Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bug report  (Read 2475 times)

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bug report
« on: August 17, 2006, 12:24:00 pm »

I thought I'd stop spamming on other people's threads about these, so I started a new one. If you like, you can use this thread to report other bugs, too, so it will have some use after my post.

So, in some other thread I explained about this dwarf going berserk, killing people, causing another dwarf throw a tantrum and then destroying a bridge, this killing more people and stranding three dwarves into a section of the fortress that only had had that one bridge access.

Well, first of all the previously mentioned bug went away after I saved and restarted the game. Before this the stranded Legendary miner didn't mine himself out of there despite my orders, but after I started the game again, it was fixed.

But now I noticed another bug. It looks like the guy who broke the bridge didn't get stranded, but was indeed standing on the same bridge at the time. Idiot. Because of this he fell into the chasm with another dwarf.

Anyway, destroying the bridge resulted in him getting a sentence of ~47 days in jail and it seems that the crimes in dwarven law do not expire even after the criminal is dead. Now my Sheriff is trying to find the guy, resulting in an endless spam of "Sheriff cancels Chain Animal: Could not find path" messages.

So is there any way to get the Sheriff to forget the crime or just understand that the said dwarf is somewhere on the bottom of the chasm? And honestly, the guy makes one small mistake and he's already classified as an ANIMAL! That's lawmen for you.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Bug report
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:31:00 pm »

The sheriff spam seems to be an increasingly common problem.  I'll try to get to that soon.  The only way I've heard of stopping things like this is with a ballista or a flood trap.  You could also turn off job cancel notifications, though that might impede your play depending on your style.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:53:00 pm »

Hey, I didn't think of turning them off. It doesn't really fit my playing style, but then I'll be able to see the other announcements at least.

I don't have that big of a problem with it, but as it sounds pretty simple, why not make the Sheriff check the status of the wanted prisoner every now and then, and if it's Deceased, make him cancel the prison sentence?

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »

Actually, the orders should all automatically clear on death, and should never be assigned to the dead.  It's just a flat out bug.

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 07:51:00 pm »

Here's another strange bug, I crafted up a set of full chainmail armor for one of my peasants to go hunting with. She put on all her armor, grabbed an axe and went to the well to fill her canteen for the hunt. So far so good right? Unfortunatly it seems to be a hole in the waterskin, because she has been sitting there "filling waterskin" for the last 2 days.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 08:06:00 pm »

I've had another problem, i don't know if it's really a bug or not...

I've had trouble placing buildings that need stone blocks, despite the fact that I have tons of stone blocks. It seems that they are not registering properly when they are moved to the bar/block stockpile.

I've had this problem with the Metalsmith's Forge and the Ashery, in a couple of different games.

Bobberroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 08:19:00 pm »

Here's a big one, dwarves can't find seeds that are in bags that are in barrels.

Edit: Or maybe my game is just bugged. They refuse to plant anything, even though I've checked and rechecked everything. (the farm plot set to plump helmets, the farmers to farming fields and nothing else)

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Bobberroo ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 02:40:00 am »

I've noted these down.  For the blocks, once they are safely in the piles they should appear on the build list, if they don't, that's a large problem.

For farms, if the name is redded out on the farm plot they'll skip it, but that's the only other thing that comes to mind.  Seeds in bags in barrels are pretty standard, so it's probably not that, but it could be various things, including a bug.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 07:29:00 am »

Not a bug, but it's my thread, I'll do whatever I want with it!

Because of recent violent outbreaks in my fortress (lots of tantrums due to lack of food), I got three dwarves sentenced to punishment. One of them got a 90 day sentence to prison and is serving it right now. One got some prison time too, but before he was caught, he had this great idea to hit a War dog and he's serving his time in the graveyard now.

The third one's punishment was Beating. I tried to follow him just to see him receive his punishment, but for some reason I looked away for just 5 seconds or something. During this there's an announcement of how he'd been "struck down". I paused, zoomed to him and saw the Captain of the Guard walking happily away from the corpse. The dwarf already had some damage because of the fist fights during the tantrum, but anyway I'd call that police brutality.

After this all I seized an elven trading caravan to get some more food with which I lasted until Spring. I would've bought it, but they didn't want to trade with me after I offered them something made of wood. Damn tree-huggers.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 04:21:00 pm »

The sheriff...  still seems to be broken.  On occasional his "wield suppression" flag seems to...  go away, and the beating proceeds with the weapon, the sharp part.

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 05:12:00 pm »

Something like that happened in my game, Toady.  Of course, it seemed oddly appropriate: a tantruming dwarf was beating the crap out of a noble (a couple internal injuries, a mangled lower body, and two broken limbs).  So along comes the Sheriff and chops the tantruming dwarf in half.  Problem solved.

Right before (or maybe after?) the aforementioned chopping-in-half, I got a few "Sheriff interrupted by Trapper" messages (the Trapper was the one tantruming).  Maybe that has something to do with it?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »

You know, I think that kind of brutal "death to the criminal" makes perfect sense if the criminal attacks a noble.  Doing that is an immediate death sentence.  If you are rendered unconscious, as opposed to being killed, you'd be shackled, but if you died, it wouldn't be any hair off of the chief's beard.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 06:58:00 pm »

I gotta get me a sheriff, they sound like loads of fun.

Toady, Did you get that annoying bug where trees designated to chopped down, undo their designate?

Also, sometimes the return key activates twice in one press.

*Edit*

Strange, I'm now playing on a woodland map. No de-designations go on. Maybe it's a problem on the heavy tree maps?

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]

Jim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 09:29:00 pm »

I was building a stone road for the trade depot, and one of the dwarves suspended the creation of one road.  i hit 't' and removed the road "building".  when i decided to re-build a road on the same square, the dwarf made the road, but shortly afterwards another dwarf would quickly run to the spot and remove the road section for no reason.  i'm guessing the dwarf fortress has the "remove road" command stuck on that specific tile and dwarves will automatically remove the road.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 03:08:00 am »

The road destruction command is held withing the road, so when a road goes it's gone.  Something stranger is probably happening.

I didn't directly address tree undesignation -- if somebody has a save where it is reproducible I'd like to play with it, because it never happens over here.

Pages: [1] 2