders for this one. Not so bad if those micro-transactions are purely cosmetic, since players can buy those at their own will, but still a bit of a money grub. I ESPECIALLY hate the games where real money means power, how is throwing money at your screen fun?

On the other hand, I feel that F2P with cosmetic micro-transactions works REALLY well for many reasons. The artists/sound/whatever team can work on the design for the cosmetic item, while the rest of the team gets ready for the next update or something. I don't see a problem with cutting the grind, or looking awesome, but I do have a problem when money means power.

F2P with subscription (Runescape): I really don't have a large problem with these, but they lack any sort of competition, due to the fact that subscribers more often than not get a huge advantage over free players. At least in something like RS, free players are seperate to members and if a member logs on to a F2P world, they have to use F2P items and areas. Definitely better options though

That is pretty much all of them. If none of the above were mentioned and are used, you are most likely doing it wrong. The only one I didn't mention was the pay once method, which is by far the greatest method, but really doesn't work for MMOs unless the creator is getting income from somewhere else. Also, I don't know any MMOs that use this method apart from GW2, which has not come out (did GW1 use this?). I'm not too sure whether this method is the way of the future, as it just isn't going to handle server costs, not to mention extra content that players will no doubt expect from an MMO.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:25:53 am by lavenders2 »
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 06:44:54 am »

I do not play games that require monthly fees. They make the devs less money, and I end up paying more money then I would with microtransactions.

That said, I enjoy microtransactions if they are kept away from gameplay. Pay-2-win doesn't work with me. If microtransactions make you look unique, less of a hassle, or decrease the time you need to spend to do a task, that's fine by me.

Also, I hate the Spiral Knights type of microtransaction system. "Well... you are kinda limited on what you can do each day, BUT, with just a swipe of your credit card...."

"No."

How do monthly fees make the devs less money?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 12:16:21 pm »

[Accurate analysis of various pricing models]
This is why I'm generally an advocate of pay every month games. If only the norm wasn't that the subscription was recurring I would play more of them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 12:31:23 pm »

I've rarely played Free To Plays that were truely free to play.

I mean they exist... but a lot either slash all fun content (Champions Online you could let me do the fun missions so I can DECIDE to pay), make the game impossible to play later (Ohh Nixon), or are just so monumental to ignore paying for.

Heck better yet... Wizards101 says it is free to play I believe... NO! So add "Free to play" that are actually outright demos but they don't tell you.

Always take "Free To Play" with a bag of salt.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:34:01 pm by Neonivek »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 12:49:03 pm »

As long as real money (other than the possible subscription) has near to zero effect on actual mechanics, I don't really mind, be it p2p or f2p (although I nearly never find a game that's actually f2p instead of allegedly so...). If it have minor effects that could reasonably be gotten without it (eve online actually is a pretty good example), I might consider depending of the game. If the "cash shops" are an important part of gameplay, I find the game abominable and wish it'd die in a fire.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 03:22:49 pm »

Yeah, my favourite model is a pay-once or free base game with areas added later made into purchasable expansions.
Income is directly proportional to customer draw AND development progress.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 04:50:25 pm »

"No."

How do monthly fees make the devs less money?

Easily. The playerbase of a free microtransaction game will be much, much larger. Those who would of paid for the game still will pay for it via microtransactions. A larger community sparks even more people to join, and the cycle continues with more paying customers then would of been accrued if you started with a smaller, monthly fee game.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 05:09:34 pm »

I prefer the old method in the Philippines back in the good old RO days. Due to most of the paying customers lacking credit cards, we had a the prepaid card system. You can buy 8 hours, 3 day, 7 days or 30 day card. Buy the 8 hours if your very casual. Buy the 3 day if you plan to play over the weekend, or buy the 7 or 30 days card if your on school break or vacation or whatever.

The best part is that it's practically everywhere so just walk to the nearest store to buy your gaming time on whatever fits your schedule.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 05:13:05 pm »

Spiral Knights doesn't even try to hide that it is just trying to rope you into buying more time.

It has achievements in the game that you cannot even get without buying it.

Lucky for me I find Spiral Knights actually sort of boring... it picked up a bit... but it is another "You move slow and bulky and the enemies take a LOT of hits to destroy" game.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 06:43:41 pm »

Easily. The playerbase of a free microtransaction game will be much, much larger. Those who would of paid for the game still will pay for it via microtransactions. A larger community sparks even more people to join, and the cycle continues with more paying customers then would of been accrued if you started with a smaller, monthly fee game.

That's pretty much entirely conjecture though... Isn't WoW the most successfull MMO from a monetary perspective? Remind me of their pricing model again. :P

Just looking through this thread it seems like most people are at best extremely warey of F2P games. It's also worth noting that games that launch with a monthly fee traditionally have better production values. There are a lot more factors that contribute to a games success, playerbase numbers, and earnings than it being F2P or not.

I certainly think certain games have a better chance of making more money with a F2P model, but to make a blanket statement that all games will just seems to be ignoring the entire history of MMOs.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 06:53:55 pm »

Everyone ripping on F2P seems to be hating on the Demo version sort of F2P, like how RuneScape is. There are games like DDO where there is a full, free to play game, levels one through twenty, no gimping done by the devs. The difference is content modules give the premium players more diverse means to reach a goal; the loot isn't ridiculous or anything, just gives you the option to avoid quests you hate. And, the game has repeatable milestones that award the premium currency, so it is possible to (and a lot of players do) unlock the premium content by playing the free stuff. That, to me, is F2P. The RuneScape sort of thing is Demo-to-Play.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 06:58:02 pm »

Everyone ripping on F2P seems to be hating on the Demo version sort of F2P, like how RuneScape is.

The issue with Demo versions of F2P is that they are dishonest.

They arn't upfront they are subversive they want you to play through the game thinking you are getting something for free where buying it is bonus... and then they just up and say "Whoops, just kidding... seriously pay us".

That is why they call the game "Free to play" instead of "It costs money but we have a trial/demo"
Pages: 1 [2] 3