Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress: Calculator Edition  (Read 7340 times)

boathouse2112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress: Calculator Edition
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:02:21 pm »

I was thinking that dwarf fortress could be put onto a programmable calculator.

Problems (it's a long one):
Tileset- the game uses a tileset, not actual ascii
Colors- could mostly be fixed by overuse of k tool and creative assignments, but still
Source code- i still don't understand the difference between source code and the files the game runs off
Coding- no way in hell i can do it ;P

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress: Calculator Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:07:20 pm »

This is totally impossible, first and formost because a calculator has nowhere near a fast enough cpu.

boathouse2112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:10:07 pm »

this is what you get when an idiot gets an idea:P

SOMEDAY THERE WILL BE A CALCULATOR WITH THE POWER OF THE DWARVES

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:36:49 pm »

So... your computer gets 20 FPS after a few years, and you want to put that on a calculator?

boathouse2112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 07:41:33 pm »

i'd hardly say the game is optimized for fps...

obviously some things would be cut out

I HAVEN'T GIVEN UP ON YOU BUDDY

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:58 pm »

Source code- i still don't understand the difference between source code and the files the game runs off
To put it in simple terms, the computer compresses the source code in order to create the files the game runs off of. You can think of the source code as being the instructions for putting together a car, and the car being the files the game runs off of. If you have the instructions then you can put together the car and make it run without any problems. This is what Toady has and edits. However we on the other hand have the car itself, which means that though we know how to make it run, we don't have the instruction booklet itself to change how it runs by taking it apart and putting it back together. We can still find out a little bit about how the car is put together by putting it through its paces, timing how long it gets to where and how much gas it uses, but we can't change those facts. If the car is a SUV we can't somehow make it get the gas mileage of a smart car without changing how the engine and interior parts run.

"Then what is modding?", you may ask. Holding on to the car analogy, you can think of modding as sort of being like customizing the seats, interior, and paint job of the car. You can change a lot about it and how it looks and acts, but at the core the car still has the same engine and other parts that can't be changed by the modders. In DF terms this means that while we have a large amount of control over the content of the game (weapons, creatures, armor, materials, civilizations, etc.), we have hardly any control over the functions of the game, such as how the combat system functions as a whole, or how water and magma flow around.

Talking about putting this on a calculator though, I'm fairly certain that my friend once took a calculator from HP and put linux on it, so it's only a small step from there to running DF. (Of course its got an LCD screen, not one of those disgusting things TI makes that have the same resolution as my cell phone.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

boathouse2112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:24:52 pm »

GREAT explanation, does a little calculator like that really have the power to run linux?

boathouse2112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:26:20 pm »

-snip-
GREAT explanation, does a little calculator like that really have the power to run linux?

boathouse2112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 08:26:48 pm »

screw quotes  >:(

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 08:44:04 pm »

You just need a calculator with 4gm of RAM, 2ghz CPU, an 1024x768 screen, and a hard drive minimum.  Ohh, and it has to run windows.  I've got one /way/ more powerful than that on my desk right now
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:50 pm »

It was made by HP, so it wasn't that bad. (I think it had 2 gigs of ram or so, keep in mind this was several years ago.) Linux ran a little slowly on it, but it did run.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 11:57:29 pm »

Here's a suggestion:
Instead of making DF for a calculator, make a mod that simulates how it would be on it. Reduced quality, color scheme (LCD black on brownish/green), and everything (the tiny window would be a pain and a half to work with however).

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 12:03:12 am »

@ Inetlolor: I could do that with the init configs. i'll show you some screens tomorrow if you like.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 01:08:41 am »

That could work. Additionally, we can always make a tileset that also simulates the pixelation the LCD screens make as well on the screens.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:12:57 am by Itnetlolor »

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 03:57:10 pm »

Well, here are the screenshots. Unfortunately, DF wouldn't let me work the resolution down to something small and calculator sized... and i had to make the "darker" colors a little closer to the green so that i could actually use the menus and not wonder which option i was trying to use.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: configs (click to show/hide)
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb
Pages: [1] 2 3