Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to start with more then 7 dwarves?  (Read 2536 times)

Kernac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is it possible to start with more then 7 dwarves?
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:26:01 pm »

I was wondering if there was a way to mod the number of Dwarves you start with? 7 Dwarves isn't enough to proprely set up your fortress, and you do get migrant afterward but their skills are all random which is kinda annoying, I'd rather start with 15 dwarves that I have carefully picked skills for then get a bunch of random skilled dwarves.

Maybe some people might think the randomness is part of the fun of the game, and I have no ground to argue with that, but I'm kind of a control freak and for me it is not the best way to enjoy this game.

Also, is it also possible to mod the number of point you start with? Obviously I would need more of those if I start with more dwarves.

---Thanks in advance^^

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to start with more then 7 dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:28:31 pm »

I believe there are some utilities that allow you to embark with how ever many dwarves you'd like.

As far as embark points go, it's in advance world gen parameters. You can set it anywhere from 0 to 10000.

10000 embark points will allow you to bring weapons, food and booze for years, and plenty of animals along with plenty of skilled dwarves.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:29:20 pm »

I don't think you can get more than 7 dwarves on embark, IIRC that's hard-coded.  You can, however, change the number of points you start with on embark so that you can, if you want to, make your starting seven into super dwarves that have experience in all the skills you want them to.  Not that that necessarily would be a good thing.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:33:23 pm »

I'm pretty sure DFHack will help with this (getting as many dwarves as you want). I can't recall exactly what you have to type in to get it to work, though.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:36:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure DFHack will help with this (getting as many dwarves as you want). I can't recall exactly what you have to type in to get it to work, though.

it's a DFusion plugin. Type in dfusion, it should be listed as a command.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:59:12 pm »

There is a plugin that can change that.

Alternatively if you don't mind all of the dwarves except for the 7 being worthless peasants; I'm fairly certain if you add the [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tags you can embark with extra dwarves for a few embark points each. You just need to remember to then remove those tags once your fortress is actually embarked on.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.