Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exotic pets and trade  (Read 1852 times)

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exotic pets and trade
« on: April 06, 2012, 02:07:30 am »

Hi there guys, long time listener, first time caller.  Dwarf Fortress is my favorite video game by miles.

I recently got 34.07 and, maybe this happens a lot and I just don't play enough, but for the first time I encountered a few curious things.

1. On embark, I have full domestication with Giant Cave Swallows, Giant Cave Spiders, Giant Toads, etc.
2. The caravan brought me a Giant Cave Spider, tamed, for a few thousand dorfbucks
3. A migrant brought a named Giant Cave Swallow poult
4. Migrants also brought tamed Stray Giant Toads

I assumed this has something to do with my mountainhome, like they're situated inside the cavern or something.  Or maybe it's something new to 34.07 combined with the fact I have Exotic Animals off.  I mean, I've had Exotics turned off before, but no one has ever brought me a GCS.

Also, an armorer showed up, went fey in the first autumn, and now I have a legendary armorer and a weaponsmith that likes silver.  It's gonna be a good day, tater.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:52:30 am by Dish It Out! »

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile

I've never been lucky enough to have migrants bring Giant pets, nor an elf bringing a GCS!.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, this probably goes without saying but when my liaison came to negotiate, I requested male/female Giant Cave Spiders, male/female Giant Cave Swallows, and male/female cave crocodiles.  Never had the option to buy those.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well... maybe that's why :O

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well... maybe that's why :O

No I mean like, the caravan arrived for the first time.  On the wagon was a tame Giant Cave Spider.  I made my trades, and then when the guy asked what I wanted for Christmas next year, I told him a breeding pair of Tickle Me Swallows and Giant Cave Spiders was what I wanted.

EDIT: GCSpiders can't breed but I guess GCSwallows can.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:27:55 am by Dish It Out! »

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meh, if you want something thats tough as nails and breeds like cats, get rutherers.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile

Meh, if you want something thats tough as nails and breeds like cats, get rutherers.
[/quote

can they beat a zombie 1v1?  >:(
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile

Or maybe it's something new to 34.07 combined with the fact I have Exotic Animals off.

This is the case. .34.07 made it so that animals that your civ runs in to regularly (for dwarves, upper cavern critters, like your giant toads and cave swallows and such) obtain "general familiarity" and can be used by the civ, unless they're exotic (or something along those lines - there's still testing to be done).

You can play .34.07 without No Exotics fine, by the way. The new animal training stuff makes taming exotics regularly possible, there's no more dungeon master to worry about.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or maybe it's something new to 34.07 combined with the fact I have Exotic Animals off.

This is the case. .34.07 made it so that animals that your civ runs in to regularly (for dwarves, upper cavern critters, like your giant toads and cave swallows and such) obtain "general familiarity" and can be used by the civ, unless they're exotic (or something along those lines - there's still testing to be done).

You can play .34.07 without No Exotics fine, by the way. The new animal training stuff makes taming exotics regularly possible, there's no more dungeon master to worry about.

Cool stuff, thanks, that's very interesting.  I mean, these critters aren't even General Familiarity, it says they're fully domesticated.  And Giant Cave Spiders are exotic so if I turned off exotics then I guess I broke that piece of it.

This is pretty awesome.  I wonder if I genned a very old world that I'd be able to request just about anything from the caravan.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic pets and trade
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 05:11:15 am »

I had a breeding pair of cave crocodiles, in the first clutch that hatched, I got at least 30 hatchlings that proceeded to flood the entire place.

I deconstruced the nest boxes immediately. And had crocodile meat for a loong, long time.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 05:19:41 am »

It's probably part of taking out the exotics tag, which made the critters easier to tame and gave your dwarfs domestication level knowledge. As soon as they reach that level they should start bringing them with the caravans. This is working as intended, I'm sure. That way there is a reason to keep captured animals alive and around in your fort, to gain more knowledge about them.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 06:02:45 am »

Note that in the original RAWs, GCSs lack the [CHILD] tag so your breeding pair won't be doing much of that