Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I update my version of Dwarf Fortress while keeping my game saves?  (Read 571 times)

raiker123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The search bar for this forum really doesn't work all that well and I really tried google and the wiki but i couldn't find anything, so I have to ask this question which has probably been asked hundreds of times before. Sorry.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

This is the forum for gameplay questions.

Copy the region1 folder out of the DF/data/save directory, put it on your desktop, delete DF, drop the new version in, and put the region1 folder back in the /data/save directory. (You'll have to create a folder called save to put it into.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

raiker123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

thank you very much

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Either copy the save folder across or install over the top, accepting all overwrites.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Extract the new version of DF in a new directory.  Make a data/save/ subdirectory under the new one.  Copy (recursively) the data/save/regionN/ directory from the old version into the new version.  Then optionally, delete the old DF version's directory.  (I'd probably leave it alone until I'm convinced the new version is stable enough to play.  That hasn't been an issue lately, but it's happened before.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz