Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: MMO pricing models  (Read 6342 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: MMO pricing models
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 07:10:27 pm »

Everyone ripping on F2P seems to be hating on the Demo version sort of F2P, like how RuneScape is. There are games like DDO where there is a full, free to play game, levels one through twenty, no gimping done by the devs. The difference is content modules give the premium players more diverse means to reach a goal; the loot isn't ridiculous or anything, just gives you the option to avoid quests you hate. And, the game has repeatable milestones that award the premium currency, so it is possible to (and a lot of players do) unlock the premium content by playing the free stuff. That, to me, is F2P. The RuneScape sort of thing is Demo-to-Play.

Games like DDO, which do this right, are the minority though. Thats the point everyone is making.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 07:44:53 pm »

Plus most Free To plays that arn't... call themselves free to play as a way to entice you dishonestly (as I said with more words on the last page... it being on the last page... no one will read)

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 08:06:45 pm »

Also with Puzzle Pirates, you can trade 30 in-game doubloons for a month of subscription on a subscription ocean, either by buying or trading for them. It's called coinscribing. I know that EVE does something similar, called the PLEX or something like that, although it's for an obscene amount of ISK. I'm sure it's possible, though.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 09:14:00 pm »

I should mention that DLC Quest is on sale on Desura right now for a dollar.  It makes funny but true statements on why microtransactions suck.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 12:14:14 am »

Been trying Star Trek Online's F2P model lately, and AFAIK paying doesn't give you a HUGE advantage (you do have to pay for extra slots and some other cosmetic crap). For example, you can use real money to get a slightly better ship for your level (so, once you can get a Medium Cruiser -for free, I must add-, you can instead use real currency to get a Medium Cruiser Retrofit with some extra stats). This is still only good until the next ship upgrade, so it's a bit of a leapfrogging thing.

But I haven't exactly played it too deeply, I just got about my third ship. There are probably some advantages to the Microtransactions that I haven't seen.

They DO tend to annoy you with CONSTANT messages that So and So just got a Cardassian I dunnowhat Ship Prize! (you get lots of shitty boxes every mission and have to *buy* keys to unlock them, and one of them *might* have a decent prize).
Pages: 1 2 [3]