Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: (LP) Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 - Solifuge casts Reraise on Thread!  (Read 46446 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First, your new avatar is adorable.

Second, I've been slamming my head repeatedly against one of the fights in this mod and I can't for the life of me get past it. I have to say, this mod punishes rushing through jobs to get to later ones and actually seems to require certain team compositions (not necessarily certain jobs, but more durable vs more damage, long range vs short range, that type of thing) in certain battles. Time to train up some new characters in my file I guess.

Looking forward to your modmod, too Soli!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Eternal248

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

First time poster, brought here by Solifuge. I've been helping him out as well as other FFH members. Looking forward to seeing your Blue Mage in action!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to the forums!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He followed me home. Can we keep him? :)

For those of you not in the know, Eternal is the proprietor of the Final Fantasy Hacktics community. He's been exceedingly helpful in teaching me the art of RomHax, getting this dangfangled game to work right, and is also a pretty swell dude overall. Good to see you!

In other news, I'm getting settled in at the new job and with my new schedule, so we'll be booting this LP up again soon. I just have to balance the physical damage multipliers for Bravery, and find out why Blue Mages keep starting out with a bunch of random monster skills.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

First time poster, brought here by Solifuge. I've been helping him out as well as other FFH members. Looking forward to seeing your Blue Mage in action!
Welcome!

So, how long until we get a DF to FFT total conversion mod? :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Eternal248

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Welcome!

So, how long until we get a DF to FFT total conversion mod? :P

Thank you all for your warm welcomes! I'd sooner see a Space Station 13 -> FFT mod, but that's just me. :P

We have some DF fans on our forums even though I'm not a fan of it myself. It's been a while since I attempted to play it, but are there jobs in it? If so, you could probably emulate some of them in FFT. FFT's system is ridiculously flexible.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

ptw :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW...

I guess that this training tactic has been removed from the game or something huh...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hahaha that's awesome Nevyn. And it hasn't been taken out, it's just... a bit less useful because of the boss scaling.

Also, *poke blue mage poke*

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Funny... just yesterday, I took another crack at getting it to work, hoping to post a success story.

As a bit of background, all this modding requires that I modify existing jobs or skillset indexes, since I can't ADD anything to the game data itself. Luckily the game has a ton of unused job slots, enough that I could make tons of custom classes, or unlock all the Guest-only classes for regular character use. After some fiddling around, I got a Red Mage job to work just fine... I created a new job over an unused index that learns a bit of Black and White magic, and can equip some heavier weapons. I've got Blue Mages working as well (though there are some animation glitches that still need ironing out), and they can use monster skills and even learn them on being hit by the skill.

However, for a reason I still can't figure out, all Blue Mages, both old characters that existed before I started modding, and recruits fresh from the guild, start with a random assortment of Monster Lore already learned. I know recruits sometimes start with random cheap Squire skills, so I bumped JP cost for each up to 9999, and even turned off the ability to learn the skills by JP. Characters are still starting with random Monster Lore though.

In my last test, I recreated the entire Job in a new index, in case the one I'd picked for Blue Mages was being used for some other game purpose. Even when I overwrote a Guest character's skillset, which I knew wouldn't cause a data conflict, and linked that to the custom class instead, the same thing happened. It might be something innate with Monster Skills, since monsters always start with them pre-learned... but if so, why do characters seem to learn from 4 to 8 Monster Lore skills, and more or less at random?

This is continuing to be difficult. :I

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Vwoop, nothing here (click to show/hide)

Aww, I just re-read this thread and remembered how awesome all the prose (and poetry, now that I think about it) was. Looking forward to the continuation! Good luck with blue magic.

Edit11dayslater: Huh. I just looked around at the completed patches section of ffthacktics and there are some neat ones. I particularly like the one that changes chemists into butlers/housewives complete with Throw Silverware and Cafe Au Lait.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:25:40 am by Bluerobin »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: (LP) Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 - Revolutionizing Rock-Throwing since 2012!
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2012, 02:21:58 pm »

Soli, are you still working on this?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »

The hack is in an awkward state of half-completion and half-glitchiness, with so many different test-branches that it's tough to sort through them all. I have to work up the gumption to dive back in, sort everything out, and take another stab at it... which at this point probably means starting from the top again. It's kinda daunting. I also need to get back into the swing of writeups, which is daunting in entirely different ways.

I fully intend to finish this, but it takes time to psyche myself up for this sort of thing. I really want to finish this game, and finishing it is contingent on continuing this LP.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2012, 05:27:40 pm »

I know that feels, man. Know that you have my full support. And my axe.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2012, 05:32:19 pm »

You can do it, man. We believe in you!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11